Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 23:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Traffic light camera
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:53 
User

Quick question.

Yesterday I was driving through Chelmsford and as I was approaching a set of traffic lights controleld by a camera they turned amber as I was fairly close to them ( I was travelling at about 25 MPH). It was too close to stop safely so I went through, I believe I crossed the line whilst they were still Amber, but my question is, does the camera activate the nanosecond it turns red, i.e if my back wheels had crossed as it turned red would I get caught?

Also do all red light cameras catch speed too as I did speed up slightly to ensure I cleared it as best as possible. Im fairly sure I would not have sped up further than 29-32 in any case, but would like some re-assurance.

Thanks

Rob

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Traffic light camera
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 21:09 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
I believe you have a period of grace ( 3 sec comes to mind) before the red light camera gets activated. But I've heard of new ( think it's Serco red light/ speed cameras ) being used . Old safety training( my driving instructor was an IAM instructor) was that if you couldn't stop on a yellow - as it changed in your face, you dropped a gear and booted it - you'd be over the crossing before the other lot changed. Now with this new breed, sit back and wait for the accident rate to mount up( and the cash rate on SAC to reach endemic proportions).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:27 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I hadn't heard that before Botach but having been in these situations so many times, myself and years of observing drivers doing these things, I have a theory..

I've often stopped where other drivers have zoomed past me and I think It's about going over the first set ON red. When they have gone over the first on amber but the second set on red it hasn't triggered.

I would hope that's how it works because that seems fair to me; but since when did fair come into road matters... :doh:

It's a good question Rob and one I've always wanted a definate answer to. I've been honked at from behind for stopping, when he expected me to go over on amber and follow me through. He hadn't a clue what I was trying to say as I pointed at the redspeed camera. :x

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 19:54 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Tone- pretty certain I read about the delay on this site. Someone knowledgeable will possibly pop in to say either way .
Wiki does mention a delay period ,but does not state it .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 20:15 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well I hope so Botach because the penalty for running a red light far exceeds the insurance viewpoint on speeding. (What does that tell you?)

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 22:59 
User

Its been there quite a while so I assume its an old style one. Is the delay betwene going red and activation over 0.5 seconds then?

Thanks for ereplies