Post subject: Driving licence changes
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 00:09 
Site Admin

]Driving licence changes
Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
First published: 18 July 2014
Last updated: 27 February 2015 , see all updates
Part of:Transport

Updates and advice to motorists on abolition of the counterpart to the photocard driving licence.
Driving licence photocard and counterpart

From 8 June 2015, the paper counterpart to the photocard driving licence will not be valid and will no longer be issued by DVLA. The counterpart was introduced to display driving licence details that could not be included on the photocard. These details include some vehicle categories you are entitled to drive and any endorsement/penalty points.

Please note, this does not affect photocard licences issued by DVA in Northern Ireland.

What this means for you
Customers with existing paper counterparts
Driving licence photocard and counterpart

If you already hold a paper counterpart, after 8 June 2015 it will no longer have any legal status. You should destroy your paper counterpart after this date but you still need to keep your current photocard driving licence.
Customers with paper driving licences

Paper driving licence
Paper driving licences issued before the photocard was introduced in 1998 will remain valid and should not be destroyed.
If you need to update your name, address or renew your licence, you will be issued with a photocard only.

Penalty points (endorsements)
From 8 June 2015 penalty points (endorsements) will no longer be shown on driving licence. This information will be held on DVLA’s driver record, and can be checked online, by phone or post.

How to check your driving licence details
Our free View Driving Licence service lets you see what details are on your licence, including what vehicles you can drive and any penalty points you may have.

Confirming your driving record to an employer or when hiring a vehicle
After 8 June 2015 if you are hiring a vehicle or you drive for a living and you are asked to provide evidence of your driving record (entitlements and/or penalty points), you will be able to do this online for free by accessing our Share Driving Licence service. This service is currently in development but will be available before the counterpart is abolished. The service should be used by both paper and photocard driving licence holders and will also allow you to download a summary of your licence record which can be printed or shared.

Alternatively you can call DVLA and leave permission for your driving record to be checked verbally by a nominated person/organisation.

Organisations and businesses that check the driving licence counterpart
If you rely on the counterpart to check the driving record of customers or employees then the free online Share Driving Licence service will be available before the counterpart is abolished.

This new service will be offered in addition to the existing services, but is designed for those who have a business need for real-time access to the information, and may not wish to call DVLA or be in a position to use an intermediary.

Driving licence information via Share Driving Licence will only be made available with the consent of the driving licence holder.

DVLA stakeholders and commercial customers can keep up to date with developments of these services by following our blog on GOV.UK.

Why is the counterpart being abolished?
The decision to abolish the counterpart was as a result of the government’s Red Tape Challenge consultation on road transportation. It also aligns to DVLA’s Strategic Plan which includes commitment to simplifying our services.
Humm throws up a few issues ...but I guess it was on the cards!
Harder to (perhaps) confirm that any points are removed after the 4 yr period ends. With everything online is that really more convenient ? It's not like I can always access the internet!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 17:20 
Gold Member
Gold Member

As an employer, we check the licenses of staff who might drive the company cars. We do this annually by asking to see the counterpart. Now we will have to use the online Share Driving Licence service.

However, you will not be surprised that we have received absolutely no information about this change from any official sources. June is not far away and this Government IT based service is not yet operational. On previous form, this is worrying.

Is there not a confidentiality issue with the online service if it is a publicly accessible database of driving offences? Hang on, I'll just check if my nextdoor neighbour has been banned for drink driving...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 19:33 
User

The average person will need:

The driving licence number
The drivers National Insurance number
The drivers postcode on the licence

Of course, all this is already available to local councils.

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 23:14 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Easy enough to get a copy ON LINE -https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

You'll need
your driving licence number
your National Insurance number
the postcode on your driving licence
I can see why employers would need proof. before redundancy we all had to provide copies of our licence. Reason- one senior bloke had been caught DD in a company vehicle .Bad enough that we had a drugs and alcohol policy in place ( any stop for testing had to be reported), but said person was on a DD ban .But no one had decided to do an annual audit of licences. I had to produce copies of mine to get a company driving permit, but after that ,NOTHING.

BUT, perhaps I'm having a senior moment, but I seem to remember that as of January 2015, the paper counterpart was being phased out.

And,JO- councils and JSA will look at it , ad it all together with an HMG calculator and come up with 5. Like JSA did many years ago when I last signed on. To try to make ends meet before redundancy ,I did weekend taxi work . Brain of Britain ran some checks at local council and found I'd a valid Taxi licence. I was hauled in and accused of working whilst claiming. :shock: :shock: when I told them that I'd had TWO jobs for the past two years.