Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 05:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:41 
Gold Member
Gold Member

You have missed one important word from my post. I advocated "extensive" free parking provision. By this I mean a lot! There is a point beyond which it would not get full and my system would work. It's like the argument that you can't build yourself out of road congestion. You CAN because there are a finite number of drivers, cars and hours in the day.

This would obviate the problem which you describe of uncontrolled street parking (which BTW, I am not advocating). People that work in offices should have the opportunity to drive to work if they wish and you are correct that politically correct planning restrictions have actually made matters much worse by not recognising this.

The Government and Councils should get it through their heads that they are our servants and not partake in social engineering to look pious. The latest daft idea is to spend £900M on cycling in London. Why, to make it look like Shanghai 20 years ago.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 16:18 
User

Two shopping areas close to me have recently had paid parking restrictions put in place on formerly free parking. IIRC it is £2 an hour. However the first 30 minutes is free with a ticket.

This is a good way, IMO, to recycle bays and maintain the foot fall that these local business require. If I had to pay to visit either of these areas I would probably just go to the local business park, where parking is free, thus probably leading to the death of these shopping areas.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 08:48 
User

And just in case we thought it couldn't get any worse...

ADMIN added - this is already being discussed here : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26447

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22993060
So as these cameras weren't legal the council have cancelled all outstanding tickets. But tough luck on anyone who paid up - they won't get their money back. Which surely to goodness can't possibly be legal. And if it is then the law needs changing. Hopefully someone with a few bob and a bit of time on their hands got fined and will drag the council into court over this. That said there have been similar cases where councils have only refunded on a case by case basis - counting on most of the folk they mugged not bothering. Perhaps better to try getting the head of the department charged with taking money with menaces - which is what an illegal parking ticket could be seen as. I know that seems a bit far fetched but until specific people are made to take responsibility for their action this will happen time and again.

I had a row with the council regarding recycling bins - basically I didn't need then - the council only agree to take them back if I signed a statement that I would still recycle. I refused and they threatened me with legal action. I saw my local councillor and it turned out the dept had already been told they couldn't take legal action before they threatened me. I was furious and when the councillor asked what I expected the council to do I was quite clear - fire the person responsible. He was rather taken aback but as far as I'm concerned if your job involves using the law and you misuse it then game over.

Shame on Newham Council, shame on them.

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 22:34 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
theboxers wrote:
Two shopping areas close to me have recently had paid parking restrictions put in place on formerly free parking. IIRC it is £2 an hour. However the first 30 minutes is free with a ticket.

This is a good way, IMO, to recycle bays and maintain the foot fall that these local business require. If I had to pay to visit either of these areas I would probably just go to the local business park, where parking is free, thus probably leading to the death of these shopping areas.

In my town, we're seeing complaints on cars entering the pedestrian area after 1600hrs. One of the reasons given is that drivers are ignoring the one way system . I've had to go in there as I cannot walk to the shops and the signs are barely visible. Add to that , there's a lack of enforcement as we don't have/can't afford a PC with powers to enforce the system . We've had the "we'll enforce parking at a stroke" ( as in Delboy ) speech from our council, but daily there's one road junction where the two lanes are down to one ,within 10yds of a light controlled junction, with vans parked on double yelows . Before Decrim, I only saw one instance of Beryll the peril doing anything on this. She seemed to lurk across the road, chasing non bluebadged folks into the local council car park . And our good town hall blokes wonder WHY shops are moving out of town , to business parks with free parking, leaving the town centres to become the haunt of charity shops/ cash convertors and nail bars .

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 07:54 
Gold Member
Gold Member

theboxers wrote:

I don't think that 30 minutes free parking is enough to promote the sort of increase in customers the shops want. I can understand just popping to the convenience store to get a paper and milk but most shopping requires longer than this especially if you are making a significant purchase (which is just what the shops want and need).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 21:54 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Locally I've got a town centre that has problems for all ,and massive problems for the disabled. massive charges, but a few milles away, there's a shoping mall with no parking charges. otherwise ,there's a town with low fuel prices and a lot of shops. i notice that locally we're getting al ot of charity shops and nail bars. And our city fathers tink they're on the ball ? Last may, we had a lot of county blokes loose their seats ,and one ward go from Labour to Green. Problem was housing planning permission /steet lights ( being switched off overnight). No one listened, but the voters voted .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 14:01 
User

You want council illegality ?
http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=84064

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing