Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 15:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New mobile speed traps
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 08:52 
User

Folks,

The police are out in force around the Bristol area with mobile speed traps. Today I saw two motorcycle cops in different locations at the side of the road with small cameras on tripods. This was in a country area where I have never seen speed traps before, in at least 10 years of riding.

In both cases the cameras were facing towards me as I approached, but to be honest I just hadn’t expected it and misread the situation. I thought the first one was just a biker broken down, until I got close enough to see the detail.

I wasn’t speeding, as I knew the limits (the traps were just where 40 mph limits changed to derestricted). With the second trap, oncoming motorists had flashed me and waved well before the trap. Dumb me, I thought it was something wrong with my bike, as I just didn’t expect another cop in this remote area! But it slowed me down well before the 40mph limit.

Anyway, I’m guessing that the cameras don’t record an oncoming bike, for obvious reasons, but going in the other direction would be a very different matter. Then, googling the police website I find there are mobile traps all over the place, changing on a weekly basis.

Conclusion? Well, you would have to be a blinkin mastermind to remember and avoid all these traps. It seems that the hooning biker’s days are numbered.

C.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 21:14 
Site Admin

Certainly I've heard of various areas increasing activity towards bikers. AFAIK they take a speed reading with video from which ever direction they choose. The aim being at least to stop people straight away.
For their intentions to stop immediately is really good.
I'm hoping it is for all aspects of travelling safely, applying proportionate enforcement, but if it is merely for speed alone that is very disappointing. Treating bikers more like shooting ducks to perhaps satisfy targets.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 13:36 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Bikes- problem is that time of the year is prime time for Mini moto & stripped down mopeds to be out in local estates . Only takes a few mothers ranting about "speeding " bikes for the cash strapped speed vans to mobilise. Next problem is that only the honest biker will suffer. The vans can't operate where the problem is rife and if a patrol turns up to a report ( if there's sufficient on duty to warrant attendance), the culprits know where to run so that the cars can't follow. As for the off road bikes, I see them out same time every year for a short time .