Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 23:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 04:31 
Site Admin

Hi All,

Are any folk here active with a car club or owner's club?

I think Safe Speed should develop some closer associations with these organisations. We might offer membership discounts or something. My real objective here is to find more supporters ('spiritual' supporters and financial supporters).

Any ideas about contacts, approaches or anything welcomed.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 08:57 

SafeSpeed wrote:
Hi All,

Don't leave out motorcycle clubs as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 18:00 
Gold Member
Gold Member

You could do worse than have a look here, Paul:-

http://www.network54.com/Forum/15639

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 21:40 
New User
New User

SafeSpeed wrote:
Hi All,

I think Safe Speed should develop some closer associations with these organisations. We might offer membership discounts or something. My real objective here is to find more supporters ('spiritual' supporters and financial supporters).

Any ideas about contacts, approaches or anything welcomed.

Might be worth having a look here http://www.7seriesforum.co.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 22:48 

Nearest I get to an "owners club" is here...

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/

However I'm also involved with one or two local motor clubs due to my rallying interests. Now I guess a typical local Motor Club has 100-150 members and is affiliated to the RAC MSA (the Governing body for motorsport in the UK) so they can run events - rallies or whatever.

More to ther point, if my experiences are anything to go by, they almost universally produce a monthly paper newsletter, for which some poor soul is permanently pleading and begging for copy! Given that you can take support within such organisations virtually as a "given" I would go as far as to say that you'd probably have no trouble whatsoever getting a page a month FOC in the average motor club newsletter in which to propogate the message.

If you were to knock some of the resources you already have into easily digestible articles covering the basics I reckon your average motor club editor would lap it up.

I think there are about 500-600 affiliated motor sport clubs in the UK - I can get my hands on a list of secretaries...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 23:49 
Site Admin

JT wrote:
Nearest I get to an "owners club" is here...

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/

However I'm also involved with one or two local motor clubs due to my rallying interests. Now I guess a typical local Motor Club has 100-150 members and is affiliated to the RAC MSA (the Governing body for motorsport in the UK) so they can run events - rallies or whatever.

More to ther point, if my experiences are anything to go by, they almost universally produce a monthly paper newsletter, for which some poor soul is permanently pleading and begging for copy! Given that you can take support within such organisations virtually as a "given" I would go as far as to say that you'd probably have no trouble whatsoever getting a page a month FOC in the average motor club newsletter in which to propogate the message.

If you were to knock some of the resources you already have into easily digestible articles covering the basics I reckon your average motor club editor would lap it up.

I think there are about 500-600 affiliated motor sport clubs in the UK - I can get my hands on a list of secretaries...

Wow, John, that's excellent. Let's give it a go. Does anyone want to take it on as a responsibility? We could appoint a Safe Speed 'club liaison officer'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 00:18 

That's about what it needs. I only wish I had the time, but right now I'm flat out with work plus sorting a forthcoming house move, plus meeting the demands of my young family etc etc... :roll:

If anyone wants to pick it up I'm certainly happy to give ideas of how to pitch it etc, I used to write a fair bit for our club so I know the target audience pretty well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 19:31 
New User
New User

here's a couple: http://www.hdrcgb.org.uk www.mag-uk.org/index2.html
might get some interest here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 21:55 
User

I'm a member of the Mazda MX-5 Owners Club www.mx5oc.co.uk / www.mx5ocforum.co.uk.

Although only an owner of a car and not an official paid up club member, I also spend time on the Nissan 200SX Owners Club - www.sxoc.co.uk - it is a busy forum with lots of users.

I've already posted a link from the site I run, www.barryboys.co.uk, to the m4protest site and I'll probably change this to a permanent SafeSpeed link after the protest. We get 130Gb of traffic a month (fuelled partly by a weekly feature in EMAP's Zoo Magazine) so hopefully it'll bring a bit of extra attention to your good cause. Unfortunately, we have enough trouble getting more than a couple of our 6,000 members to pay a few quid towards the hosting fees, so I don't imagine barryboys would be good for financial support although I'm sure there would be lots of moral support!