Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 05:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 02:09 
Site Admin

Deaths and serious injuries down a quarter near speed cameras

Analysis of data for 551 fixed speed cameras in 9 areas shows that on average the number of fatal and serious collisions in their vicinity fell by more than a quarter (27%) after their installation.

There was also an average reduction of 15% in personal injury collisions in the vicinity of the 551 cameras.
However the research also highlights 21 camera sites (in the 9 areas) at which, or near which, the number of collisions appears to have risen enough to make the cameras worthy of investigation in case they have contributed to the increases.

The data was released after 2011 as part of a government move to make speed camera operations more transparent to the public. The analysis formed part of work - commissioned by the RAC Foundation and carried out by Professor Richard Allsop of University College London - to provide advice on interpreting speed camera data.
The estimates for collision reduction were made allowing for the more general downward trend in the number of collisions in the 9 areas in recent years, and for the effect of so-called regression to the mean at sites where collision numbers were unusually high in the period before the cameras were installed.

The study comes in the wake of the 2011 instruction from government that speed camera data going back to 1990, detailing accident statistics before and after fixed speed cameras were installed, be made publically available.

Since 2011 only a third (12 out of 36) of the organisations (a mixture of councils, police forces and safer roads partnerships) responsible for the figures have published the information in a format which complies with official Department for Transport guidance.

The RAC Foundation asked Professor Allsop to produce a technical guide for local authorities and other interested parties to help them interpret the complex data. As part of his work Professor Allsop studied data from nine of these authorities (with the data from one area being divided into two groups of cameras) and the results are as follows:

Partnership area - Cameras in partnership area - Average % fall (rise) in Fatal or Serious - All personal Injury collisions near cameras - Number of cameras worthy of investigation
Cambridgeshire and Peterborough 47 - 42 - 0 - 4
Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland 15 - 53 - 29 - 0
Lincolnshire 50 - 15 - 9 - 0
Merseyside 33 - (5) - (10) - 9
South Yorkshire 56 - 16 - 0 - 1
Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent – 1 42 - 44 - 32 - 3
Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent – 2 26 - 29 - 23 - 0
Sussex 55 - 36 - 21 - 1
Thames Valley 203 - 24 - 20 - 1
Warwickshire 24 - 38 - 25 - 2
TOTAL 551 - 27 - 15 - 21

Note: The Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent cameras naturally split into two clear groups. The first group contains cameras at sites where there were relatively few collisions and the second has sites at which there were relatively many.

Professor Stephen Glaister, director of the RAC Foundation, said:
“At the end of 2010 we published a report by Professor Richard Allsop which concluded that without speed cameras there would be around 800 more people killed or seriously injured each year at that time. Overall his new work reinforces those earlier conclusions, but crucially the study has also identified a number of camera sites in the vicinity of which collisions seem to have risen markedly. This may or may not be related to the cameras but warrants further investigation. Therefore, on the basis of this study, we have now written to eleven local authorities suggesting they examine the positioning and benefits of a total of 21-27 cameras.

“This is an intensely complex issue, but there is no one better placed to carry out the task than Professor Allsop and he has now produced a technical guide to help those interested in the subject try and better understand the numbers published for their areas.

“What is disappointing is that only a third of those bodies required to release the data have done so in a readily useable and consistent form.”

This article has received much media coverage and I am delighted to say that I did a TV interview for the BBC yesterday and 16 radio interviews today including Radio 4's Today program.
There is much to say about this and the report which is some 64 pages long is involved. I spent some time along with various statisticians/ road safety experts, who have been studying it over the last 36hrs, to conclude our findings prior to interview. There is much to add.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 14:36 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Don't see any mention of Midlands ,where in Coventry two were moved a while ago as they were "serving no usefull purpose" ( SCP speak for not earninh :D ). Then in Warks ,there's the two on either side of Redgate ,which haven't done much good . There's been a campaign for years to either make this GSJ/ or fit island. Then we return to what makes a mockery of the camera fixated lot .RYTON. Accidents galore at the B4455 JUNCTION,so cameras were fitted along the A45 . The only improvement ( documented on the ABD SITE) came when this junction was improved by installing an island . Locally I've got a photo of a police request for information .The board is placed ,under a camera . On the other side of town ,there was another accident-one self destructed one hot sunny afternoon .

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 03:18 
Site Admin

7 June 2013 Last updated at 13:54

Speed cameras cut injuries by a quarter - RAC research
Speed camera The report authors said the evidence showed that speed cameras were effective
Continue reading the main story

Speed cameras cut the number of serious injuries in road accidents in the areas where they are placed by an average of more than a quarter, a study suggests.
The research by the RAC Foundation was based on data from 551 fixed camera sites in nine areas of England.
Twenty-one sites bucked that trend, however, with the number of injuries going up.
The RAC Foundation said the findings showed how effective speed cameras were for road safety.
The study found that after cameras were installed the average number of fatal or serious injuries fell by 27%.

'Lives saved'
The authors of the report have written to those councils where the figures have risen suggesting that they try to find out why this is the case.
RAC Foundation director Stephen Glaister said: "Safety cameras are contentious, people dispute whether they work.
"But in fact the general public as a whole like them because they want these roads to be made safer.
"If cameras were turned off overnight there would be something like 80 people killed extra a year and 800 people killed or seriously injured.
"So the evidence is very good that on average they do work, they are effective."

Speaking later on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Mr Glaister also said that speed cameras represented "very good value for money".

'No panacea'
But Claire Armstrong, the co-founder of campaign group Safe Speed, disputed his conclusions, arguing that speed was a factor in just 6% of road accidents.

"Speed cameras have unintended consequences and have given rise to some collisions and casualties that would not have occurred if the cameras had not been deployed," she said.
[THIS IS WRONG, I was at this point quoting Professor ALLSOP off the RAC website!]

The main cause of road accidents was driver concentration, she suggested, so reducing speed was not a "panacea".
"If you are simply driving at, let's say, 20mph you are not necessarily concentrating... and if you're not concentrating and paying attention to the road ahead, and you therefore cannot stop in the distance you know to be clear in, it doesn't matter what speed you are doing, you potentially will still have an accident.
"We know there are accidents that will kill you at 3mph and accidents where you will not die at 80mph."
The coalition cut Whitehall funding for speed cameras when it came to power.

It said police and local councils relied on the devices too much, and should use a range of different methods to improve road safety.
But a study last year suggested that so far most councils had kept speed cameras in place.

BBC transport correspondent Richard Westcott said speed cameras have been controversial since they were introduced 20 years ago - but this research suggests most of them make roads safer.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 03:23 
Site Admin

Yep Botach, we need Councils to have full time engineers to enable them to properly comprehend what is required to prevent the cause of accidents. It is a real mess at this time. :( But the message is getting through and I have had many wonderful compliments especially for the Today interview! Even from ex traffic cops ! :) I might compile a fand add them in here tomorrow. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 16:36 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Whether it's the message getting through ,or Plod now feeing that they can say what they've always felt ,I know not, but on a lot of TV programs ( Emergency bikers is one) , "appropriate speed " is coming out more ,than someone "speeding" .

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 21:41 
Site Admin

Yes and there is much more (even from the RAC during the BBC Radio 4, Today Program interview) where he said that other measures needed to be looked at, this is good.
Whether it stems from a genuine understanding and desire that proper science and engineering must be encouraged or whether it is from other intentions I obviously do not know.

However it is a very encouraging indicator that our message and those of others too, is getting through. :lol:

This news has been going all over the place and I have been delighted to have my comments added although a comment they attribute to me wasn't other than that I was quoting Professor Allsop ! Namely that he has stated in an answer "In common with many other safety interventions, speed cameras can have unintended consequences and have given rise to some collisions and casualties that would not have occurred if the cameras had not been deployed"!
Hardly the 'speed cameras save lives' as he states in this recent report! And a shame that it has not been quoted properly as I said it very clearly in the interview that this is what PA said and this is clearly highly significant.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 21:46 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Hardly the 'speed cameras save lives' as he states in this recent report! And a shame that it has not been quoted properly as I said it very clearly in the interview that this is what PA said and this is clearly highly significant.

All safety equipment can itself cause problems, but the question is if on average is having it better than none at all.

Saying that sometimes speed cameras can cause problems does not invalidate the argument that in general they improve matters.

I.e. don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:20 
User

The problem I can read in this report, which is hinted at in the foreward, is that the real causes of deaths and injuries are difficult to ascribe a cause to.

Take the cameras at Ings on the A591, they were "justified" by the SCP there because the KSI history which was above the average for the road. There was NO attempt to take into account the causes of those accidents that led to the deaths and injuries.
After camera operations commenced, KSIs went UP. This was NOT because the anyone drove into the camera, it was simply among other things, foolish behaviour on the part of a drunken pedestrian who decided to lie down in the road, and a couple of people on a motorcycle who were taken by surprise when the car in front braked heavily as he entered the speed limit - some distance back from the cameras.
So what of the accidents before? Well Mr Gaskell had a heart attack at the wheel, and ran off the road into a ditch, ending up upside down, and only the prompt actions of a couple of builders stopped him and his wife drowning before the fire brigade got there.
To use ANY of these accidents to either support or detract from speed cameras is simply wrong - but this report is happy to do so... and if the SCPs do it, then so shall I.

No doubt after sufficient length of time, the KSIs will have gone back down - but the cameras remain, as a source of money, and as people still get caught, to massage the egos of those who invested money in putting them there.

Much of the improvements in accident outcomes in this report could equally be attributed to huge improvements in in-car vehicle safety features, AND better roadside medical care leading to better survival rates - the Air Ambulance, and motorcycle paramedics.

So far, accidents where nobody is injured at all, are rarely recorded, so for instance each of the SEVEN cars that I am aware have overturned or crashed just below Black Moss on the A591 have not appeared in any statistics, and the same goes for THREE (two overturned, one crashed) on the summit of Bannerigg, SINCE the road layout was changed... they simply don't exist once the debris is cleared away!
YET, if somebody had been on the cycle path at the same time as the accident, each could have become a fatal or serious injury accident - if it was a tandem as happened in Bristol, a DOUBLE fatal accident!

So HOW does anyone PROVE beyond doubt that a speed camera saves lives? Well for starters, NOBODY should be caught speeding past it, otherwise it has FAILED in it's job.
Can anyone show me one like that?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 19:23 
Site Admin

weepej wrote:
SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
All safety equipment can itself cause problems, but the question is if on average is having it better than none at all.
Saying that sometimes speed cameras can cause problems does not invalidate the argument that in general they improve matters.
So what problems do you see from what safety equipment ?
I have never said anywhere that they improve matters nor has it been proved that they have ever saved a single life, and it can easily be proved that they have killed lives. Some people have often stated that 'if one life can be saved (the 'whatever' should be implemented)' etc., so on that basis, what when 'one life (and more) have clearly been taken' should they not then dis-approve of that 'whatever' ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 20:53 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:

Cor, lots.

Helmets can obstruct vision. Fire proof jackets can restrict mobility, harnesses and seatbelts can make it slower and more difficult to get out of a crashed vehicle when you need to, cycle helmets have been shown to invite closer passed by motorists, sun visors to stop glare can make things go suddenly dark when you enter a tunnel, I could go literally on forever.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 22:55 
Gold Member
Gold Member

weepej wrote:
SafeSpeedv2 wrote:

Cor, lots.

Helmets can obstruct vision. Fire proof jackets can restrict mobility, harnesses and seatbelts can make it slower and more difficult to get out of a crashed vehicle when you need to, cycle helmets have been shown to invite closer passed by motorists, sun visors to stop glare can make things go suddenly dark when you enter a tunnel, I could go literally on forever.

Almost ad infinumtinum, as his lack of experiance shows. Experiance and education can PREVENT problems on roads. I come from a generation where the emphasis was to get round a bed SAFELY . Next time ,you might get rounfd it faster, but for now - just get it in safety .