Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 08:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 19:39 
Life Member
Life Member

A year ago I started to wear reading glasses for work as while I could see well enough I found that by the end of the day my eyes were taking a long time to adapt to changes of focal length, in other words, presbyopia. Over the last year I have felt my distance vision has become increasingly compromised, I can still read a plate at over 20m, but at 35m it is becoming difficult. After a recent test the optician told me while I was a little short sighted at distance it was not something that needed correcting, even for driving. I asked if they would set up a pair of the test frames with lenses to correct my distance vision and found I had pretty sharp distance vision again with a number plate readable to about 50m and only started to lose some close focus at less than 1 - 1.5m. I went ahead and ordered a pair of glasses for driving as for the price of a couple of tanks of fuel I wanted that sharpness of vision back. It was not so much that I could not see things, it was simply taking longer to take in the picture.

It brings home to me that there are going to be drivers out there that have a problem reading a plate at 20m and are still driving with uncorrected vision. While it is my personal choice at this stage to wear glasses for driving I am wondering if there should be more emphasis on drivers getting regular tests and wearing glasses well before reaching the 20m limit in the HC.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 21:29 
Supporter
Supporter

The reading a number plate at 20m is not a very onerous. It corresponds to visual acuity of 6/12 - 20/40 in old money - which is the fourth line up on Snellen chart with 20/20 as the bottom line. Few ophthalmologists would consider it a job well done if that was the best prescription they could manage for a patient.

Profile Send private message