Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 04:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 02:30 
Site Admin

The debt the public owes to road safety cameras
Herald View published Tuesday 31 July 2012

SPEED kills and speed cameras save lives.

Those are the inescapable conclusions to be drawn from the latest figures released by Scotland's Chief Statistician yesterday. In plain English that means that there are people alive today who would have been dead if what are known correctly as "safety cameras" had never been introduced. And there are men, women and children who are fit and well who would have been injured or permanently disabled without these cameras, which continue to attract criticism from a vocal minority.

Yesterday's figures show that the number killed and seriously injured in the past three years on stretches of Scotland's roads where safety cameras have been installed is less than a third of the total for the three-year period in those areas before the cameras were put in place: 108, compared with 337 casualties in accident black spots.

Critics of the cameras dismiss such statistics by arguing that they merely displace accidents to other stretches of road. They say they cause motorists to drive erratically and brake suddenly when cameras come into view.

Gender stereotypes about boy racers appear to apply here because, while 82% of respondents to the Scottish Crime and Justice Survey (SCJS) last year agreed that people should see the use of the cameras as a good thing, they are far more popular with women than men. In fact, one-quarter of males disagree with their use, including 14% who disagree strongly. Yet accident statistics show that safety cameras do not merely move car crashes from one place to another. In fact, despite a multiplication in the number of vehicles on the roads, last year's figures show the lowest number of casualties on Scottish roads since records began.

Some myths die hard. Despite high levels of public support for safety cameras, many people (59% in the SCJS) continue to view them a device for raising revenue. This is a hangover from the period before 2007 when camera partnerships, operated by police forces and local authorities, were permitted to keep a proportion of what they raised in fines. These days all fines go to the Treasury, which has a budget for all aspects of road safety. Last year Scotland actually spent more on road safety (£4.6m) than was raised through fixed penalties (£3.7m). As every fatal accident is said to cost the public purse £1.8m, let alone the grief of those left behind, safety cameras deserve public support.

The figures also suggest that in general motorists are learning to watch their speed in camera zones. The exception to this encouraging trend concerns the small numbers of fixed cameras in 40, 50 and 60mph zones. As these are mainly on rural roads, which continue to claim a disproportionate number of serious accidents, that is where attention now must focus. This is a complex issue, in which the need to adjust one's speed for the terrain and weather conditions may be more important than merely staying within a speed limit.
I need to research into this but on the face of it much of what is written is mistaken or misunderstood as the claims are impossible to qualify ! (Just to start with !).

Links to check :
“Road accident figures in Scotland slashed by speed cameras”
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/tran ... 1343734596

“The publication reveals that the average number of people killed or seriously injured per year at all safety camera sites has decreased by 68 per cent”
http://www.rospa.com/news/releases/deta ... px?id=1124

“SAFETY cameras are continuing to reduce the number of deaths on Scotland’s roads. ….. Collisions involving personal injury have decreased as an average from 1,054 to 547 at these sites - a reduction of 48%. The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) welcomed the reduction. ”
http://www.ellontimes.co.uk/news/local- ... -1-2446594

“Scotland’s Chief Statistician today announced the release of Key Scottish Safety Camera Programme Statistics 2009. This report shows that the average number of people killed or seriously injured at safety camera sites between 2007 and 2009 is 56 per cent lower….”
http://www.nescamp.co.uk/safety-cameras ... -and-money

“The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) in Scotland has welcomed a reduction in the number of people killed or seriously injured at safety camera sites following camera enforcement”
http://www.dallasmcmillan.co.uk/News/En ... gures.html

“Speed cameras cut deaths”
http://technology.ukplurk.com/2012/08/s ... eaths.html

“Speed cameras helping to reduce road crash 'misery': THE number of people killed or seriously injured at road safety camera sites has fallen by 63 per cent.
The figures are highlighted in the Key Scottish Safety Camera Programme Statistics 2010 report issued by Scotland’s chief statistician today (Wednesday). ”
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/New ... 072011.htm

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:32 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Herald Scotland wrote:
This is a complex issue, in which the need to adjust one's speed for the terrain and weather conditions may be more important than merely staying within a speed limit.
:nono: So close, and yet so far... :loco:

Vocal Minority wrote:
“This is a complex issue, in which the need to adjust one's speed for the terrain and weather conditions may be more important than merely a speed limit”.
:yesyes: :clap:

The trouble with these good-intentioned people, (or are they just morons?), is they think the “vocal minority” just want to go faster and faster and sod everyone else!

That’s not what I have ever said nor, I believe, has anyone else here. Someone should educate these idiots in: -

1) Listen to what we are actually saying instead of just making things up and
2) Don’t use bent statistics to justify a position which doesn’t exist!

Remember what I once said about the commonality of statistics and a bikini: What it reveals is interesting but what it conceals is vital.

That's precisely why Government love stats.

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 13:49 
Gold Member
Gold Member

:soapbox:

What would I say to Mr Herald Scottish if he/she could be confronted?

So staying within 70 will keep us safe will it? Meanwhile, staying within 81mph will keep us safe in France and 100+mph is safe in Germany etc. etc...

I do wish these fools would stop pontificating and trying to argue it’s all about road safety when it’s simply a legal requirement; and one which varies from country to country. That fact alone should tell you something about what is regarded as a safe speed and how it depends on who you ask!!!

When figures for speed limits are plucked out of thin air and subject to changes on a whim without proper research or due consideration for the side effects and ramifications, it will inevitably lead to a lack of trust and diminished respect.

Think of any laws or policies you care which have been repealed or changed because they got it wrong and/or were unfair? The poll tax springs to mind straight away and my personal disgust of the ill fated CSA, in its original guise, whereby fathers started to commit suicide because it was so iniquitous!

What is blatantly obvious throughout history is that laws and policies are made whereby they get it wrong – lots of them! This is also an immutable fact. So in the words of Cromwell, (I think it was), “I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken.” Just consider it, the fairness and true motives, maybe for a day or one quiet evening.

Now if you’ll excuse me I’m going to get my slave to wash the car before going to London and see if I can enter the Houses of Parliament in a suit of armour... :roll:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 16:45 

Why is it that during bad weather like this, we see more people crashing into ditches, houses,trees, walls and overturning cars?
I'm sure the speed limit hasn't changed and they are probably still keeping to it. What could it possibly be? We all know speed kills and if everyone sticks to the limits, nothing could possibly go wrong...I'm confused...anyone out there in "Speed kills" land know the answer?

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.