Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 01:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: Speed
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 20:27 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
And from that last lot,weepy, you fail to consider those who find that more than a short walk is excessive. At the moment ,I'm suffering from a groin strain, so my normal short walk to the nearby garage has been replaced with a short trip in the car. I'm also waiting for the results of an X ray on my hip. Another reason why I use the car for what a lot of folk would consider short trips. It might be short to you ,but I know that if I were to walk it,I'd end up with pains in my back ,as the trip to the garage is uphill.So some of us have to drive "almost everywhere". I could of course use my bus pass to go down town ( approx 2 miles) ,but the nearest bus stop is some distance .Add to that ,that in their infinite wisdom,HMG considers that my wife,although over 60 ,is too young to qualify. So more than two trips per week adds up to more than VED+INSURANCE + a moderate amount of fuel .

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 20:38 
Gold Member
Gold Member

weepej wrote:
Tone, you wrote "western lifestyle" like we're obliged to drive our cars everywhere.
Not really, or so I thought. IFAIK most people, when referring to ‘The West’ mean all things associated with the so-called civilized world like T.Vs, tarmacadam roads, ‘the pill’, cars, a Tuxedo etc. etc. Although I concede even the Wiki definition is a bit woolly

weepej wrote:
I don't claim to use it all the time, sometimes I use my car, and sometimes I walk and sometimes I get the bus/tube, heck, sometime I even get a boat!
Well, unless you want me to find exactly where you said it, I’m sure you once said you cycle across London every day to work about 20 miles a day, or just the one way? It was something like that because I was quite impressed at the time - and made me feel like my 9 mile round trip was a bit wimpish.

weepej wrote:
Big Tone wrote:
in arguably the worst Western city in Europe for cycling
It's pretty bad is some respects, but absolutely brilliant in others. It's fantastic to cycle in, so much to see, just some of the junctions and attitudes are from the "motorist is the king of society" 60s.
Tut tut. :nono: I may as well point it out before anyone else does but: The attitude of many or most cyclists in London leaves a lot to be desired, so I keep being told. And as for cyclists and “some of the junctions”. (Big cough!). Cyclists in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones? :wink:

weepej wrote:
Big Tone wrote:
isn't exactly something you might see in, let's pick, Ethiopia.
:DDD
Ethiopian cycling team: http://www.marcopolocyclingteam.com/en/ ... exmond.jpg
:lol:
Ok, but I don’t expect it’s a common sight then, as they zoom past the folk fetching water from 10 miles away on their heads.

weepej wrote:
Big Tone wrote:
speeding
Yup, hate that.
Yup, you hate the 40mph you did last week because they changed it to a :30: since. :loco: Yup, no flies on you... :roll:

weepej wrote:
Big Tone wrote:
and what you believe to be such an aggressive anti-cycling culture so much wtf, and why, did you pick London of all places to live/work :?
Because I believe it can change to be better than it already is, just like Amsterdam did 30 years ago.
Well, I sincerely hope you’re right on that one, and for Brum and other cities...

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 07:34 
User

botach wrote:
And from that last lot,weepy, you fail to consider those who find that more than a short walk is excessive. At the moment ,I'm suffering from a groin strain, so my normal short walk to the nearby garage has been replaced with a short trip in the car. I'm also waiting for the results of an X ray on my hip. Another reason why I use the car for what a lot of folk would consider short trips. It might be short to you ,but I know that if I were to walk it,I'd end up with pains in my back ,as the trip to the garage is uphill.So some of us have to drive "almost everywhere". I could of course use my bus pass to go down town ( approx 2 miles) ,but the nearest bus stop is some distance .Add to that ,that in their infinite wisdom,HMG considers that my wife,although over 60 ,is too young to qualify. So more than two trips per week adds up to more than VED+INSURANCE + a moderate amount of fuel .

botach, only you think I was suggesting people who are unable to walk or cycle such distances because of ailments and disabilities shouldn't use their car.

On the flip side, if those that didn't need to use their car for such journeys abstained you'd find your (necessary) car journey easier and quicker.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 07:45 
User

Big Tone wrote:
Well, unless you want me to find exactly where you said it, I’m sure you once said you cycle across London every day to work about 20 miles a day, or just the one way? It was something like that because I was quite impressed at the time - and made me feel like my 9 mile round trip was a bit wimpish.

I'm about to set off actually, 17 miles each way, I go the long way round quite regularly cos I enjoy the ride so much (and the longer route goes via a veeeery good caff that serves the BEST bacon rolls), how many other forms of transport would people purposefully pick the long way round cos they enjoy the longer route?

Big Tone wrote:
Tut tut. :nono: I may as well point it out before anyone else does but: The attitude of many or most cyclists in London leaves a lot to be desired, so I keep being told. And as for cyclists and “some of the junctions”. (Big cough!). Cyclists in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones? :wink:

Many or most? Reduced to generalising there then?

I'm not in a glass house Tone, I don't jump red lights, many don't, some do. Lots of people in cars do too (shooting late reds is very common for people in motorised vehicles, I'd say the last two vehicles through pretty much always jump the red).

Unless you think I'm in a glass house simply because I ride a cycle sometimes? Do you apply such lazy prejudices in other parts of your life?

And don't you regularly cycle along on the pavement? I'd never do that unless it was designated shared use, so it sounds like it's you in the glass house right?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 08:20 

Quote:
how many other forms of transport would people purposefully pick the long way round cos they enjoy the longer route?

Car drivers for one.(unless I'm in the minority) I often take a longer route because it is more scenic/less tiring/avoids pointless manufactured congestion caused by un-necessary traffic lights.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 09:40 
Gold Member
Gold Member

weepej wrote:
...shooting late reds is very common for people in motorised vehicles, I'd say the last two vehicles through pretty much always jump the red).

Pretty funny coming from someone who immediately prior to making this statement was complaining about generalisations.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 18:35 
Supporter
Supporter

weepej wrote:
how many other forms of transport would people purposefully pick the long way round cos they enjoy the longer route?

I frequently walk up to 15 miles and end up back where I started for a total distance travelled of exactly zero. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 19:41 
Gold Member
Gold Member

weepej wrote:

botach, only you think I was suggesting people who are unable to walk or cycle such distances because of ailments and disabilities shouldn't use their car.

Think you'll find that a lot of the talk of westernisation suggests that more than you think that it's what you're suggesting
weepej wrote:
On the flip side, if those that didn't need to use their car for such journeys abstained you'd find your (necessary) car journey easier and quicker.

Why ? - on many a trip to the garage,I'd still use the car .I don't go there for fuel -too dear,but the shop has a lot of stuff ( eg milk) at very comparative prices . And one of the problems going short trips in this area are cyclists,who think pavements are cyclepaths .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 21:44 
User

botach wrote:
And one of the problems going short trips in this area are cyclists,who think pavements are cyclepaths .

What, all of them?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 22:10 
Gold Member
Gold Member

weepej wrote:
botach wrote:
And one of the problems going short trips in this area are cyclists,who think pavements are cyclepaths .

What, all of them?

Yes .Regular stream of kami kazi cyclists.Sorry, more like joy bikers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13