Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 09:28 
User

Just had a dose of this, Never been so sick as long as I can remember! :shock:

The only consolation is that if it doesnt actually kill you recovery is as swift as the onset! (Amazing!)

But the though occured to me. Wasnt I lucky to be at home!!!!

Onset is unbelievably fast, literally from first inkling that something "Might not be right" to filling a bucket with uncontrolable violent retches is only a couple of minuits (Yes I DO mean a window of 100-200 seconds!) If you were in the inner lane of the M25 at heathrow on a busy day you would not have a chance to get to the hard shoulder before you were incapacitated and unable to drive!

What the hell do you do in these sort of circumstances? the vehicle has to be recovererd, You have to get home (You would need an ambulance but the hospitals really dont want you) No Taxi or police car is going to be interested. Anybody coming into contact with you (or any of your, erm, "Fluids") is likly to be infected unless they take serious precautions!

It must happen! what is the procedure??

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 20:18 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
The local version here had a touch of rear end problems, and lots of retching with little /no output. But I wouldn't have liked to be driving when it happened ,as it came on suddenly . Whether it was age ,I cannot tell but both of us had it.Just when we thought it had gone, it re appeared. And with it the only good thing .We both ate less leading to weight loss . Something we both needed .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 09:15 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Of course Alex Ferguson once successfully used diarrhoea as a defence against a charge of driving on the hard shoulder :roll:

Mind you, many might say he was full of sh*t anyway :P

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:10 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
PeterE wrote:
Of course Alex Ferguson once successfully used diarrhoea as a defence against a charge of driving on the hard shoulder :roll:

Mind you, many might say he was full of sh*t anyway :P

I'm surprised ,as where he comes from ,they don't usually part with much:D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 01:55 
Site Admin

There are of course many illness that can occur without much warning.

Calling 999 is the only course of action other than perhaps a friend to come and help too (take your vehicle and you back home). All hospitals will of course take you in and treat you and once diagnosed decide your length of stay. All proper precautions will be taken too to keep you isolated.
The problem is that when you fall ill, you might not know what it is and so others become infected before anyone realises.

I totally understand the difficulties and the embarrassment such problems can involve however, and hence why calling the police/ambulance is necessary. Not sure if the AA would help you take your car home though if it is you that has malfunctioned ! :lol:

I tend to have a host of 'kit' that might get me out of bother, but a very urgent need for a toilet when ill is a most difficult one to solve.

I think that unless you were in a traffic jam you would be able to reach the hard shoulder. But when is is best to turn on the hazards? You need to indicate to reach the HS but you also need to express your urgent need. It is a little bit of a conflict. I think I'd indicate and get to the HS as quickly and safely as I could, then apply hazards. By always trying to ensure that I have good space around me, it will also allow for this circumstance and my ability to start to show interest in puling over.