The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 19:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 13:11 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
...we know that a train line can carry many more people than any road,

This seems intuitively wrong. The railway line is in use for a very low proportion of the time compared to a road.

I don't know how many passengers are carried from London to Manchester by rail each day on the supposedly "full" network but it cannot compare to the M1/M6 constant flow 24 hrs per day.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 13:16 
User

malcolmw wrote:
Quote:
...we know that a train line can carry many more people than any road,

This seems intuitively wrong. The railway line is in use for a very low proportion of the time compared to a road.

I don't know how many passengers are carried from London to Manchester by rail each day on the supposedly "full" network but it cannot compare to the M1/M6 constant flow 24 hrs per day.

Does it?

M1 from Luton to London carries more people than the train line that runs alongside it during rush hour?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 14:54 
Gold Member
Gold Member

“The maximum throughput of a single motorway lane is currently about 1,800 vehicles per traffic lane per hour (based on the Highway Code 2 second rule) with a throughput of people of about 2,880 (based on average occupancy of 1.6 people per vehicle).

One of the key arguments in favour of High Speed 2 is that there is not sufficient capacity on the roads. High Speed 2 will initially offer four trains an hour with 1,100 seats per train and will therefore only provide 4,400 additional movement per hour”.

So, just to be clear, that’s 2,880 people per hour on a single motorway lane. Now I don’t know of a single motorway lane because the ones I go on are always three lanes, so I don’t know where they got that statistic from :? But let’s run with it for now...

I make that 2,880 x 3 lanes = 8,640. Let’s round it down so as not to deliberately make it look worse for trains. And we haven't mentioned the cost of train travel yet :roll:

We have only got normal, irregular, trains for the foreseeable future, but let’s be optimistic and say we’re using HS2 already shall we. :) That’s still a couple of thousand more people per hour, (every hour), by road unless I’ve missed something?

Also, and this is the point, (or one point Malcolm was making I think), the “not sufficient capacity on the roads”, mentioned above, can be increased with higher speeds. So, aside from the rather weak argument you make weepej, that there’s always likely to be an accident in lane three, I think it’s conclusive that bums in cars have a greater throughput per hour than bums on seats in trains. (Although I’m sure if you look hard enough you may find exceptions, as with most arguments).

Ref

As always, you seem to be trying to make an argument, or have a fight, over something obvious. Having been to Devon more times than I can remember, I know I can get there quicker by maintaining 70mph than this “always going to be a lane or two blocked & going faster makes no difference" argument. If all else fails, and logic isn’t enough, there’s nothing quite like empiricism... :drive1:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 16:55 

Quote:
How can you possibly link this to motoring on open public roads though? When somebody comes off the road and hits a pedestrian on the pavement should we just shrug our shoulders and go "well, what did they expect?".

I agree that people watching rallies, have to expect cars to leave the track, I've seen it many times myself, although never seen anyone get hit, but although people don't expect cars to leave the road and mount pavements (which I am sure counts for very low incidents, compared to other pedestrian accidents and is a weepy red herring), they surely have to expect that if they walk out into a road, either looking or not, that they are putting themselves at risk of being hit by a moving car just as the spectator who stands on the outside of a forest bend does.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 16:58 

Quote:
Less congested? You sure about that? Generally we've observed when new roads are built they just fill up with cars.

And where do these endless supply of cars come from? The magic car tree that all councils plant alongside a new road?

Maybe they come from other roads...surely not!!!!

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 17:20 
Gold Member
Gold Member

graball wrote:
Quote:
Less congested? You sure about that? Generally we've observed when new roads are built they just fill up with cars.

And where do these endless supply of cars come from? The magic car tree that all councils plant alongside a new road?

Maybe they come from other roads...surely not!!!!
That’s what I don’t get Graball. I’ve heard this said before and I’ve never understood it. If you have X amount of cars and Y amount of roads, if you then open a bypass or new motorway, unless there’s some miracle injection of cars overnight, you now have the same amount of cars occupying a larger quantity of road space.

If the current amount of cars starts to fill these extra roads then, logically, that will reduce to there being less cars on the pre-existing road network. It may not feel like it, because there are so many damn cars in such a small country, but that is theoretically what should happen.

If I were teaching Maths for Dummies, using the same principle, if there’s 30 kids in a classroom and I open the store room whereupon 5 kids enter that storeroom, that means there’s now only 25 in the classroom and they have more space. That is, unless, five more new kids enter the classroom all at once. (The equivalent of a load of cars suddenly “injected” into our road network).
Can someone who keeps saying the roads just get filled up explain this phenomenon to me please? :? Maybe it’s because when people hear there is a new road opening in their area, all the families who can afford it suddenly think “I know - We should increase to being a four car family instead”.

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 18:29 
User

Scientific name for it is induced demand apparently.

Tone, what percentage of vehicles in the UK do you think are travelling on the roads at say 8am the morning?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_demand

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 18:48 

There are only so many drivers in the UK (30 million I think) they aren;t suddenly going to increase overnight if a new motorway opens and those without cars aren't suddenly going to buy one just because a new motorway has opened.

Ok if the price of luxury yachts or apartments in Monaco, dropped overnight, you would expect a bigger demand but i really don't see people buying a car just because a new bypass comes to town.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 18:52 
User

graball wrote:
There are only so many drivers in the UK (30 million I think) they aren;t suddenly going to increase overnight if a new motorway opens and those without cars aren't suddenly going to buy one just because a new motorway has opened.

Ok if the price of luxury yachts or apartments in Monaco, dropped overnight, you would expect a bigger demand but i really don't see people buying a car just because a new bypass comes to town.

Yet we have satnav companies marketing satnavs that are clever enough to direct you past the new bypass through the town 'cos the bypass they built to relieve town traffic is full of vehicles...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 18:54 

Quote:
Tone, what percentage of vehicles in the UK do you think are travelling on the roads at say 8am the morning?

Go, on, what's the answer? I'm intrigued if no-one else is.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 18:57 
User

graball wrote:
Quote:

Go, on, what's the answer? I'm intrigued if no-one else is.

I don't know, it was an illustrative question with a side question of how many drivers aren't driving..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 19:09 

Well that's pretty pointless if you don't know the answer but I'm guessing the true percentage is far lower than what you imagine it to be. I would say far less than 50%

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 19:17 
User

Interestingly, the distance travelled by each car on the road has fallen (5800-5300 miles/YR)(Average) since 2002.
Now, fuel is at 137.9/Ltr (local), then it was at 69.9/Ltr.
Young people are shunning driving....etc.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20120214195326/http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/statistics/datatablespublications/trends/current/section1rvc.pdf

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/statistics/datatablespublications/trends/current/section1rvc.pdf

This is interesting to contemplate:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/news/vote2001/hi/english/main_issues/sections/facts/newsid_1203000/1203475.stm

The old ones are the best !

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 19:46 

Exactly, Jom, people aren't going to suddenly start driving just because there are more roads available. With the cost of fuel at the moment people are driving as little as possible.

A prime example of the fallback of Weepy's logic can be demonstrated locally to me. Pre M54 the A5 was a busy road at any time of day and at bank holidays it was attrocious. Now the M54 has been open and the A5 bypass between Wellington and Shrewsbury, there is virtually no traffic on the old A5 and don't forget, Weepy, there are more cars on the road now than 20 years ago, so where are all the magic cars that are supposed to saturate the old A5 as well as the new roads?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 19:50 
Gold Member
Gold Member

weepej wrote:
Scientific name for it is induced demand apparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_demand
A lot! But I don't see the relevance. If It's to suggest more trains, or the frequency of them, are increased then the same generally applies to private transport also.

If we're going to start answering a question with a question, can you be more specific about my previous analogy?

8:00 a.m. is manic whether you're walking, biking, driving or on a train. There wil be small variations in chosen mode for a multitude of reasons, (price, time, weather etc.), but that doesn't dismiss, and you haven't answered, my analogy.

Add. Soz Grabs, my post sent just at the mo yours did..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 20:08 
User

jomukuk wrote:
Interestingly, the distance travelled by each car on the road has fallen (5800-5300 miles/YR)(Average) since 2002.
Now, fuel is at 137.9/Ltr (local), then it was at 69.9/Ltr.

Naturally fuel prices have their part to play too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 20:10 
User

Big Tone wrote:
and you haven't answered, my analogy.

Which question?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 20:50 
Gold Member
Gold Member

weepej wrote:
Big Tone wrote:
and yotu haven't answered, my analogy.

Which question?
The kids in a class, store room opens = more space for existing kids analogy.

Forget it, I've lost interest... :doh:

So I wonder which would win in a fight between a crocodile and a polar bear........?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 21:21 
Supporter
Supporter

malcolmw wrote:

Are you comparing actual or potential capacity?

Given a dedicated railway link between Manchester and London you could run 250 trains a day (that a six minute seperation) each with a capacity of 500 people: 120 thousand people per day.

On a motorway with a six second seperation you could get 24 * 60 * 60 /6 cars per day per lane. Given that one lane is given over to commercial traffic and that the average car can manage five people at a push we have 87 thousand people per day.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 22:27 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

dcbwhaley wrote:
Are you comparing actual or potential capacity?

Given a dedicated railway link between Manchester and London you could run 250 trains a day (that a six minute seperation) each with a capacity of 500 people: 120 thousand people per day.

Unless there are 25 hours in a day, you could only run 240 trains a day :wink:

dcbwhaley wrote:
On a motorway with a six second seperation you could get 24 * 60 * 60 /6 cars per day per lane. Given that one lane is given over to commercial traffic and that the average car can manage five people at a push we have 87 thousand people per day.

But if we're talking theoretical capacity, on the road you could run double-decker buses carrying 75 people each at 6-second headways, thus giving 1,080,000 people even on a two-lane road.

A typical passenger railway line maybe has four trains an hour carrying 200 people each (and that's being generous). Assuming the average 1.6 people car occupancy, that's 8.3 cars a minute - not exactly a hugely busy road.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed