Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 05:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 23:37 
Site Admin

Busy road turned into a head-on death trap after council paints on 5ft cycle lanes but NO central markings

Northumberland Council installed wide cycle lanes on both sides of road
At same time they removed the white central markings dividing the stretch
Now motorists are forced to travel along the centre to avoid the boxes
Say it has made the road into a death trap and fear a head-on collision

By Keiligh Baker for MailOnline
Published: 10:15, 5 January 2016 | Updated: 12:56, 5 January 2016

A busy road has been turned into a potential death trap after council chiefs decided to paint 5ft-wide cycle lines along each side of the road - but did not bother to put in any central markings.

Motorists travelling on the B6530 in Corbridge, Northumberland, say whenever they drive along the stretch the new markings push cars travelling in both directions into the centre of the road.

They claim they risk their lives every time they drive through the village, ever since highways officials at Northumberland County Council made the unusual decision back in November.
Motorists travelling on the B6530 in Corbridge, Northumberland, say whenever they drive along the stretch the new cycle lane markings (pictured) push cars travelling in both directions into the centre of the road

Before: The road pictured before the cycle lanes were drawn on and the central markings removed

The extra wide cycle lanes were installed on Newcastle Road with no prior warning, and the white central markings were painted over at the same time.

The move means bemused motorists are now forced to drive in the middle of the road to avoid the cycle lanes - and they fear it could cause a serious accident as the cycle lanes are so wide a car could park in them.

The council claim the advisory lanes advertise the presence of the Hadrian's Cycleway route 72, which passes through the village, and will also help to reduce vehicle speeds.

But motorists have branded them a hazard as they are being forced to dodge drivers coming up the centre travelling in the opposite direction.

The extra wide cycle lanes were installed on Newcastle Road with no prior warning, and the white central markings were painted over at the same time

Bus driver James Simpson, 41, told The Express: 'There's a point in the road where cars are travelling around a blind bend in opposite directions on what has become one carriageway.
'There have been reports of some near-misses but it's surely a matter of time before there's a serious accident.
'The white lines along the centre of the road suddenly disappear with cycle lanes appearing on both sides. I got the shock of my life when I came across a van driving straight at me.'

Maurice Hodgson, chairman of Corbridge Parish Council, said: 'The clanger was the county council didn't consult, so nobody knew about it. It's caused mayhem and left a lot of people confused.'
He told the Hexham Courant: 'I'm an occasional cyclist myself and would usually support this type of thing, but nobody can deny the way it has been handled is stupid.'

The parish council wants Northumberland Country Council to reinstate the central white line and the markings on the cycle lanes changed to red.

Jean Fearon, the village's county councillor, said residents have written letters of complaint about the lanes, with many claiming the country council did not tell them about the new cycle lanes.
She said: 'I think the lanes are dangerous.'

A spokesman for Northumberland County Council said: 'The trial will last until the end of the next summer, between August and September.
'During the trial we will be monitoring the road, gathering feedback and carrying out speed surveys.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3wsppWCrY
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Additional Artical Links :
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/631411 ... ycle-lanes
http://www.hexham-courant.co.uk/news/co ... e06235b-ds

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 00:51 
Site Admin

This neigh defies belief!

They have a legal obligation to provide proper marking on the road. Even to do this as an experiment seems that it ought to be illegal as it's totally unpredictable, unexpected (no warning signs of road or marking changes, no warning of no central line), and whilst it doesn't take much to see that you have to travel across the cycle lane - it's going against the normal expectations.
Thus drivers try to avoid the 'lane' marked off, and thus pushing them into the 'middle' of the road.
This psychological game is extremely dangerous and needs to be abandoned.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 18:33 

It's the same here in Shrewsbury

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.70069 ... 312!8i6656

In all fairness, the road is plenty wide enough here for two to pass comfortably without going into the cycle lane but you would be surprised how many do travel in the cycle lane (about 50%)

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 16:09 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
This neigh defies belief!

They have a legal obligation to provide proper marking on the road. Even to do this as an experiment seems that it ought to be illegal as it's totally unpredictable, unexpected (no warning signs of road or marking changes, no warning of no central line), and whilst it doesn't take much to see that you have to travel across the cycle lane - it's going against the normal expectations.
Thus drivers try to avoid the 'lane' marked off, and thus pushing them into the 'middle' of the road.
This psychological game is extremely dangerous and needs to be abandoned.

It's not marked off, it's dashed, which means you're allowed to cross the line if it's safe to do so.

Less is more in my book as far as signs and markings go.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 18:05 
User

If the cycle lane is not edged with a sold line, ignore it.
That's what I do locally.
Few cyclists use the lane anyway, they use the pavement.

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 18:13 
User

And my local council, run by an elected mayor [mare] has decided to increase the number of average speed camera equipped roads.
The A421 (M1 to A1 link section) has become an accident black road (since it carries a LOT of traffic, it is no surprise) and the clarion-call is for "speed cameras".
Just how speed cameras would have stopped road kill 1 (hit-and-run)
Several vehicle collision, two dead, multiple injuries near the A6/A421 junction (notorious locally for people NOT being in the right lane for exit and swerving across)
Oh well...

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 08:37 
User

jomukuk wrote:
Few cyclists use the lane anyway, they use the pavement.

No wonder, with people like you ignoring the cycle lane markings!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 08:38 
User

Article wrote:
Transport for London (TfL) suggested there has been a "statistically significant reduction in vehicle speeds" as a result of removing the central markings.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35480736

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 19:42 

Except everyone, who isn't in the Barmy Army, knows that slower isn't always safer....some people will never learn.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 02:54 

Apart from the fact that as a cyclist I hate painted on cycle lanes because they encourage motorists to pass too close I don't see the problem.

It's pretty standard for minor roads in (for instance) The Netherlands, and they seem to cope.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:34 
User

They're not mandatory, so why bother driving on the "road" if the cycle lane is unoccupied?