The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: HAZARD TEST.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 16:43 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Could this be the cause why I'm seeing newer drivers unable to spot a car in a street with one lane blocked by parked cars . OH ,they spot me when a few yards away . Till then the hazard test reckons I'm not a hazard. But my experience of a lot of years driving on single track roads taught me that it's advisable to spot early and "make the decision" early . The hazard test is an improvement, but it's preferable to spot hazards a long way off and take action, not when they're in yer face.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: HAZARD TEST.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 18:43 
User

:gatso2: That's certainly what I've been taught by the likes of the IAM and RoADA. Safe driving has more to do with how well you can read the road ahead and behind than staring at the speedometer.

Last edited by CJG on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:50, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:31 

Exactly right, I'm amazed at how many drivers only seem to focus on an area about 20 feet in front of their bonnet, does no-one teach about varying your vision to scan the road as far ahead as your sight line anymore.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 15:19 
Gold Member
Gold Member

20 ft- round here the mums only seem to look at the "hazard test " distance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:58 

What is the hazard test distance? I never realised there was one but that would explain why so many seem to concentrate on a space just in front of their bonnets. The number of times I've seen people following buses at about 20 feet (probably less too) and then when the bus pulls up at a stop they won't go past it, even though the road is clear, because they can't see round it.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:19 
Gold Member
Gold Member

What I'm referring to as distance is the attitude by driving testers ( or so it seems to me from listening to those who've done it ) that a hazard only becomes a hazard when it gets within a certain distance .I've heard of some folk failing the hazard test for reacting too soon to a hazard.
Possibly why a lot of emergency vehicles get missed till the last minute.
I posted originally as I'm now seeing a lot of younger drivers on roads with a lot of parked cars failing to take any avoiding action till the last minute. And wondered what effect the teaching about the hazard test is having .