Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 19:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 18:34 
User

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22867081
As featured on Panorama last night, it looked into the eye popping amounts of cash being generated by local councils by fining drivers for minor moving traffic offences. At the moment councils outside London can only cash in on bus lanes, whereas London boroughs can also fine drivers for illegal right turns and box junction infringements. Other councils outside London would like such powers.

This is all being done in the name of reducing congestion, or ensuring the buses run on time. Which the English Councils roads spokesman seemed to think meant that there could be no argument - in much the same way that speed cameras are only about road safety and how could you not support road safety.

To get the drivers details the councils have access to the DVLA database - and pay a fee for every enquiry, but the DVLA don't have to check if the 'offence' the details are being got for are kosher. The cash goes straight to the council - in the case of just one box junction £2 million in a year - the programme speculated councils wouldn't be so keen to reduce congestion if they didn't keep the cash.

It worries me that any moving traffic offence is in the hands of anyone but the police. And that councils can change restrictions as and when they like. One featured 'bus lane' was no longer than a bus, effectively split a road in two and enforced a one mile detour, for four buses an hour. Friends live in Reading, who generate the most bus lane fines in the UK. They live on a side street of terraced houses, there are rows of these streets and between each side road the bus lane opens and closes.

Hammersmith & Fulham featured heavily in the programme, make millions from these fines. And emails released under the data protection act clearly show that it's all being done as a revenue stream - though the council denies this. Perhaps most revealing is that H&F council admit they've not done any studies to check if all these fines are encouraging better driving and so reducing congestion. Why would they?

And the latest camera systems are fully automatic - using movement pattern software to identify culprits. As the Council spokesman said humans might be tiered or distracted - or miss another £70, heaven forbid.

I know just as with the speed cameras there will be those that say if you obey the rules you have nothing to fear. Which is fine until you're in a strange town in the dark and don't know the local roads or your sat nav says turn right. And a week later a fine drops through the letter box. Very early one Sunday morning in rainy Richmond I nearly entered a bus lane early to turn left - just a couple or three car lengths early. Luckily I was with a local who warned me. Seems the council really like that junction because the traffic going straight on often backs up, so those wanting to turn left are tempted to briefly use the bus lane. Kerrching!

It's all enough to make you weep

Chris

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 01:50 
Site Admin

It is really worrying when Councils are let lose to gain revenue as they please from technical infringements for profit than for road safety.
Pushed by the Camera industry the Councils get tempted and finally cannot resist all those extra coffers and be 'seen to do something'.

The fact that they have failed to provide any research whatsoever prior to confirming need is just outrageous.

As I often say all automated enforcement needs to be removed from our streets. The persecution of our motoring community is a total disgrace. A mistake that doesn't threaten road safety should not receive a fine or prosecution.

In central London now no car will move if there is a red light & so sirens STOP until the green light activates - how utterly mad is that !? How many lives does that cost our communities ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 19:53 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
In central London now no car will move if there is a red light & so sirens STOP until the green light activates - how utterly mad is that !? How many lives does that cost our communities ?

Pardon? I see vehicles making way for blues and twos all the time in central London at red lights, I do it myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 07:57 
User

I don't move into the "red light" zone either, even if blues and two's are behind me.
I also will not stray into a bus lane.

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 08:02 
User

Quote:
Yet, while even the Guardian is beginning to realise that there is something amiss, with local authorities using traffic fines as a means of revenue-raising, the media have not joined up the dots. Councils are making up for the drop in government grants and a freeze on Council Tax by upping their revenue-generation activities.

http://eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=84042

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 01:06 
Site Admin

weepej wrote:
SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Pardon? I see vehicles making way for blues and twos all the time in central London at red lights, I do it myself.
Yep, really, you get a red light camera at the lights and people stop. I have seen it myself many times and I am gobsmacked that Government, Police & Councils have not managed to get together and state clearly that if you are moving out the way for a blue light/siren, then you will not ever receive any fine or NIP for any/all traffic infringements!!
It ought to be really clear, but since tickets have been issued people have decided to save their licence understandably than risk a fine. It is an awful situation where prosecution has pushed itself as a top priority than people's lives.
It was Central London and when lights are green and there is space everyone (albeit is late sometimes) move out of the way as much as possible - I wasn't saying that no one does.