It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 02:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A500 death toll
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 13:00 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/Al ... story.html

Quote:
More than 500 accidents involving some 1,000 vehicles and 700 casualties – including 15 fatal smashes – have taken place on the busy D-Road in six years.

Now the figures, released under the Freedom of Information Act by the Department of Transport, have prompted calls for action, with Stoke-on-Trent South MP Rob Flello planning to write to the Transport Secretary to express his alarm at the number of fatalities.

There were a total of 506 accidents between 2005 and 2011, injuring 727 people and involving 1,060 cars, vans, lorries and motorbikes. More than half of the accidents – 298 – involve two vehicles, while 107 were single vehicle crashes and 71 involved three vehicles.

The largest smash, which took place on the northbound carriageway between Talke and Alsager, in February 2010, was a 13-vehicle pile-up which followed sudden snowfall and left the road closed for several hours.

Fifteen fatal crashes throughout that time have claimed the lives of several victims including:

Kevin Dunne, aged 42, of Lightwood, whose Jaguar X-Type hit a barrier and a parked lorry on February 16, 2007.

Driver Ian Lewkowicz, of Hanford, and his 16-year-old passenger Hayley Bates, of Biddulph, who were both killed when Mr Lewkowicz's sports car slid into a lorry parked in a lay-by on September 22, 2010.

Joshua Kirkham, aged 20, of Blackbrook, who crashed into a parked lorry in the same lay-by on August 16, 2011.

Church minister Dominic Culshaw, aged 46, of Powderham Close, Packmoor, who died after his BMW 520 was involved in a collision with two other cars and two vans, on May 3, 2011.

MP Mr Flello will now raise the matter with Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin, quoting the figures obtained by The Sentinel.

He said: "I will ask for an urgent review of the A500, to find out what is causing so many accidents.

"There are three main problems. The first is where the A500 meets the M6. That junction is dreadful and something needs to be done.

"Then there are far too many accidents on the D-Road where it travels through Stoke-on-Trent and we need to find out what is causing them. I have also seen some statistics which show that on average there is one accident a week requiring emergency services on the slip road on and off the A50."

Newcastle GP Latif Hussain has attended a number of accidents along the road, in his role with the BASICS group, which attends emergencies.

Dr Hussain said: "The figures don't surprise me. We've been out to quite a few accidents on the road.

"It is a busy road and the speed limit is a problem on certain parts of it. Then it's a question of whether people observe that speed limit.

"The section where it joins the motorway at junction 15 was set at national speed limit and is unlit and that has caused problems.

"Coming down to junction 16 we have had quite a lot of incidents around there and there has been quite a lot of serious accidents, even resulting in fatalities.

"The problems are the speed, the nature of the road and the fact that there isn't any lighting along part of it."

A reduced speed limit of 50mph is set on the D-Road between Etruria and Hanford, while the rest remains at national speed limit.

Carolyn Wheat promotes road safety through her charity, the Andy Taft Charitable Trust, founded after losing her partner to a road accident in 2005.

Carolyn, aged 51, of Meir Heath, said: "I know people hate them, but I think speed cameras are the answer.

"They are there for a reason and I think one of the big problems with the A500 is speeding. The police should be taking more proactive measures like stopping people and giving out more stringent fines.

"The only way to stop people speeding is by hitting them in the pocket."

Police have recently focussed on motorists speeding on the 50mph stretch of the road between Etruria and Hanford. Some 1,347 drivers were fined in just three months of using mobile speed cameras in a crack-down launched last September.

Chief Inspector Steve Smytheman, head of roads policing for Staffordshire Police, said: "The safety of our roads is a key priority for public service partners across Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent.

"Every person killed or seriously injured is a tragedy.

"We are determined to continue working towards reducing the number of casualties."

Stoke-on-Trent City Councillor Ruth Rosenau, cabinet member for regeneration, planning and transportation, pictured below, said: "Road safety is a top priority for the city council and we are fully committed to continuing to reduce the number of accidents.

"The council is part of a county-wide safer roads partnership which launched a major crackdown on motorists flouting the 50mph speed limit along the busy commuter route, which started in September.

"No fatal or serious accidents have been reported during this time.

"However, I am aware that far too many accidents have happened on the A500 in the past and I am determined to take the necessary action to ensure that the downward trend continues.

"I would also urge drivers to watch their speed – one accident is one too many."

A spokesman for the Highways Agency said: "Since 2005 we have undertaken various improvements on the A500 including closure of laybys, resurfacing sections of the carriageway, improvements to road markings and renewal of road studs.

"We are committed to improving road safety and continue to work with Staffordshire Police, the Staffordshire Road Safety Partnership and Stoke-on-Trent City Council on potential safety improvements that can be made along the A500 in the future."

Usual simplistic stick a speed camera on it. The roadworks had specs. Not even sure they were legal but apparently there were no fatals when the road works were in operation. They claim their speed enforcement in 50 mph section is why there have been no fatals on it since September. I have no idea how they work that out as I don't think they are there more than a few hours a week at most.

They've got a lorry laybay right next to the road, that's unlit in a 70mph section off a roundabout. Drivers cut each other up on the exit of the roundabout (happened to me a couple of times) 2 deaths were people driving into lorries. One of whom was showing off to girlfriend. 70mph roads should never be unlit in such a location. Location of layby is utterly dangerous. Layby needs to be separated and made a junction from that roundabout so that those that need to park up can do so, safely. Then they're joining the slower traffic of the roundabout not fighting to get into a busy 70 mph section with no lighting and no real rear view.

It's a massively busy road. Following distances are far too close.

The bumpy section has caused several accidents and there is drainage that doesn't work there so the road is frequently swilling with water even when it hasn't been raining much. There is an 'ice' sign on it at the moment and there hasn't been a frost for days.

The road surface is diabolical in places. The non slip special surfacing in the newer sections toward Nantwich has disappeared. There are massive potholes on the approach to many roundabouts which can easily unsettle a crap car or crap driver. Someone one a bike will end up in the weeds if they hit one. I remember going by a merc that was backwards into the armco not long after the road was opened. There are now 'slippery' signs warning drivers about that corner. It has been like that since it was new! For some reason that bend is extra slippery. I can only think they used SMA or some other surfacing that was no good or the camber is wrong. It looks like the shell grip stuff so should be super grippy but doesn't seem to be. It's worn away now.

They haven't included times of day.

Seems like a good opportunity to apply proper road engineering and education not just the 'slap a camera on it' approach.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: A500 death toll
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 14:50 

Quote:
Seems like a good opportunity to apply proper road engineering and education not just the 'slap a camera on it' approach.

Answers on a postage stamp as to what will actually get done!

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 15:23 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
graball wrote:
Quote:

Answers on a postage stamp as to what will actually get done!

Drove this road regularly lots of years ago . Sounds as if the same problems still exist . Problems that a lack of educational enforcement would have solved . But then ,the UK road safety policy has dissolved into "cheapest method first" not the most effective. And what's the cheapest . My assessment is the same as Graball's
Quote:
Answers on a postage stamp as to what will actually get done

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 16:20 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Given that it is a very busy road, are the casualties actually disproportionate compared with similar roads elsewhere?

Although the likely "remedy" is all too obvious - make the whole thing 50 and slap in lots more cameras :x

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 16:30 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

They haven't offered a casualty rate, just flat numbers. No comparison with other equivalent road systems. That data is obviously worth finding.

No mention of how many of those involved in accidents were drunk, drugged, uninsured, unlicensed or in the course of other criminal behaviour.