The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 22:45 
Life Member
Life Member

botach wrote:
Toltec wrote:
Bikes are much safer now, ride at 20mph and hitting a lamp post will not hurt at all :(

So are cars. But if you can anticipate trouble, then the pain of losing a NCB is more than the accident.

Sorry not sure what you mean.

My comment was sarcasm btw. Hitting a something at 20mph will hurt and a twenty limit will not change that.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 22:59 
User

Maaarrghk! wrote:
I find it rather worrying the amount of people of all generations now who will not look either way after they have stepped off the kerb whilst sauntering across a road at 45 degrees to its path.

Funnily enough, that exact same thing happened to me tonight on the way home (as i was avoiding the NEC because of the traffic). Driving (headlights on at around 18:15) along on a "cushion humped" road at around 20mph (the limit was 30mph) at the back of Castle Bromwich, a "ped" wandered/jogged out immediately in front of me in a dark track suit and crossed the road on a diagonal without looking.

I pipped my horn, but the ped didn't even notice (maybe he was walkman/iPodded?).

Either they should force stupid "Peds" to wear number plates and take out insurance, or simply make running over stupid people a "non offence" ;)

mb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 21:09 

Maaarrghk! wrote:
So as we approach every pedestrian that looks like they might attempt to cross the road, what do we do?

Do we really keep slowing and slowing until a virtual standstill until we are almost level with all these pedestrians?

No, if there is a drunk staggering down the road then I will ease off and be ready for something to happen, thus cutting the reaction time.

Quote:
This could lead to a lot of tailbacks.

If the drunk is staggering along the motorway then yes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 22:46 
User

Trouble is that the drunk does not have to be staggering to do something staggeringly stupid as I found out aged 19 when one ran out from the front of a parked Transit straight into my car.

It would not necessarily have to be on a motorway to cause a tailback - any busy road would do.

Anyone had any luck with my original question yet? I'd really like to find some proof of those 14 accidents being the basis of this particular mantra.