Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 01:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 16:26 
User

Big Tone wrote:
Funny how the fastest roads, (our motorways), are the safest and the fastest of all roads. :?

All the vehicles are travelling in the same direction, there are no junctions, no pedestrians.

However, break down in lane three on a motorway and you are in an extremely UNSAFE place.

So you sure they are safe?

Big Tone wrote:
Funny how aeroplanes are the fastest and safest means of transport of all. :?

Tone, seriously, that is nothing to do with speed. They have loads of space up there, there's nothing to hit.

Aircraft do actually have a speed limit of 200 knots below 10,000 feet, why do you think this is?

Big Tone wrote:
Anyone read about the, slow moving, air balloon fatalities the other day in Egypt? Maybe if it was going yet slower, (weepej’s answer to everything), they would surely have survived... :idea:

Wow. :loco:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 16:29 
User

PeterE wrote:
weepej wrote:
malcolmw wrote:
To see the problem with "democracy in action" just look at the elections in Italy. The candidates who polled the most votes promised the mob bread just like they did 2000 years ago

You do like speaking is assertions. Quite a lot of evidence to suggest austerity doesn't work.

Also plenty of evidence that, in the long term, spending money you haven't got tends to end in tears.

Or if you borrow money you haven't got to spend on a business and it makes money ... joy?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 17:22 
Gold Member
Gold Member

weepej wrote:
Big Tone wrote:
Funny how the fastest roads, (our motorways), are the safest and the fastest of all roads. :?
All the vehicles are travelling in the same direction, there are no junctions, no pedestrians.
Jesus Christ - now I can die! You just admitted the circumstances matter. So if I’m in a situation where all the vehicles are on my side of the road on a D.C. and are going in the same direction and there are no pedestrians or junctions it can safely dictate a faster speed. :shock:

weepej wrote:
However, break down in lane three on a motorway and you are in an extremely UNSAFE place.
Yes, that happens all the time. Why, I saw it just yesterday in fact, several times. I don’t know how but the motorists suddenly just lost all momentum and stopped in L3. You make a good point there my friend and I think it’s a great argument for making all motorways 30mph :loco:

weepej wrote:
So you sure they are safe?
Show me where I said “they are safe” and I’ll paypal you a million pounds. Actually, I challenge you to show me where anyone here has said that? Do me a favour will you and don’t take what I haven't said out of context! :x So if you’re through acting like a troll for now, I’ll continue...

Andrew Howard, head of road safety at the AA, says motorways are "our safest roads by a long, long way".

"Yes, the safest are Motorways followed by urban roads, the least safe are classified (A+B) country roads, trees always win"

From Wiki: -

Non built-up (excluding motorways) Killed = 1,323 Serious Injury = 8,342 Slight Injury = 48,810 Total Injury = 58,475

Built-up Killed = 1,057 Serious Injury = 16,823 Slight Injury = 143,079 Total Injury = 160,959

Motorway[11] Killed = 158 Serious Injury = 869 Slight Injury = 10,444 Total Injury = 11,471

weepej wrote:
Big Tone wrote:
Funny how aeroplanes are the fastest and safest means of transport of all. :?
Tone, seriously, that is nothing to do with speed. They have loads of space up there, there's nothing to hit.
Good, another admission form you that where there’s “lots of space” and “there’s nothing to hit” it’s safer. (N.B. & FYI - I said ‘safer’ again).

weepej wrote:
Aircraft do actually have a speed limit of 200 knots below 10,000 feet, why do you think this is?
Because there’s parked cars and children about? (A sarcasm detector; that’d be useful).

weepej wrote:
Big Tone wrote:
Anyone read about the, slow moving, air balloon fatalities the other day in Egypt? Maybe if it was going yet slower, (weepej’s answer to everything), they would surely have survived... :idea:
Wow. :loco:
(A sarcasm detector; that’d be useful).

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 17:43 
User

Big Tone wrote:
weepej wrote:
Big Tone wrote:
Funny how the fastest roads, (our motorways), are the safest and the fastest of all roads.

Big Tone wrote:
Show me where I said “they are safe” and I’ll paypal you a million pounds.

Yup, fair enough, but you need to be more accurate too.

They are the "safest" roads for people in vehicles doing a similar speed to those around them (or least dangerous as I'd probably put it).

For pedestrians (or people stuck in lane three) they are the most dangerous roads I imagine. Sure, not many pedestrians are killed on motorways numerically, but I bet it's quite high per pedestrian mile.

Still, arguing that motorways are our safest roads to justify you deciding to travel at 70mph through the local high street is nuts I think you'd agree?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 17:47 
User

Big Tone wrote:
So if I’m in a situation where all the vehicles are on my side of the road on a D.C. and are going in the same direction and there are no pedestrians or junctions it can safely dictate a faster speed. :shock:

Show me where I've ever said this is not the case.

I regularly travel on motorways, and I travel at speeds of up to 70mph along with other traffic, of course things are easier in environment designed for such speeds.

Do you want to see all UK roads designed as such?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 18:46 

Quote:
Or if you borrow money you haven't got to spend on a business and it makes money ... joy?

Wow you really bounced that one off the wall!

What do councils know about business or making money and what does borrowing money to start a business have to do with road safety? :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco:

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 19:18 
Gold Member
Gold Member

weepej wrote:
Do you want to see all UK roads designed as such?
No. I'd personally like to see such things as: -

Consistency of limits between roads of the same, or similar, situations - which we don't have and get worse every year despite improvements in road construction and incredible car safety advancements.

Leniency, or common sense, where situations are obviously safer but break a rule. (Re: my Sig).

Speed cameras in genuine blacks spots where speed is a factor, not a mile away where it isn't a black spot but raises revenue. (Integrity over profit).

Education and training/retraining of the worst group of drivers which WE KNOW to be the greatest risk. (I'm sure I don't need to expand on that). Instead of the self-congratulating pat on the back your type get when a driver with a long impeccable record get done for speeding in a, non, black spot or 'safer' circumstances. (Add to that, Integrity of real statistics).

Education, daily TV broadcasts, for drivers, riders AND pedestrians. Why on earth is this not done ffs!!! Surly, the money it would cost to do this very simple thing would save a fortune paid out from KSI ramifications :banghead:

Attack tailgating with the fervour currently directed towards speeding. :x

This is not a definitive list...

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 22:20 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Big Tone wrote:

Attack tailgating with the fervour currently directed towards speeding. :x

Deffo on my list . We've got a set of :20: limits being vehemently enforced . But little effort in protecting those who respect them ,and less action on tailgaitors trying to force those who decide that this is a safespeed ( not that I'm saying that 20 is correct at all times, something Weepy will no doubt turn upside down ) .
We've also got a the leader of our local council waffling on about cars in the pedestrian area after the bollards go down after a certain time . But no mention of the fact that disabled drivers have spaces in this area .No -it's all about the nasty car & drivers.( WHO incidentally have insurance if they hit a pedestrian). But not about the idiots on two wheels with no sense of anything ,let alone courtesy .
Then we have our local parks , where folks like to go to exercise both themselves and dog. only at certain times we find yoofs on two wheels ( with /without an engine) tearing up & down the area ,making a walk on (say ) the M1 safe compared to this green space .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:36 
User

Seeing the A31 is a trunk road, why does the Councillor for Ringwood, which is a market town off of the A31, think that he should have sole durasdiction on setting the speed limit for the road?

Most of the accidents on this road, as the police have pointed out, are rear end shunts and these tend to occur when the traffic is heavy and generally moving well below 70mph limit. This is often the problem when traffic moves slow, vehicles tend to bunch with too little gaps, so by lowering the speed limit it is likely to make the situation worse by creating a bunching situation most of the time.