Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 22:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 09:23 

emailed to member today:

Quote:
Hi folks

Well, at long last I have a meaningful survey to be carried out on the IAM website. It's to do with Speed ... sorry, Safety ... Cameras and peoples perception of them. There are 7 questions on Safety Cameras and Penalties on the first page and on the second page there are three questions about you (your age band, male or female, and approximately which region of the UK you live).

All the questions need to be completed please. They will all contribute to the IAM's opinion on the matter and the results may be used in publicity material or an article by the IAM.

Last of all, you will be asked for your email address at the end of the survey. Becasue of the importance of this information to the IAM, we need to be certain we have "verified" results and this is done by emailing a password to the person who has just completed the survey. That allows you to reply to the email and confirm your opinion (or visit a web page link at a later date and conform your opinions through that way). It is important that you do this final step please because "verified" results have greater "worth" than unverified results. You may be worried about what happens to your email address when you do this. The answer is "Nothing". We will not use it for any other purpose or pass it on to any third parties - it is purely used to verify the results. Nothing more.

Ok, where do I view and (hopefully!) undertake this 10 question survey?

Just go to http://www.iam.org.uk/phpQ/fillsurvey.php?sid=35 and there you are - it is on the IAM Website.

Please note that the Survey will close on the 30th June. Please remember that this is important to the IAM.

Regards (and thanks in advance for completing the survey)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 09:28 
User

I don't like those questions much, they read like exactly the sort of questions that get the answers twisted into "100% of IAM members support the use of speed cameras".

Why doesn't anybody dare to ask the real questions: do you think speed cameras are saving lives? Are you a safer driver knowing that the slightest deviation of a randomly selected speed could cause you to lose your job?...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 09:34 

my thoughts exactly - I've just mailed the following:

Subject: Re: [IAM-Survey] Survey on "Safety" Cameras - biased questions!

To: survey-owner@lists.iam.org.uk
cc: webmaster@iam.org.uk

Come on folks, where are the real questions we want to answer?

e.g.

Do you think speed cameras are working to reduce casualties
Do you think camera partnerships have the right priorities
Do you think the "speed kills" message is over simplified
Do you think speed limits are too low

best regards

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:25 

Well - I've no idea how they converted the biased answers to their conclusions, but there are some positives to come out of the survey.

http://www.iam.org.uk/Pressroom/News_Re ... nr0512.pdf

- drivers want speed limits painted on cameras
- all cameras to be highly visible not just some
- no standards for setting limits causing frustration

“The thinking behind the speed limits on many roads simply isn’t clear to many drivers, causing widespread frustration and disobedience. We need a national review so that speed limits are set at levels which are sensible, understandable and acceptable.”