Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 13:25 
User

I was driving down a dual carridgeway(a120 in Essex) today, clear visibility and decent conditions when I noticed a police camera on a motorcycle on my side. I was in the fast lane doing anywhere between 78 and 82 mph. Can anyone remind me what speed you generally get fined/courses at on 70 mph dual carridgeways?

It would be pretty embarrassing to get a fine since I am constantly mocked for driving too carefully on most roads, so bit annoyed.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 20:47 

probably around 79MPH which would read about 82ish on most speedos. You are probably borderline.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 22:57 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
WAS 10%+2MPH, but I've heard tell that it can differ. Only nice thing is that if it was Police motorbike, it's either a speed survey, or your speed was not enough to arouse interest, as from TV programs ( Emergency Bikers ) , if you are in excess they usually stop you and give you a lecture or lecture + ticket. As graball says, you could be border line. Speedo could be up to 10 % overread ,and that equals ( at 80 ) ,overread of up to 8MPH,meaning true speed of 72.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 07:19 
User

Ok thanks guys, guess I just have to wait. Do Police Motorbikes always pull you over then if they have clocked you?I may have been doing under 80 I didnt actually see for sure during than mile or so, but I now it wasnt over about 81-82 on the speedo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 17:50 
User

Nothing came through the post, is it still 14 days you have to have received NIP by?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 04:01 

ItsEssexRob wrote:
Nothing came through the post, is it still 14 days you have to have received NIP by?

They have 14 days to post it. Most send them out a lot quicker than that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:09 
User

If later than 14 days they usually try things like ¨registration details not correct on DVLA¨, or ¨slow post¨
Been there...
The 10% + 2mph ONLY refers to POLICE and NOT to council-installed average speed measurment...as many drivers on the A23 heading towards green-taliban-infested Brighton will testify (home of the 4-lane 20mph roads).

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:30 
Site Admin

If it is a company vehicle then it can be 6months!
However 70 is your legal speed limit if you are in a standard car and not towing etc .... :)
A bikecop as others have said ought to have pulled you at the time.
It sounds like he was reminding you than pulling you. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 09:56 
User

Essex police operate mobile units on motorcycles with hand-held laser/camera combinations. These units mostly operate exactly the same as the units in safety camera vans. The units are operated by police officers and police staff.