Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 18:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: open and shut case??
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 22:52 
User

graball wrote:
I do wonder if the case would have been the same if it was the other way round, i.e. he was turning right and the woman with her family had run into the back of him or he was approaching her on the other side of the road and she pulled across him. Would he still be accused of poor driving by failing to look in his mirror or driving too fast if he had been approaching her? It does often seem to be the case that the young male driver is assumed to be in the wrong, when the other driver is "middle aged" and has a family on board, even though the driving standards and observational skills of some middle aged women, in my experience, is far from safe.

I've wondered this as well - what would happen had the boot been on the other foot. Something else that came out in the trial was the the 807's driver's mother wanted her daughter to stop so she could take some photos of the lake, hence she must have communicated this verbally in order for her daughter to attempt to pull over to the verge on the right hand side of the road. Except Gordon Dyche was in the middle of trying to overtake her at the time, and the rest is now well-known.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 23:06 
User

Oh yes, while I remember to do it, I don't think the weather conditions have so far been mentioned. From TV footage and photos I've seen of the rescue operation immediately after the crash, it was a dry, sunny afternoon and the road was dry. All in all, pretty much perfect driving conditions.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 03:48 

graball wrote:
It's interesting to note at this point https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=llanid ... 5,,0,-0.41 a sign for a parking area 400 yards away, which as it turns out isn't the small strip of land to the right of the carriageway but in fact a car park a little further on the left....did she see the sign and mistake the strip of land on the right for a parking area

Any competent driver would have noticed the absence of P signs at the "layby" and immediately realised their mistake.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 07:47 

If you advance on Google streetview from the point where the P sign is to the strip off land she was trying to park on, there actually isn't that much of a view of it until you are nearly on it, as you approach it from a slight bend. I would guess that from the time of her noticing it to the point of her being able to pull onto it, if she was travelling at 35-40MPH, she would have had to make a quick decision and start to pull over almost immediately, which begs the question if she had time to signal and look in her mirror or if it was a bit of a knee jerk reaction that we all know can go terribly wrong if your luck's against you.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 07:51 
Gold Member
Gold Member

My experience of something like this:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=9669

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 08:30 
User

graball wrote:
If you advance on Google streetview from the point where the P sign is to the strip off land she was trying to park on, there actually isn't that much of a view of it until you are nearly on it, as you approach it from a slight bend. I would guess that from the time of her noticing it to the point of her being able to pull onto it, if she was travelling at 35-40MPH, she would have had to make a quick decision and start to pull over almost immediately, which begs the question if she had time to signal and look in her mirror or if it was a bit of a knee jerk reaction that we all know can go terribly wrong if your luck's against you.

Precisely. Any competent barrister would have gone out and measured the time it took from first observing the strip of land to the moment indicators went on to the moment a driver would have had to move over to park on it. Because of the short sighting time involved, it could only have a matter of a few seconds from the moment of sighting to finally parking. Thus it was a very much spur-of-the-moment decision. Then again, a competent barrister would have made sure the case never reached court in the first place.

The barrister's name is Geraint Jones. Unfortunately, there's more than one barrister with that name, and I don't know which law firm he practices from. If any of you find you need a defence barrister and one with that name pops up, ask him if he represented Gordon Dyche in this case. If he confirms it, run a mile!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 08:58 
User

Also note that the 807's driver stated in evidence that her car spun anti-clockwise. Now, the only way this could have happened was if it was hit on or near the nearside rear.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 13:15 
User

malcolmw wrote:
If I signal and pull out suddenly in front of someone overtaking me on a dual carriageway any accident would be my fault. Is there really any difference here?

If you look through the windscreen of your car, surely you would notice the forward view is a huge improvement on the tiny back to front view in the drivers mirror, and so would take into account that the driver might not have seen you?

Also, if I am overtaking someone, and they suddenly signal and pull out, it would be wrong to simply ram them and say "You shouldn't have done that". If you do collide with ANYTHING in front of you, then you have not been driving with due care and attention.

He was found guilty of causing a death due to careless driving, and not guilty of death by dangerous driving.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 14:18 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ernest,

Taking the logic of your post, the driver of the people carrier has a restricted rearwards view. It thus behoves them to take extra time to look carefully before pulling to the right. The driver probably did not do this as the Mondeo would have been clearly visible as he began his 2 car overtake. Thus the MPV driver is equally culpable - but not charged with any offence.

Your point about "simply ramming them" just because you are in the right is a little silly as everyone would brake and take avoiding action which might not be enough to avoid a collision.

The Gog,

Following from above, IMO the avoiding action taken was to swerve to the left (right is the lake) which explains the damage location on the cars.

Interestingly, on a straw poll in my office, most people thought that the MPV driver was at fault as well as the Mondeo man.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 16:59 

It's possible that the mondeo man was going to overtake the car behind the woman and pull in behind her, only to find her braking and pulling over to the right which might account for the fact that he clipped her nearside or as Malcom suggests it might have been due to a swerve to the left in an attempt to avoid ramming her square on. Either way, whether she signalled, looked in her mirror or not, this doesn't give you any rights to change lane or pull in front of another car without consequences.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 17:02 

Quote:
If you do collide with ANYTHING in front of you, then you have not been driving with due care and attention.

That's not strictly true, I can think of many instances where a car can put itself in a position in front of you with no chance of avoiding it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 17:24 
User

graball wrote:
Quote:
If you do collide with ANYTHING in front of you, then you have not been driving with due care and attention.

That's not strictly true, I can think of many instances where a car can put itself in a position in front of you with no chance of avoiding it.

+1

Pulling out to a different lane/turning right or left when doing so will cause a collision (because they haven't checked for traffic) is DWDC&A. A different scenario but equally as valid. Just imagine that a cyclist was following this 807 in a town, on the nearside rear (possibly just after the 807 having overtaken him), and the 807's driver decided to pull in to a parking space on the left and did so without checking her mirrors and possibly only indicating at the last possible moment. The cyclist would go straight into the side of her car as he has nowhere else to go. Are you seriously suggesting that the cyclist would be at fault? It's a common way of turning cyclists into strawberry jam, and drivers rightly get the book thrown at them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 18:11 

it would seem that the high and mighty of Shropshire would like to see this guy, hung , drawn and quartered. Is it just me or does 4 years seem a bit excessive for this case, unless they are taking into account his previous driving without insurance case.

http://www.shropshirestar.com/lifestyle ... reservoir/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 18:49 
User

graball wrote:
it would seem that the high and mighty of Shropshire would like to see this guy, hung , drawn and quartered. Is it just me or does 4 years seem a bit excessive for this case, unless they are taking into account his previous driving without insurance case.

That's to be expected of the regional press - sensationalism rules, regardless of the facts. The Shropshire Star is particularly "thick". Read their editorials and letters pages and weep - proof, if any were needed, of regressive evolution. Mind, Montgomeryshire's County Liar, sorry, County Times, is just as bad. Quite recently their front page splash was that a man was convicted of having "child p0rn" on his computer. Except he didn't. If you read the article inside, it made clear the images were of category 1 only, ie the least serious, and most definitely not p0rn. "Child p0rn" is category 5. The regional and local press makes the likes of The Sun and Daily Mail look like the pillars of respectable and responsible, impartial and accurate journalism.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 18:52 
User

graball wrote:

I've no idea if/when Gordon Dyche plans to appeal, but if he does, and the conviction is overturned, the Shropshire Star (among others) will have to eat their words. Or newsprint. Naturally, they'll conveniently forget they wanted him lynched, and instead run a story about "this victim of a miscarriage of justice," instead putting the boot in to the criminal justice system. The regional and local press likes nothing better than hypocrisy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 19:48 

I was thinking more along the comments left so far are typically over the top anti young driver. I do like this bit though....

"Many drivers guilty of inattention and carelessness get away with it through luck............. On that day, the dice did not roll in Dyche’s favour. Lady luck was not on his side, nor on the side of those he inadvertently killed, and as a result he too has seen his life torn apart."

This first bit seems more appropriate to describe the woman's possible driving error than Dyche's.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 21:07 
User

Quote:
A driver has been jailed for four years for causing death by careless driving in a crash that killed a family.

Gordon Dyche, 24, of Llanbrynmair, Powys, was also given a further six months for a previously suspended sentence for handling stolen goods.

He could have got up to five years, but has previous convictions for multiple offences.
With good behaviour and early release with a tag, he could be out in a little over two years.

I'm puzzled by the description given - spinning the vehicle ANTI clockwise. He has basically performed a pit manouvre on a vehicle bearing right - which has gone into the reservoir on the right - anti clockwise??
Not much collision damage on the rear quarter?

The Highway Code wrote:
Overtaking (162-169)
Before overtaking you should make sure the road is sufficiently clear ahead
road users are not beginning to overtake you
there is a suitable gap in front of the road user you plan to overtake
Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so.
You should
not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake
use your mirrors, signal when it is safe to do so, take a quick sideways glance if necessary into the blind spot area and then start to move out

Goes on to say:
Quote:
DO NOT overtake if there is any doubt, or where you cannot see far enough ahead to be sure it is safe. For example, when you are approaching
a corner or bend
a hump bridge
the brow of a hill
DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example
approaching or at a road junction on either side of the road
where the road narrows
when approaching a school crossing patrol
between the kerb and a bus or tram when it is at a stop
where traffic is queuing at junctions or road works
when you would force another road user to swerve or slow down
at a level crossing
when a road user is indicating right, even if you believe the signal should have been cancelled. Do not take a risk; wait for the signal to be cancelled

I think he is sunk on that last point, sine the witness stated the indicator was on.
His speed has been such that he has pushed her vehicle off the road, despite her indication... resulting in fatalities, and the death by careless charge.
Her error was in watching the road ahead more than her mirror.... while being passed by an impatient driver - who apparently admitted to this in court.
Would she get a careless charge for that, given the CPS have to be nearly certain of a conviction?
Very doubtful... especially as she has lost family members.
Public interest will have played a big part in charting the prosecution course.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 03:45 
Site Admin

I have gone through this and added my thoughts below so forgive my long post please ! :
malcolmw wrote:
If you look at the photograph captioned "Dreadful Situation" you can see that both cars would have approached the layby on the right coming over a brow round a left hand bend. The car that ended up in the lake was not local and would only have seen the layby and decided to turn into it at fairly short notice. The driver of the Mondeo was a local and presumably would have been gearing himself up to overtake on a stretch of road he knew well.

The critical factor here is how early the driver of the people carrier signalled. Too late, it would appear and there would have been nowhere for the Mondeo man to go. This may not be quite so simple.

PeterE wrote:
The report says there were two other vehicles between the Mondeo and the 807, so he might not have seen the indicators anyway. But, on the other hand, if a convoy ahead of you slows for no apparent reason, it makes sense to establish the cause rather than just going for an overtake.

All of the above thoughts are what occurred to me too as I have imagined this scenario.

I am also concerned with the papers reporting that the overtake was 'impatient', how can they possibly establish that? Are all 'overakers' now classed as 'impatient' how outrageous ! Overtaking is a perfectly legal manoeuvre !

I to think that the lady pulling across a road into a dirt area (as this is no official 'layby' but a patch of makeshift gravel where a vehicle might consider pulling in to!) did need to ensure that all around her was safe before her manoeuvre. She failed to do so.
The overtaker should too have ensured why the vehicles were either stopped, braking, slowing or otherwise recognising some developing hazard. He showed a lack of attention to reading the road conditions.

Doing a 'right pull out' after the left bend should make one highly cautious indeed, but I don't think that she thought through this from what she says. She seems to think that none of it is her fault which is a shame but understandable when it is all so very tragic.
Why didn't she check others before exiting the vehicle? Did she turn on her lights before exiting ? I appreciate not everyone remains calm when in shock and after an unexpected event like this.

It does make me wonder if she simply slowed - (even more than the 40mph that she claims that she was doing on what looks like a 60mph road) and then simply pulled out ... as others have said like and overtake ... NOT like a right turn, no one would make a right turn move into this parking area, it would be more like a gentle angle across the road - did the overtake think she might have been overtaking something, but then realises just how slow (and slowing and even braking) her vehicle is going? Many only indicate as they take the move so she might have only indicated as she went across the road. Many 'see' intentional moves before they are indicated and so witnesses might be confusing things. She was going very slowly for this road already - implying lots including 'tourist' so expect stops or slows etc ... !
This doesn't excuse the overtakers actions !

From overtakers angle (now looking at Google - thanks for the links :) ), her car may have been pretty obscured by the others and he will have had (given good weather / daylight conditions), vision to see that the road ahead was potentially free from oncoming vehicles. Could the road curve and hill prevented him seeing her vehicle pulling out until very late ? The vehicles behind her braking he might have mistaken for corner braking too..
I do not 'get' her car going 'ANTI-clockwise' either ... did she hit the throttle ?

All previous driving offences are never meant to be 'known to the Court' until AFTER a case is heard as it should never influence any new case !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 04:12 
Site Admin

Baring in mind the minimal damage visible on the vehicle in the piccy, on the n/s one is left to assume that the damage is on the offside, in which case she would have spun clockwise, although after hitting the verge other factors will be in play ... but what if she hit the throttle (seeing the overtaking vehicle) and also created a secondary skid ? I tend to think that a shunt would negate a 2ndary skid and that force take over the other...
Just a thought?

Clearly his vehicle has front end damage ...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 07:51 
User

Quote:
I am also concerned with the papers reporting that the overtake was 'impatient', how can they possibly establish that? Are all 'overakers' now classed as 'impatient' how outrageous ! Overtaking is a perfectly legal manoeuvre !

It is simple - he admitted this at the scene, and it was quickly brought up in court.

From what we can see, I am presuming that the vehicle SPUN clockwise, and on reaching the top of the bank, ROLLED anticlockwise into the water - that way it makes sense, and the passenger side door panels show damage you would expect from it hitting the water on that side.

Evidence said the vehicle came to rest below the surface in an upright position - I suspect it is incredibly difficult to aid occupants on the opposite side to get out - finding belt, operating door catches while leaning across etc. while underwater must be nearly impossible.

Unfortunately, you cannot open the doors until the cabin has filled with water and equalised the pressure - open windows as soon as possible will help - but is often the last thing occupants want to do, as they prefer to keep the water out as long as possible.

http://www.wikihow.com/Escape-from-a-Sinking-Car

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next