Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 18:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Writing to MPs
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 09:45 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

My local MP is widely regarded as someone who does a good job for her constituents, even by those who don't share her (New Labour) political stance.

Over the years I've written to her on a range of issues, about half of which were the kind of topics discussed on this forum. Not excessively, but maybe once or twice a year, and always couched in polite and moderate terms.

I can't say she's ever been noticeably sympathetic to any concerns I have raised, and on several occasions she has simply replied saying "I note your views on the subject of x, and I will make sure they are passed on to the Minister responsible", clearly implying that she doesn't agree at all.

Is this a waste of time, or are MPs likely to be influenced by the weight of their postbag on particular subjects?

Has anyone else had particularly good or bad experiences of dealing with MPs?

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:15 
User

I've had both experiences.
Went to see one of B Liars babes, a problen with the Completely Stupid Agency(CSA), as soon as I started my tale, I could see the complete lack of interest and just "pay up" attitude apearing.
Moved house into another Labour MPs area.
Wrote letter to my new MP about the CSA, written response within a week, and a good result from the CSA.

"She" is new labour, he is old Labour, and a bit of a Maverick, doesn't always toe the party line, pity he is Labour, otherwise a good MP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:18 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Dratsabasti wrote:
I've had both experiences.
Went to see one of B Liars babes, a problen with the Completely Stupid Agency(CSA), as soon as I started my tale, I could see the complete lack of interest and just "pay up" attitude apearing.
Moved house into another Labour MPs area.
Wrote letter to my new MP about the CSA, written response within a week, and a good result from the CSA.

"She" is new labour, he is old Labour, and a bit of a Maverick, doesn't always toe the party line, pity he is Labour, otherwise a good MP.

Is this by any chance Shona McIsaac and Austin Mitchell you are referring to? :wink:

Have you ever contacted either of them about road safety issues?

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:58 

It's worth remembering that if you write to your MP the HAVE to reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 16:19 

dito the council