Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 16:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Gantry Gatsos
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 21:08 
Site Admin

When you travel around the M25 or any other motorway where there are Gantry Gatso Speed Enforcement Cameras but the limit changes just as you approach the gantry, are you aware how long it is before enforcement takes place?

Although I looked for clarification of 'how long' one has specifically, before enforcement takes place nothing I found clarified it, so I enquired. I now have that answer. :)

(about 3/4 down the page)
Q4.6: Will I be prosecuted if the speed limit changes as I drive under an overhead gantry?
There is sufficient time to enable drivers passing under changing speed limits on the overhead gantries to slow down safely before they reach the next gantry.

Q4.7: How do I know that the system was displaying a reduced speed limit at the time of my offence?
HADECS verifies the speed limit displayed at the time of the offence, which is corroborated by the image of the offending vehicle.

Q4.8: Who should I contact if I get a Notice of Intended Prosecution?
You should contact Kent Police in the first instance. If you receive a Notice of Intended Prosecution and the date of the offence is more than 14 days old this may be due to the time it has taken to identify you as the driver at the time of the offence, and you should contact Kent Police for any further assistance.

This raises various questions :
Q4.6 - Why is it unclear and not specified to help motorists know exactly how long they have ?

Q4.7 - The fact that they used to have two images, but now only one is required for Motorways (as an exception) when only equipment is in operation - why is this?

Q4.8 - This seems to be dismissing the 14 day procedure, which as far as I am aware has been standard practice for a very long time. So how long has this been extended to ? 16 days? 21days? If they can identify vehicles in oher circumstances perfectly well then why by simply driving on the Motorway does this now require an extension? Is it that they are holding the data (somewhere) for longer and so it is not 'administrated' or collected. Is the data held in hard drives in the boxes on the motorway ?
Will this change be limited to these cameras or include others ?

The Speedmeter Handbook (Forth Edition) here explains more.
Greenshed wrote:
The definition of the delay times between the setting of the variable speed limit sign and the enforcement is laid down in "The Speedmeter Handbook (Fourth Edition) Publication Number 15/05"published by the Centre for Applied Science and Technology (CAST). It used to be HOSDB ...
In any case detected by the HADECS system or similar variable limit system the evidence provides the time between the offence and the speed limit change.
The Highways Agency have chosen to say that "there is sufficient time after a speed limit change to slow to the new limit before enforcement recommences".

Speedmeter Handbook 4th Ed Home Office Scientific Development Branch by Dr S R Lewis 05 wrote:
Page 13 says:
5.9.2 The speedmeter shall enforce the displayed speed limit (or the National Speed Limit when none is displayed) only when:
i all the speed limit signs connected to it are correctly displaying the same speed limit, except when the hard shoulder of a motorway is actively managed and that lane may show either the same speed limit or a red X;
and
ii the speed limit has been displayed for one minute or longer. This delay shall be variable to at least five minutes.
The speedmeter shall not enforce speed in the actively managed hard shoulder when the red X is displayed. It shall operate with, and only with, all speed limit signs mounted on the same gantry, facing in the same direction and over the same carriageway, and every one of these signs fully operational.
5.9.3 Whenever the speed limit is changed, a single photograph shall be taken which will show the date in day, month and year and the time in hours, minutes and seconds when the display changed, the new speed limit set and the location code.
5.9.4 Within a variable speed limit, the time shown in photographs shall be within 10 seconds of a broadcast radio clock signal. On power up, the speedmeter shall not commence enforcement until this synchronisation has been established. Enforcement shall stop whenever synchronisation is not maintained or is not confirmed with the radio clock within 14 days.

Page 24 point 8.7 states : Variable speed limit signs
8.7.1 When using a variable speed limit sign or a simulator of the sign connected to the speedmeter, the following fault conditions shall be simulated while a speed measurement of 90 mph is simulated:
i failure of any bulb used to illuminate any part of the speed limit aspect;
and
ii power up of any extra bulb or bulbs used to illuminate other speed limit aspects and not used in the correct display.
No enforcement shall occur while these fault conditions are simulated.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Gantry Gatsos
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 09:29 
User

I'm pretty sure I found a value of 10seconds grace somewhere....

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 09:34 
User

here's the legislation... specific to m25 J10-16

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001 ... ion/4/made
Quote:
Speed limits4.—(1) Subject to paragraphs (4) and (5) below, where a motor vehicle being driven on any part of the relevant roads on any occasion passes a speed limit sign (“the sign in question”) no person shall, during the relevant period, drive the vehicle on any part of the relevant roads at a speed exceeding the relevant speed.
(2) For the purposes of paragraph (1) above, the relevant period is the period that begins immediately after the vehicle passes the sign in question and ends immediately before one of the following events occurs thereafter, namely—
(a)the vehicle passes a traffic sign which indicates that the national speed limit or any other specified maximum speed limit is in force; or
(b)the vehicle goes outside the area comprising the relevant roads.
(3) For the purposes of paragraph (1) above, “relevant speed” means the speed limit indicated by the sign in question at the time that the vehicle passes it.
(4) If—
(a)a motor vehicle being driven on any part of the relevant roads passes a speed limit sign at a particular location; and
(b)apart from this paragraph, the vehicle would be subject to a speed limit by virtue of this regulation, but would not have been subject to a speed limit by virtue of this regulation had it passed that location ten seconds earlier than was in fact the case,
the vehicle shall not be subject to any speed limit by virtue of this regulation.
(5) If—
(a)a motor vehicle being driven on any part of the relevant roads passes a speed limit sign at a particular location; and
(b)apart from this paragraph, the vehicle would be subject to a speed limit by virtue of this regulation, but would be subject to a higher speed limit by virtue of this regulation had it passed that location ten seconds earlier than was in fact the case,
paragraph (1) above shall have effect in relation to the vehicle as if it had passed that location ten seconds earlier than was in fact the case.

similar here for m25 J2-3:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012 ... ion/3/made

seems to have seperate legislation for every vsl / managed motorway section... m42 J7-9:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2009 ... ion/3/made

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:52 
User

The legislation allows the enforcement. The enforcement will not take place in automatic over-the-road speedmeters until a minimum period of one minute has elapsed. No over-the-road speedmeter can achieve Home Office Type Approval unless it meets the definition for the delay in the Speedmeter Handbook.
The 10 seconds requirement in the legislation therefore is always satisfied by the technology.
Are you saying that the information I have provided is wrong and you are challenging it or are you posing it as a question? If you are posing a question, my answer to that is immediately above.
The legislation you are pointing to varies the national speed limit on the motorway in the locations in which it is used otherwise the variable limit would not be lawful there; that's why there is a separate Act for each location.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 20:48 

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Q4.8 - This seems to be dismissing the 14 day procedure, which as far as I am aware has been standard practice for a very long time. So how long has this been extended to ? 16 days? 21days?

They have always been able to extend the 14 day rule if the driver was not the registered keeper.

I think that is what they are getting at when they say...
Quote:
If you receive a Notice of Intended Prosecution and the date of the offence is more than 14 days old this may be due to the time it has taken to identify you as the driver

The 14 day rule only applies to the RK. They write to the RK, RK has 28 days to name driver, they then write to nominated driver.

For instance the car may be a hire car, company car, or lease car.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 21:41 
Site Admin

GreenShed wrote:
No over-the-road speedmeter can achieve Home Office Type Approval unless it meets the definition for the delay in the Speedmeter Handbook.
So how exactly do they test that ?

Homer wrote:
SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Q4.8 - This seems to be dismissing the 14 day procedure, which as far as I am aware has been standard practice for a very long time. So how long has this been extended to ? 16 days? 21days?
They have always been able to extend the 14 day rule if the driver was not the registered keeper.
I guess. I am aware of that of course it just came across to me that the 14 days was being altered, but you maybe write on a re-read. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 01:30 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
GreenShed wrote:
No over-the-road speedmeter can achieve Home Office Type Approval unless it meets the definition for the delay in the Speedmeter Handbook.
So how exactly do they test that ?

Not really sure what you mean.

If you mean how do they test that the equipment will not enforce until 1 minute has elapsed, it is a trivial matter to set up a logical timed interlock It would also be trivial to test that in a road test.

If you mean, how do they check no speedmeter is approved unless it meets the specification in the speedmeter handbook; the tests above and the administrative process is used to make sure the design is in accordance with the specifications.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:26 
User

GreenShed wrote:
it is a trivial matter to set up a logical timed interlock It would also be trivial to test that in a road test.

If it is so trivial, would you be so kind as to describe this "logical timed interlock"?

Is it within the camera logic on the gantry or would this be done remotely? If remote, what measures are in place to ensure sub-second accuracy in the timing. Is a log-file maintained, recording the exact time a limit is reduced, the expiration of the timeout and any violations within that period (again, to sub-second accuracy). What anti-tamper measures are implemented in any log-files?

mb

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 18:08 
User

boomer wrote:
GreenShed wrote:
it is a trivial matter to set up a logical timed interlock It would also be trivial to test that in a road test.

If it is so trivial, would you be so kind as to describe this "logical timed interlock"?

Is it within the camera logic on the gantry or would this be done remotely? If remote, what measures are in place to ensure sub-second accuracy in the timing. Is a log-file maintained, recording the exact time a limit is reduced, the expiration of the timeout and any violations within that period (again, to sub-second accuracy). What anti-tamper measures are implemented in any log-files?

mb

Perhaps if you had bothered to read the first post in this subject and observed why your questions are redundant you wouldn't have needed to ask them.
See above...

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 19:54 
Site Admin

Thanks for the replies but it was the exact manner in which the product is tested by the Home Office. When I last spoke with them they said that they now merely look at the maths and if it looks 'ok' that's it. So it is in essence rubber stamped.
So I am interested in the exact way in which it works and exactly how it is (fully) tested, by process and procedure.

Boomers questions of 10sec timings seem fair - and not IMO answered by your replies to ed_m's questions - yet. :)
If you don't know the full answer or to this level you can just say of course.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 20:10 
User

There is no rubber stamping after a mathematical analysis.

The process involves a scientific analysis and then, when that suggests the system may provide satisfactory evidence it is passed to ACPO for testing in a practical situation.

I don't see the need to amplify on what has been previously explained when that amplification is required because of either laziness, ignorance or both.

The evidence contains the timing between the sign changes and the evidence/offence. There is no reason to further verify the evidence when the evidence contains relevant measurements. There is a large buffer period; one minute minimum, so what's the problem that the enquirer has sought to raise when there isn't one. ed-M and boomer's questions are not worth replying to as their answer is in the text above. The evidence is in the picture.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 21:33 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Boomers questions of 10sec timings seem fair - and not IMO answered by your replies to ed_m's questions - yet. :)
If you don't know the full answer or to this level you can just say of course.

No questions in my post ;)
Although since I found the 10sec clause I've occasionally wondered:
a) how it is communicated to the camera
b) whats logs are kept where of the chosen limit at any given time & how they are cross referenced with the timestamp on the cameras

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 00:40 
Site Admin

... And to add :

... and how that 10sec timing is logged for all future timing references to enable full verification that the system is running perfectly and without any faults. A self checking method.
Greenshed wrote:
There is no rubber stamping after a mathematical analysis.
That was my phrase of the procedure as explained to me and others by the Home Office directly.
Greenshed wrote:
The process involves a scientific analysis and then, when that suggests the system may provide satisfactory evidence it is passed to ACPO for testing in a practical situation.
As explained to me the 'mathematics are checked and if verified then approved. There is NO testing of the equipment by them whatsoever. So what 'scientific analysis' are you referring to precisely please.
ACPO is not independent enough or do you think that they are ? Who in ACPO tests the provided speed cameras, and who chose which cameras are to be tested please?
Greenshed wrote:
I don't see the need to amplify on what has been previously explained when that amplification is required because of either laziness, ignorance or both.
Can't say that I am aware of a previous explanation of this but I dare say a thorough search will reveal it. However thing do change so up to date and latest information is always welcomed. :) You can of course perhaps locate it and reference us towards it.
Greenshed wrote:
The evidence
What 'evidence' are you referring to ?
Greenshed wrote:
...contains the timing between the sign changes and the evidence/offence. There is no reason to further verify the evidence when the evidence contains relevant measurements. There is a large buffer period; one minute minimum, so what's the problem that the enquirer has sought to raise when there isn't one. ed-M and boomer's questions are not worth replying to as their answer is in the text above. The evidence is in the picture.
I want to know are the full procedures carried out by the Home Office exactly,
and then with regard to the ACPO testing as you describe:
How they choose which equipment ?
What processes are carried out by ACPO to test the eqipment?
Who carries out the testing for ACPO?
What procedures does this same ACPO 'testing body' do ?
Who hold the results and who checks those results please ?
Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:41 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ah! Greenie has resurfaced! Tell us GreenShed, will you be addressing any of the points you have been avoiding for so long on this visit?