Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 01:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: MOT and MIL's
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 16:22 
User

If it is now an MOT fail to have any MIL on at the time of testing. Is it now also an offence to use a car with any MIL on ?? :scratchchin:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: MOT and MIL's
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 23:14 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Dusty wrote:
If it is now an MOT fail to have any MIL on at the time of testing. Is it now also an offence to use a car with any MIL on ?? :scratchchin:

MIL ????????, PLEASE ELABORATE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 01:07 
Site Admin

here : http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/motoring/ow ... dg_4022109
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/CONT071791.pdf
MOT manuals : http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/publications ... guides.htm

The MOT test now includes a ‘Malfunction Indicator Lamp’ check (MIL).
http://conversation.which.co.uk/transpo ... ar-safety/
Which by Dave Evans Cars Researcher wrote:
Warning lights on? Your car will fail its MOT test
by Dave Evans, Cars Researcher - Transport & Travel 9 January 2012

New tougher MOT rules will require your car dashboard’s warning lights to be working. If they don’t, your car will fail its MOT test. Is this a much needed safety improvement or a route to more rip offs?
Car warning lights126

The MOT test now includes a ‘Malfunction Indicator Lamp’ check. This requires the examiner to visually check that warning lights for electronic stability control, safety restraint systems, anti-lock braking systems and tyre pressure monitoring systems are not permanently illuminated.

The requirement came into effect on 1 January to comply with a revised European testing directive. It will be highlighted as an ‘advisory’ item only until 31 March, but from 1 April onwards, vehicles will fail an MOT if these lights are illuminated.

It’s just a visual check – so doesn’t require any diagnostic equipment to evaluate the actual cause of the light being on, but you can bet your bottom dollar the garage will charge you to investigate why a light is on (it will scan the system for a fault code, pointing to the cause).
The risk of rogue warning lights

When I recently asked my Renault dealer to investigate a warning light, the first thing they said was that there would be a £45 charge for a diagnostic check, then additional rectification costs depending on what that revealed.

My ‘fault’ was a service warning to check the handbrake (not covered by the new MOT rules as far as I can tell) which came on after the battery was disconnected.

As an ex-mechanic, I checked the physical components of the handbrake and there wasn’t an actual handbrake fault. In my view, it was simply a rogue indication because of the loss of power to the system. But to find that out for sure, I have to stump up £45, without even thinking of any consequential costs.

Don’t get me wrong, I completely agree that these lights are important – and if functioning correctly, they can let you know of a genuine safety risk.

So it seems sensible to make these an advisory notice. But, to me, the idea that they constitute an automatic MOT failure (without a proper investigation) leaves motorists open to being charged extra, perhaps simply because modern electronic systems are still too quirky and can display rogue signals from time to time. Would your car pass these new MOT rules?
I think this added check on lights on the dashboard is a bit OTT.
I can easily see the seriousness of this issue and if they might fail, this is just the problem when we start to rely on electronic systems - they go wrong ! Now the consumer is beginning to pay the price of failing systems. It might make some cars unaffordable when a light goes wrong and the cost of a full electronic test to check it and repair it becomes far to exorbitant and how many garage mechanics can deal with electronic diagnostics at this level !?
I wonder how they are going to test for the fluid lights ? Empty containers then refill ? Messa round with the sensors ? How many will they break !? (No I don't tend to trust garages !)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 08:02 
User

how do they know which systems are fitted to the vehicle ??
whats to stop you disconnecting the lamp & saying it was an option never fitted ?

equally, do they check for a failed warning lamp? .. there's a reason ALL the lamps come on initially when you power up.... if you don't see the ABS / ESP light then you still have some issue or other.

overall tho' a good thing..... its very easy to drive round ignoring a lamp, yes it may be a minor issue but equally the safety case for these systems also relies on being able to warn the driver if there is a problem (minor or major).
same way as its easy to drive round with knackered dampers / bushes / broken springs, probably shouldn't and if the MOT is the only way you're forced to address it then on balance a good thing.

(wasn't there a recent survey listing new cars most likely to fail their first MOT after 3 years, i seem to recall the mini was one of them.... which seemed more of an indictment on the average mini owner failing to maintain or address issues until they had to :roll: )

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 08:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sales of disgnostic code scanners rise....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 19:26 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ed_m wrote:
how do they know which systems are fitted to the vehicle ??
whats to stop you disconnecting the lamp & saying it was an option never fitted ?

equally, do they check for a failed warning lamp? .. there's a reason ALL the lamps come on initially when you power up.... if you don't see the ABS / ESP light then you still have some issue or other.

overall tho' a good thing..... its very easy to drive round ignoring a lamp, yes it may be a minor issue but equally the safety case for these systems also relies on being able to warn the driver if there is a problem (minor or major).
same way as its easy to drive round with knackered dampers / bushes / broken springs, probably shouldn't and if the MOT is the only way you're forced to address it then on balance a good thing.

(wasn't there a recent survey listing new cars most likely to fail their first MOT after 3 years, i seem to recall the mini was one of them.... which seemed more of an indictment on the average mini owner failing to maintain or address issues until they had to :roll: )

Thanks for elaborating on the abbreviations. As Ed says- how would/can they know? Anyone insuring a car recently will know the feeling. Usual questions are "does it have an airbag" and "is there an immobiliser fitted. " It came as a surprise to mine last year when I informed them the immobiliser was class 2 .So without model specs ,how would a MOT bloke know if a lamp was a dummy. It's like one place I went to telling me that my front discs were worn. They were ( 50%) -but he can only look.I can measure,and the figures shocked him . Still went down as an advisory, but from stories ,it seems he's putting anything out of ordinary down to avoid another problem with dvla .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:31 
User

Perhaps it would make more sense for a fault code scan to be included in the test, and depending on the fault a pass or fail is issued.

My car recently had the malfunction light come on, the cause: Air conditioning failure! Hardly a safety issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 15:04 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Odin wrote:
Perhaps it would make more sense for a fault code scan to be included in the test, and depending on the fault a pass or fail is issued.

My car recently had the malfunction light come on, the cause: Air conditioning failure! Hardly a safety issue.

Had one come on in last car on way to work . Vauxhall wanted £60 to do a scan .AA did it for nothing, read fault ( which turned out to be a misfire on No1 cyl,that had cleared ),but couldn't reset it .The light went out shortly after .Possibly being read was enough .
But a scan would be a nice reason to up the price ,or the likes of the garage in my last post to find other things that "needed" looking at .
Again ,the little places might object, as the cost of software for every type/model might be too much.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 15:29 
User

Most cars (newish) have a sequence to reset service warnings etc.
For instance: ignition enabled, switch flashers on for three flashes, switch headlights on then off.

(I note the occupant of number 11 has deferred the rise of fuel duty. The servile trash masquerading as journalists say he/they/us will lose 500 million. I reckon he will gain since fuel use dropped the last few rises)

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 16:19 
User

Quote:
(I note the occupant of number 11 has deferred the rise of fuel duty. The servile trash masquerading as journalists say he/they/us will lose 500 million. I reckon he will gain since fuel use dropped the last few rises)

By my quick calculation, assuming a pump price of 1.30 per litre (ridiculously low I know) and ignoring the VAT implication of this, that suggests that the UK will consume approx. 17 billion litres of fuel in the remainder of this tax year! That seems high, considering it excludes the users who don't pay fuel duty (agricultural vehicles for example).

Quote:
Had one come on in last car on way to work . Vauxhall wanted £60 to do a scan .

Interesting, mine is also a vauxhall. Handy tip: Ebay, bluetooth fault code reader £30. Just cleared a fault off of mine, turbo boost pressure high! I know, I upped the boost!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 18:43 

If it helps, the MILS that are checked in an MOT are specifically mentioned within the Inspection manual, so there's no danger of failing for an aircon fault or if the "ashtray full" warning light is on. Broadly, it's only those that could affect safety performance.

As far as generating extra work for MOT garages, I just try not to use any garage that does repair work. Then there's no incentive. It has always gone on though. I can remember being failed for three perfectly good tyres once (and coincidentally, they had a special offer on for tyres of my size that day)! I just said "fair enough, I'll get some part-worns and pop back this afternoon". Came back after lunch (without having touched a tyre) and they wrote out the ticket.

As for whether or not it's worthwhile, well, I guess if my airbag light is telling me that my airbag won't deploy, I'd rather find that out at MOT than when I have a big crash! Same with Electronic Stability Control. Better to find out at MOT than by suddenly having the back end lock up one day when I brake hard and punt me off into the scenery!

The only thing I DON'T agree with, is the (effective) lack of choice. If I CHOOSE to eschew the extra safety of a car with airbags, belt pre-tensioners, ABS, ESC, etc, on the grounds that I want basic mobility on a budget, I find that (short of getting a classic car), I'm increasingly denied that option by the regulators, the manufacturers, or both. I think that's unfair. I'm even wondering whether, after years of bumping along the bottom, the kit car market is going to start taking off again as people fel the pinch but stil lneed some basic personal mobility!

Generic fault code readers are OK (up to a point) on more recent cars, but older ones didn't output their fault codes in a standardised format, so they tend not to work properly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 21:42 
Gold Member
Gold Member

jomukuk wrote:

Going O/T, but on the fuel rise thing- interesting to note that petrol places have been dropping fuel prices in past few weeks. ( Know that this could be seen as conspiracy theory, but hang on) - low prices, tax goes up 3p , garages up prices by 5p -garages get 2p increase and HMG gets blame. It always seems that fuel prices drop pending a Gov't tax rise ,and then rise by more than the duty increase .Or is it me being a GOS?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 18:19 
User

I can't see why a car that has a function that is not working is any less safe than a car that never had that function in the first place. If the warning light is on you are after all aware that that function is not working. I have had cars with abs on since the early 90's but have not ever had it come into operation, other than purposly trying it to see what happened on ice.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 19:47 

Although not a fan of cars with ABS and ESP (avoid them when I can, I always buy older,if possible), I can see the point of a warning light telling you it's failed. Braking on slippery surfaces in a car without ABS is totally different to braking on the same surface with it and I can imagine driving with an ESP fitted car that suddenly loses it, could cause quite a few lesser experienced drivers (who have probably never driven a none ESP car), to come a cropper on slippery roads. I used to have an Omega estate where the engine management light used to come and go on a daily basis and the ABS light come on about once a week but thankfully my "weekend" car doesn't have such gadgets and apart from a low oil level light being stuck on (didn't fail the MOT last week because of it) I don't have to worry about such things but my mate, who'se an ex mechanic, says that ABS systems fail regularly and can cost a fortune to replace.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 19:50 

I've got another mate (yes more than 1... :wink: ) who has a Renault with warning lights for everything and two of the low tyre pressure ones are permanently on, so I don't know how he will get on at his next MOT.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 23:45 

You need a warning light for ABS or ESC malfunction because the car could become unstable, under certain circumstances, without them. They do NOT necessarily, simply behave like a car without ABS / ESC. It's a bit like saying an Airbus that looses it's fly-by-wire behaves like a DC10!

In the "good old days" when cars didn't have fancy bits on their brakes, the systems were designed so that under no circumstances could the rear wheels lock before the fronts and cause you to spin off. This was achieved in a variety of ways - largely by making the rear brakes pretty useless, but also by having load and / or pressure and / or deceleration sensing / limiting valves in the system. Even then, you could still get failures. I can remember getting Mrs M's Mini (old shape!) alarmingly sideways on applying the brakes once.

As ABS systems got cleverer, they started to take over the function of these mechanical valves too. The manufacturers also started making the back brakes capable of doing more stopping. Let's face it, like-for-like, modern cars do tend to stop in shorter distances. The downside of this (a bit like fly-by-wire) is that although you get a car that can do more and perform better, you won't necessarily know about certain failures without being warned by a light. I think it's pretty common in handbooks to see wording along the lines of: "if this comes on, proceed with caution to your nearest dealer".

It's absolutely true that you might never suffer the ill effects of such a failure. The manufacturers still go to enormous lengths to try and build in as many fail-safes as they can, but it IS technically possible!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:08 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I suspect we will see an increase of "reprogramming" for things that are options on specific models - it is entirely possible to reprogram a car to think it doesn't have an "XXXX" - thus the warning light goes out and stays out...

to sink your ship of fools

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 13:11 

I think we're more likely to see pikey kits that just send a signal to the warning light to mimic what it's supposed to do in a healthy car! I already know older cars where people have done this. The ABS light is supposd to go out when the alternator light goes out, so they've just connected the bulbs together! From about 2014, it's going to be mandatory for all new (mass produced) passengers cars to have ESC, so increasingly, the MOT testers aren't going to believe that it was never fitted to that vehicle. I'm sure VOSA will monitor the situation and add standard vehicle features to the database along with emissions data, so as soon s the chassis number goes into the computer, it'll tell them what to look for and what sequence the lights are supposed to follow.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 21:50 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mole wrote:
You need a warning light for ABS or ESC malfunction because the car could become unstable, under certain circumstances, without them. They do NOT necessarily, simply behave like a car without ABS / ESC. It's a bit like saying an Airbus that looses it's fly-by-wire behaves like a DC10!

!

I wonder how many problems are caused by drivers believing that with ABS/ESP /ESC and all the other abbreviations possible that it's not possible to lose control .But ,unfortunately when things go awry on these cars, it's past the point of no return, and have these modern drivers the skills to recognise when limits are reached. I would suggest that poor driving is covered up by mechanical intervention. Perhaps we need an MOT of drivers ,to see how many can cope with the how the likes of classic cars ( one example is the Moggy 1000 with a lively rear end) coped when thrown around. With that in mind, I'd suggest that it's the younger drivers that need testing, not the elderly, who've driven by the seat of their pants for that long, that they don't need the modern driving aids.,and instinctively know how to respond if their car is out of control. What we've now got is a generation of drivers who think that all these wonderful aids are akin to a space fiction space craft shield.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 23:49 

botach wrote:
I wonder how many problems are caused by drivers believing that with ABS/ESP /ESC and all the other abbreviations possible that it's not possible to lose control .But ,unfortunately when things go awry on these cars, it's past the point of no return, and have these modern drivers the skills to recognise when limits are reached.

Fewer than in the days before all these electronic aids, if the statistics are to be believed. (Well, either that or it must be down to the SCPs reducing the KSI rate! :wink: )

botach wrote:
I would suggest that poor driving is covered up by mechanical intervention. Perhaps we need an MOT of drivers ,to see how many can cope with the how the likes of classic cars ( one example is the Moggy 1000 with a lively rear end) coped when thrown around. With that in mind, I'd suggest that it's the younger drivers that need testing, not the elderly, who've driven by the seat of their pants for that long, that they don't need the modern driving aids.,and instinctively know how to respond if their car is out of control. What we've now got is a generation of drivers who think that all these wonderful aids are akin to a space fiction space craft shield.

Dunno. It's a really complex one. Like you (in fact, probably mroe recetly!) I learned to drive in cars with no driver aids. My first was a little Reliant Rebel (a 4-legged one) with a whopping 35 horsepower, un-servoed drums all round, and crossplies that make today's pushbike tyres look wide! Like most other cars of the day, it had very little grip, so I learned all about what happens when you get to the limit, at very low speeds. Even when the car did let go, it was very progressive, and at such low speeds that with 35 horse, you'd pretty much no sooner have lost grip than you'd scrubbed off enough speed for it to bite again.

However, it was also true to say that those cars were much more communicative to their drivers about the road conditions and what the tyres were up to. Modern cars are so refined and well-insulated and their control systems are so heavily assisted, that the driver has to try much harder to work out what the car is telling him. They also do odd things that you wouldn't expect when you get close to the limit, as their various stability control features progressively start to try and save your life. The disadvantage, as you say, is that they aren't half going quick when they DO finally let go! And unless they're the sporty types and the handling has been optimised in that way, they're not that progressive.

I seemed to remember that most "ordinary" front wheel drive hatchbacks and saloons of the late '70s and early '80s tended to understeer like mad. That was, after all, generally regarded as the safest handling characteristic if you were going to loose grip. One good thing I notice about today's equivalent cars is that they often feel much more neutral (presumably because the manufacturers can afford to have them more neutral in the knowledge that as they reach their limits, the ESC will ensure that they don't have any nasty tricks up their sleeves). That's a welcome addition.