Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 04:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 14:22 
Site Admin

Drivers face new surprise 'repair' motorway fees
By Hannah Barnes BBC News
Motorway traffic - generic Highways Agency contractors are increasingly targeting drivers with expensive bills for repairs

Drivers are being hit with expensive bills from Highways Agency contractors for emergency repairs. Motorists claim the prices are over-inflated and in some cases they question whether the repairs ever took place.

Sheila Kaur-Patel, who works as a BBC production manager, was shocked when she received an invoice for £3,000 for damage she had allegedly caused during a motorway incident.

Nearly three months earlier she had skidded across the M6 after unexpectedly hitting some liquid on the surface and ended up facing the wrong way on the hard shoulder.

She said: "When the bill arrived, I was devastated. The damages or so-called 'maintenance fees' are worth more than my car."
"The police officer said I was very lucky," she says, "the only damage was a scrape to my bumper."
Continue reading the main story
Start Quote "I would have turned my car around myself if I knew I was going to get charged almost £3,000.”
Sheila Kaur-Patel

The police closed the motorway for a matter of minutes so that Sheila could safely turn the car round and continue her journey to see her family.

The charges came from Amey LG Limited, one of several large construction companies which maintain the motorways on behalf of the Highways Agency.

A breakdown of the bill lists items such as a 7.5 tonne tipper hire, repairs to rails and £1,830.91 for the closure of the hard shoulder.

But Sheila insists she has no idea where the idea that any damage was caused has come from. She never saw the tipper or anyone from the company.

Growing trend
Amey LG Limited told Sheila that the bill she received was for inspection work carried out after she left the scene.

A spokesperson for the company told the BBC: "It is important that defects are repaired after an incident to ensure the safety of the travelling public."
"If repairs are necessary, we liaise with any party found to have caused damage to recover the associated costs. A breakdown of these are provided to the relevant parties in an invoice."

The BBC has learned that this is part of a growing trend. Highways Agency contractors are increasingly targeting drivers with expensive bills for repairs.
Sheila Kaur-Patel Sheila Kaur-Patel received a bill for £3,000 damage she says she did not cause

5 live Investigates has been told of several cases involving drivers who have broken down only to be charged several weeks later for the clear-up of oil spillages.

But when the companies concerned have been challenged about either the level of the charge - in excess of £300 in most cases - or asked to provide evidence of the spill and a breakdown of the charges levied - the amount is reduced or not pursued any further.

This has raised suspicions that some of the bills are not legitimate. In one case, the driver maintains that the oil was cleared by the fire brigade at the time of the breakdown, while another claims that no oil leaked from his car at all.

It is a trend that is surprising those who work on the roads on a daily basis.

Listen to the full report on 5 live Investigates on BBC 5 live on Sunday, 7 October at 21:00 GMT or download the programme podcast.
Listen via the BBC 5 live website
Download the 5 live Investigates podcast

"In the past, the charges were never levied," says Paul Watters from the AA. "Now the bills are appearing. We need to know what the policy for charging actually is."

Legitimate costs
People like Sheila question why individual drivers should have to pay anything. "It makes me wonder what our taxes and road tax actually go on?" she says.
"I would have turned my car around myself if I knew I was going to get charged almost £3,000."

The Highways Agency says when repairs are needed after a breakdown or collision it is not right that the costs should be borne by the taxpayer and therefore they or their contractors will seek to recover the cost of repairs from insurance companies or individuals where appropriate.

The cases above highlight a lack of transparency about what is being charged for, the level of the charge and when someone is liable to pay.

Insurance companies have been a target for motorway maintenance contractors for some time and insurers have frequently questioned some of the discrepancies that appear in the charges.

The rates themselves can vary widely between different companies too.
Continue reading the main story
Start Quote "The job would take just five minutes, and the materials used cost as little at £12.50”

Former employee of major road maintenance company
And the prices seem pretty steep. A recent employee of one of the major road maintenance companies told the BBC that he was stunned that drivers were being sent bills of more than £300 to clear up a small oil spillage.

The job would take just five minutes and the materials used cost as little at £12.50, he said.
It is difficult to say why private Highways Agency maintenance contractors have begun targeting individual drivers.
"It is a new development," says Philip Swift of Claims Management and Adjusting Ltd, which fights claims on behalf of insurance companies.
"We see it from the insurers' perspective. What you are telling me is concerning."

But he and others fear that the situation is about to get a lot worse as maintenance companies implement cuts of around 25% requested by the Highways Agency.

And even more so as the Agency introduces a string of new contracts over the next three years, which are considered to be less lucrative.

Some anticipate that companies may try to recoup some of the lost revenue from the new contracts by cracking down on drivers more aggressively and over-inflating legitimate charges.
"We've geared up for an increase in claims," admits Philip Swift, "and trained additional staff in the claims process."

The Highways Term Maintenance Association (HTMA), which represents a number of the private Highways Agency contractors told the BBC that the accusations being levelled at the industry were 'misleading.'
"HTMA members are dedicated to help and support the everyday motorist, by making sure our roads are safe and disruption is kept to a minimum," a spokesperson said.
"Sometimes we have to clean up after incidents, repairing damage caused by motorists, and sometimes the motorist is asked to pay for the damage they have caused."
"We believe this is absolutely fair… We do not believe that our members would ever abuse their status."

You can listen to the full report on 5 live Investigates on Sunday, 7 October at 21:00 GMT on BBC 5 live.
Listen again via the 5 live website or by downloading the 5 live Investigates podcast.
Send your comments and stories to 5 live Investigates
Certainly I would have expected the insurance to cover this - that os what part of it is for, after all !

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 15:40 

Another fine example of rip off Britain.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 15:51 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
I would have expected the insurance to cover this - that os what part of it is for, after all !

Is it, you checked your policy?

The Aviva policy specifically (if I'm reading it right) excludes damage to buildings and property.

Quote:
Exclusions: Loss or destruction of, or damage to, any property or associated loss or expense

http://www.aviva.co.uk/car/policy-information.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 08:24 

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Certainly I would have expected the insurance to cover this - that os what part of it is for, after all !

It does, that's why they know they can charge silly money.

The whole "motorists getting billed" bit is somewhat misleading, yes the motorist gets the bill, they then send it on to their insurance. Just as happens with any 3rd party claim.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:08 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Homer wrote:
SafeSpeedv2 wrote:

It does, that's why they know they can charge silly money.

The whole "motorists getting billed" bit is somewhat misleading, yes the motorist gets the bill, they then send it on to their insurance. Just as happens with any 3rd party claim.

Possibly why premiums arew on the up.Not as daft Fave says due to the blame culture.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 17:14 

It's taking the pee really to the limit. First, these road contractors charge extortionate amounts to gullible highways authorities, because they know that the LAs have no-one working there with any perspective of the real world and realistic costings. Then after bleeding the gullible LAs dry for shoddy work, they then try and fleece the general public for imaginary repairs, like "cleaning up spilled oil"

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 20:36 
Gold Member
Gold Member

graball wrote:
It's taking the pee really to the limit. First, these road contractors charge extortionate amounts to gullible highways authorities, because they know that the LAs have no-one working there with any perspective of the real world and realistic costings. Then after bleeding the gullible LAs dry for shoddy work, they then try and fleece the general public for imaginary repairs, like "cleaning up spilled oil"

You forget the other scheme. If they upgrade and get it done before time, they get a bonus. Too often I've seen notices saying job has been done inside time period. Strangely enough a few weeks later a section is restricted for "snagging work" .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 22:44 

Quote:
Too often I've seen notices saying job has been done inside time period

Yes, instead the stated time period but at what extra "unforseen" costs?

I really do hope that the accountants at LA's, get their mums to buy their weekly shopping for them...."£20 for a carton of milk...yes that seems reasonable....oh and another fiver after I leave the til...of course".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 00:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

graball wrote:
Quote:
Too often I've seen notices saying job has been done inside time period

Yes, instead the stated time period but at what extra "unforseen" costs?

I really do hope that the accountants at LA's, get their mums to buy their weekly shopping for them...."£20 for a carton of milk...yes that seems reasonable....oh and another fiver after I leave the til...of course".

You've noticed,I note :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 21:29 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

weepej wrote:

The Aviva policy specifically (if I'm reading it right) excludes damage to buildings and property.

Quote:
Exclusions: Loss or destruction of, or damage to, any property or associated loss or expense

No, that clause specifically refers to damage from radiation.

By definition, third-party liabilities are in general covered.

I get the impression in this case the contractor has been trying it on with the individual driver rather than going through the correct channels.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 22:18 
User

PeterE wrote:
weepej wrote:

Quote:

No, that clause specifically refers to damage from radiation.

By definition, third-party liabilities are in general covered.

I get the impression in this case the contractor has been trying it on with the individual driver rather than going through the correct channels.

Cor, lucky I just got the 2 litre petrol version and not the fuel rod powered Audi then!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 15:12 
User

Like the bill for emergency medical treatment for road acidents: pass it to your insurance.
Seriously though......amey is the contractor and the council has little effect on them....since their own in-house labour is no more.
Mainly they drive around a lot and do little.
It gets worse; I regularly walk for exercise (the doctor says I have to....cow..)...upon exiting the woodland recreation area into the carpark I passed a car with two people seriously involved with each other......but not with clothing....on the side of the estate van was .............AMEY.
Obviously seeing what driving conditions were like.....the driving conditions are getting no better, one recently resurfaced road has such a depression in it that cars literally try to fly, on ONE side, into the air...maybe if they spent more time driving and less bonking they would get it fixed...

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing