Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 22:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Threat to M4 Protest
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:43 
User

:gatso1:
I just heard on the BBC that fuel protestors have begun picketing Shell's Cheshire refinery. Hopefully we'll still have enough fuel to hold the protest?

Gosh, I hope there'll be enough fuel for the Gatso's too? :twisted: :gatso3:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/ ... 480257.stm

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:52 
User

the farmers couldnt wait for the protests to start next week :x

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 14:01 
User

can't say I really blame them-scameras aint the ONLY issue that Labour have really fucked us all up on. :x

I haven't had a proper wage rise in 3 years because of rising fuel prices.
It costs 10% more for diesel here now than it did during the original fuel protest.

I'd be up there myself if I owned my own truck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 14:11 
User

dont get me wrong, i am not criticising what they are doing. it is the fact that they couldnt wait a week to join in with the planned blockades with everyone else that bugs me. blockading one refinery in the hope that all the others will be blockadedwith absolutely zero organisation is not the way to do it. there was talks in wales on wednesday and in my home town of stirling on friday. they agreed to protest from may 3rd but these farmers have gone ahead a week early with no support. totally pointless.
incidentally, i dont have my own truck but i intend to join the numbers at fawley next week. this is something i tried to spark off a while ago myself :wink:

SSAFA supporter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 14:17 
User

Fair comment. I guess a bunch of unorganised yokels running mostly on red diesel and whining about the price of it at 23p/litre isn't the best image to project when we're paying over 90p/litre at the majority of pumps now.. (I know that's inflammatory but it IS unfortunately the image they project to the masses-whether or not it's true is a different argument)

You've got to admire their tactics though- get there 1st and people are going to notice you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 15:04 
New User
New User

Nos4r2 wrote:
Fair comment. I guess a bunch of unorganised yokels running mostly on red diesel and whining about the price of it at 23p/litre isn't the best image to project when we're paying over 90p/litre at the majority of pumps now.. (I know that's inflammatory but it IS unfortunately the image they project to the masses-whether or not it's true is a different argument)

You've got to admire their tactics though- get there 1st and people are going to notice you...

"bunch of unorganised yokels" ?? Flame suit on :grin: You should never criticise farmers with your mouth full ! :nono:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 15:07 
Life Member
Life Member

A blockade takes time to make an impact , starting early gives more time for people to learn about it and the effects to be felt.

from little acorns oak trees come...............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 15:23 
User

mixit wrote:
Nos4r2 wrote:

"bunch of unorganised yokels" ?? Flame suit on :grin: You should never criticise farmers with your mouth full ! :nono:

LOL yeah well- I never said that was MY opinion, just the image they project. I could say as much inflammatory stuff about truckers-and I AM a trucker. The point really is that to gain popular support from the "sheep" that are the general public then protesting over paying 23p/litre really isnt a good idea. Truckers protesting over 91p/litre and blockading Downing Street AND the refineries would be a far more effective protest. The general public pay the same prices for fuel that transport companies do-and are therefore much more likely to back it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 15:58 
User

TC001 wrote:
A blockade takes time to make an impact , starting early gives more time for people to learn about it and the effects to be felt.

from little acorns oak trees come...............

it takes a very short time to make an impact. 7 days would take months to recover from. not everyone would recover from that. small businesses running trucks would be put into administration if they were off the road for that long but a lot of them cant survive anyway so it makes little difference. the public would feel the pinch within 3 - 4 days when fuel tanks are empty and the fresh food has run out.
blockading a refinery a week early will only annoy people and would have little effect. they should have waited until they were ready to hit EVERY refinery at once. the sort of organisation that is evident here with the M4 protest is what should happen. you all know the date and time to act. that is how it should be

SSAFA supporter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 09:54 
New User
New User

Quote:
A spokeswoman for Shell said that tanker movements had not been disrupted and there has been no impact on supply.

I don't think there's much need to worry - yet, at least :)
I had to walk to work during the 2000 protests (7 miles each way) and that wasn't much fun. I hope they don't start blockading the refineries again...that would really screw up my plans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:14 
User

Im very happy the fuel protests are back on the agenda and I dont think that the farmers starting things off a week early will be that detrimental to the cause. As long as an organised and fully backed protest from truckers comes off then I thoroughly believe you will get the same backing as you did last time mainly from the majority of motorists.

The inescapable fact remains that prices are too high and people dont like it. Who protests about it is secondary in my eyes.

Although the 2000 protest was successful in ways in still wasnt enough to scare the government into being more careful with petrol prices.
This protest (if it comes off) has to achieve this.
I also dont hope this is just a flash in the pan protest because there is a general election coming. This protest has to last longer and be stronger than ever before and most importantly accept no more compromises from the government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:18 
User

there is a petition running too. sign it here
http://www.findcheappetrol.com/

SSAFA supporter