It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 00:03 
Site Admin

RoadSafetyGB
RoadSafetyGB wrote:
Monday 23rd April 2012
Poll reveals parents' safety fears

Nearly eight out of 10 parents surveyed (78%) fear their son or daughter will be involved in a car crash according to new research by Good Egg Safety.

The survey also shows that one in three mums and dads (29%) think their children drive too fast while 10% of parents worry that their offspring will be tempted to send or check text messages behind the wheel. Furthermore, one in 10 parents are concerned their child will drink or take drugs when driving.

The survey of more than 1,000 parents has been carried out ahead of the launch of the new Good Egg Guide for Parents of New Drivers. 135,000 free copies of the guide are being made available to road safety teams, for distribution to parents across the UK.

Professor Steve Stradling, who sits on the Good Egg National Steering Group, said: "This publication will give parents the wherewithal to guide their children through the dangers during their fraught transition from anxious youngster to safe and careful driver.

“It focuses on avoiding all the factors such as distraction, tiredness, peer pressure, drink and drugs, and false confidence which can compromise the capacity to cope when behind the wheel."

Alan Kennedy, chair of Road Safety GB, said: “We are delighted to endorse this initiative and provide these potentially life-saving free guides to all our members across the UK. Keeping young drivers safer is a priority and this new parents guide will help do this.”

For more information contact Jan Deans at Good Egg Safety on 0131 667 8833.
Comments:
Idris Francis wrote:
Comment We all fear all sorts of things - sometimes rightly, sometimes wrongly. I once told a leading politician at that time that I was much more scared of living in the Police State he was building than of dying in a car crash.

2009 numbers for child (0-17) road casualties were (K) 186 (SI) 4,004 (Slight) 17,980 and (ALL) 20,561. With perhaps 20m children in Britain, the corresponding % figures are (K)0.001% or 1 in 100,000 years (SI) 0.02% or 1 in 5,000 years (Slight) 0.09% or 1 in 1,100 years or (All) 0.1% or 1 in 1,000 years.

The highest risks amongst these are of course run by older youngsters who drive when drunk, on drugs or using mobile phones, and the best advice for parents worried by such risks must surely be to do their utmost to ensure that their own children neither do these things nor consort with those who do.
Idris Francis

-------------------------
Their link here fails to work .... unless it's my computer.
1 - Distractions
2 - Choosing an instructor
3 - Minor and Major faults in a test
4 - Parent Pact
5 - Graduated Driving Licensing
6 - Penalty points
7 - Drugs and driving
8 - Drink and driving
----------------------------
So if I understand them correctly are they not saying that parents have failed to bring up their children correctly and now after they have gained their licence, now they provide some info on (perhaps) tell them how to be better parents? They have young adults that they want parents to take responsibility for at a time in their lives when they are independent ?
Why is the info not aimed at the young inexperienced ? Are these really the issues being addressed appropriately?

Their website claims :
The Problem
Some sobering facts...
Road traffic injuries are the number one cause of death for young people worldwide. Casualty rates among young drivers in the UK are the highest in Europe, with newly quali­fied drivers being especially at risk. Did you know that 1 in 5 novice drivers will crash in the first 6 months after passing their test? *
(My underline) Now why compare worldwide issues than UK one's ?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 00:13 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

The Problem
Some sobering facts...
Road traffic injuries are the number one cause of death for young people worldwide. Casualty rates among young drivers in the UK are the highest in Europe, with newly quali­fied drivers being especially at risk.

What? Worse than Greece? Worse than Bulgaria? When we're in at least the top three for the best overall road safety record in the whole of Europe?

Unless some facts can be quoted I'd say that stat is utterly incredible.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 20:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Perhaps there's another message. How about TEACHING kids HOW TO DRIVE. Not how to pass a test . Recently we had some industry bigwigs telling us that schooling is failing kids, as the exam syllabus is geared to an outmoded standard. Nothing taught is relevant to the workplace ,and some degree courses are in that league . Just how relevant to today's roads are the practices of yesteryear ? Few years ago , I asked my daughter's instructor if on a reverse turn she could use mirrors, rather than look over shoulder . Big NO . So if she drives a van . how does she complete that manoeuvre. With headrests all round, ow does a little person see out of the rear . Ask any professional driver ( i.e Trucky ) - they'll tell you - it's all about mirrors .
That's just one beef. I live a short distance from a test centre ,and daily ,I see a lot of things from the dark ages in driving,still being taught. WHY- because the DVLA still have their heads in a sand dune and are failing the next generation of drivers ,by insisting on using old fashioned training.
And as one old comedian used to say -"There's lots more"