Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A36 safety camera stolen
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 00:40 
Site Admin

A36 safety camera stolen - press release 11th April 2012

The safety camera on the A36 at West Wellow was installed in December 2003 to reduce speed and reduce road casualties. During the three years prior to installation there were 5 fatal or serious casualties and 22 slight casualties on this section of road. The presence of the camera has contributed to reducing the number of persons injured by almost 60 per cent.

The Hampshire Constabulary Safer Roads Unit is concerned the criminal damage and theft of this valuable piece of road safety equipment could result in the number of collisions increasing on the A36 as drivers may choose to no-longer adhere to the speed limit.

The Safer Roads Unit manager, said: "One possible motive for this crime is that an image may have been captured and the driver photographed wants to destroy the evidence. This could be due to a speeding offence or more serious crime.

"The replacement of the equipment will cost Hampshire Constabulary around £40,000 at a time when its budget has been cut. The equipment stolen has no re-sale value and it will probably be disposed of by the criminals concerned.

"The irony here is that the person caught speeding would probably get a £60 fine and three points on there licence or a speed awareness course - a theft and criminal damage of this nature would carry much greater consequences."
How little they understand what they are doing ! RTTM and Bias on selection!
They are not fit for purpose if they really do not understand this. It is criminal surely too place something that is so distracting & have so many [url==http://ww.safspeed.org.uk/effects.htm]negative effects[/url] for road safety on the roadside !

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:17 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Whinwhistle Road rears its head again. Notice the very careful wording of the text by the SCP.

Quote:
The presence of the camera has contributed to reducing the number of persons injured by almost 60 per cent.

Notice that they don't mention deaths as they do in the previous sentence. That's because shortly after the camera was installed two people were killed at this very spot. As I keep saying, this location needs traffic lights because of the dips in the road and the lack of visibility.

The camera was cut off by using an angle grinder. If I told you there was a "traveller's" site less than a mile away you might think that the police would look there first - but they are still searching.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 13:09 
User

Maybe the "criminals" could flog it to that guy that got all the flak for having a cardboard one in his garden...? :scratchchin:

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 21:13 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Quote:
The presence of the camera has contributed to reducing the number of persons injured by almost 60 per cent.

In the theme oft used in HOC ,at PM question time :
I refer folks to a post I made a while ago ,referring to accidents at camera sites

For those with the usual SCP Myopia -the sign says "Accident here .........." .

And this one

This time the camera was witnessed having an accident ,and self destructing .

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 22:15 
User

Well while they are saving up thier pennies to buy a new camera, it will be interesting to see if accident rates do go up, which you would expect if the cameras are so effective.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 00:11 

This one...... at bennet's bank, wellington
http://goo.gl/maps/TDM3

....Got taken down a at least a year ago (after being attacked at least twice). It was, I believe, the first and most active camera in Shropshire. I wonder if Claire could find out how much the "carnage" has increased since then, off our local SCP?

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 09:39 
Gold Member
Gold Member

We can’t assume it’s a person who’s been done and holds a grudge; the criminals are struggling to find metal to sell. There’s no lead left on churches and the trains have all but stopped because the copper wire has been sold for scrap. So all that’s left for them now is road furniture.

My neighbour’s been done recently in Norfolk. He said he’s going to take the points because he’s been told the speed awareness course must be done all the way back in Norfolk where the offence was committed. WTF is that about, unless it’s the local authority who gets the money.. :banghead:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 20:43 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
whynot wrote:
Well while they are saving up thier pennies to buy a new camera, it will be interesting to see if accident rates do go up, which you would expect if the cameras are so effective.

I certainly never heard of any major accidents on the road in questions ,and I'm certain that Warks SCP would only be too keen to point to lack of camera as a cause . However, one year later ,it was replaced .Possibly the entire year's safety allowance spent on one camera. By Harry, there must be a lot of profit in them thar Safety Awareness courses . It's all about PROFIT( and preventing the SCP organisation having to make redundancies) not road safety.Meanwhile in the realms of road safety and crime prevention, Warks are implementing the decision to early retire officers above a certain age - can you imagine any SANE industry getting rid of an experienced middle management team .