Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 16:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 13:14 
New User
New User

For months, hundreds of Mini owners have been looking forward to next weekend, it's the MiniWorld Riviera Run, and 400 plus Minis will be travelling from Reading Services to Newquay in Cornwall, stopping at most of the services along the way to pick up more Minis. The route takes in the whole of the area you're planning to disrupt, and is scheduled to leave Membury at 10.am.

Quote:
We hope that you will have an enjoyable day out.

You've probably just ruined ours! :banghead: :furious:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 13:24 
Former Police Officer
Former Police Officer

I dont think we will have as we'll be going at 56 mph which is far faster thanm a mini acheives anyway :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 13:25 
User

The protest may be "ruining" one day for one group of people but the scamera partnerships that we're protesting against are ruining much more than that.

I'm sure you'll be fine in your little Minis pootling along at 50 mph!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 13:31 
User

Location: Swindon, the home of the Magic Roundabout and no traffic planning
Patch wrote:
I dont think we will have as we'll be going at 56 mph which is far faster thanm a mini acheives anyway :twisted:

Nice one Patch, looks like the mini owners just got "Owned"

They could always join in with the fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 13:46 
User

clive wrote:
The protest may be "ruining" one day for one group of people but the scamera partnerships that we're protesting against are ruining much more than that.

I'm sure you'll be fine in your little Minis pootling along at 50 mph!

can you be more clear what you're protesting? I have heard a few different arguments and I am confused about the objective now :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 13:53 
Gold Member
Gold Member

MiniKay wrote:
For months, hundreds of Mini owners have been looking forward to next weekend, it's the MiniWorld Riviera Run, and 400 plus Minis will be travelling from Reading Services to Newquay in Cornwall, stopping at most of the services along the way to pick up more Minis. The route takes in the whole of the area you're planning to disrupt, and is scheduled to leave Membury at 10.am.

Quote:
We hope that you will have an enjoyable day out.

You've probably just ruined ours! :banghead: :furious:

Join in (this affects you if you like driving as any self-respecting mini enthusiast should), Use the A4 to bypass the stretch (and rejoin the M4 to visit the services on the way) or use the A33 to Basingstoke followed by the A303 and meet Exeter. Far nicer drive anyway!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 14:26 
User

MiniKay, a little disruption is but a small price to pay in order to bring the disgust of so many to the eyes and ears of those who started this complete scam.
As a total Mini enthusist (that's why I'm 'Cooperman') we must all be prepared to 'do our bit'.
Anyway, personally I feel that 56 mph is far to fast. It's the speed limit proposed by some Europrat as the maximum across all of Europe. £0 mph would be more appropriate, or even complete stoppage for 3 hours to block the M'way completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 14:26 
New User
New User

The Run Schedule is published in MiniWorld Magazine, some people will go another way to avoid it, but most will stick to the 'official' route, as we meet up with people at services on the route. If you're planning to park all the cars up at Membury it will be chaotic as the car park is always taken over by Minis each year.

Not my idea of fun to be stuck on a motorway when we're off for a long weekend break I'm afraid.

We don't like speed cameras any more than you do, contrary to your sarcastic comments (you guys certainly know how to make friends), we are all quite capable of breaking the speed limits, and some if we wanted to.

Can't you do it in the afternoon, give us a chance to get clear of it first? No doubt it'll serve your purpose to see hundreds of Minis stuck in the jams you've caused.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 14:38 
Life Member
Life Member

minikay, please talk to the real organisers

[url]http://www.m4protest.org/
[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 14:43 
New User
New User

:? :? If you're not the organisers, how come there's a link from that website to here? That's how I found this forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 14:44 
Site Admin

MiniKay wrote:
Can't you do it in the afternoon, give us a chance to get clear of it first? No doubt it'll serve your purpose to see hundreds of Minis stuck in the jams you've caused.

It might be possible - I'll liaise with the other organisers and get back to you.

Edited to add... Can you liaise and skip membury?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 14:46 
New User
New User

I'm a very upset mini owner.......!!!

I have to plead with anyone who has half a brain cell to understand that we have been planning this trip (the Riviera Run) for a whole year, we are all looking forward to our break, but will not be happy if we get stuck in a protest... Most of the minis will not be able to stand a slow drive on the motorway and will probably over heat... Ruining not just the run, but the whole week for most people as it can cause major problems to a mini engine!!! :oops:

Patch, as far as your comments go about only being able to reach 56 MPH in a mini anyway, you obviously have never driven one :P

PLEASE consider changing your protest date to another weekend, the cameras are going nowhere, they can still be protested about in a months time or even this weekend instead!!!

Don't spoil the only chance of a break most of us are going to get this summer...

We ALL agree these cameras are wrong, but please consider our point of view, not just your own....

Cooperman, I live only a few miles from you in Warboys and can't believe you are willing to drive all the way to the M4 for a speed camera protest rather than join the mini convoy and come to Newquay for a chilled out weekend... Madness!!!!

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 14:48 
User

Kay, it's called 'NIMBY-ism'. (not in my back yard). In other words, you seem to be saying 'feel free to protest in the afternoon and disrupt other peoples lives, but not mine, please'.
The more vehicles involved in all this the better, and a fitting contribution from the Mini owners will be great. Don't forget, I'm a Mini owner with 2 Minis, a '64 Cooper 'S' and a 1990 Cooper 1275, both fully prepared rally cars.
Anyway, we Mini owners have no more rights to the car park at Membury, or anywhere else for that matter, unless we have paid a special price to have it closed to other vehicles - and we haven't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 14:51 
New User
New User

Published schedule is:

Leave Reading Services 9.00am
Leave Membury Services 10.00am
Leave Leigh Delamere Services 11.00am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 14:55 
New User
New User

Cooperman, the normal volume of traffic on that road on a Saturday isn't too bad, add hundreds of Minis to it and it gets very busy. It was bad enough a few years back when the FA Cup Final in Cardiff or somewhere fell on the same day as the Riviera Run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 15:03 
New User
New User

Cooperman wrote:
Kay, it's called 'NIMBY-ism'. (not in my back yard). In other words, you seem to be saying 'feel free to protest in the afternoon and disrupt other peoples lives, but not mine, please'.
The more vehicles involved in all this the better, and a fitting contribution from the Mini owners will be great. Don't forget, I'm a Mini owner with 2 Minis, a '64 Cooper 'S' and a 1990 Cooper 1275, both fully prepared rally cars.
Anyway, we Mini owners have no more rights to the car park at Membury, or anywhere else for that matter, unless we have paid a special price to have it closed to other vehicles - and we haven't.

So, say you had something special planned on this particular day, that you have been looking forward to all year.... You'd be glad to let this protest go ahead on the same day and ruin your holiday...?!

I doubt it......

Nobody wants it cancelled, just postponed for a few hours.
We would like you to understand that it won't be an ordinary go slow protest when there are hundreds of minis involved too, most of them carrying young children and pets for a camping holiday...!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 15:11 
Site Admin

Will you Mini guys PLEASE get me in touch with your organisers?

I'm on 01862 832000

I'm an M4protest organiser.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 15:12 
Supporter
Supporter

Why don't you head the convoy? or leave earlier? there is only 50 of you after all

Cheers,
matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 15:14 
User

mini_the _minx wrote:
I'm a very upset mini owner.......!!!

I have to plead with anyone who has half a brain cell to understand that we have been planning this trip (the Riviera Run) for a whole year, we are all looking forward to our break, but will not be happy if we get stuck in a protest... Most of the minis will not be able to stand a slow drive on the motorway and will probably over heat... Ruining not just the run, but the whole week for most people as it can cause major problems to a mini engine!!! :oops:

Patch, as far as your comments go about only being able to reach 56 MPH in a mini anyway, you obviously have never driven one :P

PLEASE consider changing your protest date to another weekend, the cameras are going nowhere, they can still be protested about in a months time or even this weekend instead!!!

Don't spoil the only chance of a break most of us are going to get this summer...

We ALL agree these cameras are wrong, but please consider our point of view, not just your own....

Cooperman, I live only a few miles from you in Warboys and can't believe you are willing to drive all the way to the M4 for a speed camera protest rather than join the mini convoy and come to Newquay for a chilled out weekend... Madness!!!!

Thanks

Hey, Minx,

I'm not going anywhere this weekend. I have to complete the re-fit of the engine/box in my 1990 F1400 Enduro Rally Mini and work some more on the engine of my 1964 Historic Rally Car to get it back to its 115 bhp after the transfer gear stripped on the last rally with all the broken bits going through the box and oil pump!
However, I do support the protest, even though I think the target speed of 56 is far too high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 15:14 
New User
New User

Paul, I've contacted MiniWorld and they will call you.