Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 02:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 20:26 
Site Admin

Yes indeed somewhat worrying - Why are they talking about 'car parks' ! ?

Then there is a link to :
What Car wrote:
80mph speed limit will hit fuel bills
15 November 2011
Proposed new limit for motorways... - ...will increase the cost of your journey - Special What Car? study results

Increasing the motorway limit could hit you in the pocket, according to our research

A new 80mph limit on motorways would hit fuel consumption and increase running costs, a What Car? study has revealed.

These were the results of a What Car? study, after doing steady-speed tests at both 70mph and 80mph with a diesel-powered Ford Focus.

These findings go against the proposal announced by the then Transport Secretary Philip Hammond in September, when he said raising the speed limit would ‘generate economic benefits, worth hundreds of millions of pounds per year from savings of travel time’.

At 70mph, our Focus 1.6 TDCi 115 5dr averaged 51.5mpg with our test equipment and two people on board. However, at 80mph the car could manage only 42.8mpg.

Lower mpg figures mean higher costs for motorists. Assuming the price of diesel is 140.3p a litre, a mile would cost around 12p with our test car, but nearly 15p at 80mph. That’s more than £300 every 12,000 miles.

It would also lead to more frequent fuel stops; the 53-litre tank on our Focus means it can do 600 miles at 70mph, but loses about 100 miles of its range at 80mph.

Drivers would save time going at higher speeds, but only around 10 minutes every 100 miles if the route were clear of traffic.

Formal proposals to increase the speed limit for cars and motorcycles on most stretches of motorway in England and Wales are due to be put forward for public consultation this year, with a view to implement any changes in early 2013.

How the figures compared
Here's how increasing the motorway speed limit from 70mph to 80mph could hit your average economy and CO2 emissions.

Government reasons
Why the Government wants to increase speed limit to 80mph.
• 80mph represents best balance of cost and benefits
• Economic advantages from reduced journey times
• Cars are safer than in 1965, when the 70mph speed limit was implemented
• New UK speed limit would match other EU countries’
• Higher speed limit would mean more ‘legal’ drivers

Our study showed
• Fuel consumption rose by 17% on 1.6-litre diesel Ford Focus
• Focus’s tank range would fall by 100 miles at 80mph
• Running costs up by £300 every 12,000 motorway miles
• CO2 emissions went up by 20% on our test car
• The time saved would be approximately 10 minutes every 100 miles on clear roads

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 22:02 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
However, it might let our car makers look at increasing he power /consumption figures for common cars used on motorways. Mine ,at moment ,has best figures at 60 MPH.But increase the power ,and add a sixth gear and 70-80 becomes a better cruising speed. Then .of course , Mr "anywhere at 40/50/60 " have to be educated/legislated against to stop their attacks on those legitimate motorists from getting maximum MPG ,WITH MINIMAL RISK.
Enter stage right, a BRAKE spokes person to decry any increase in speed with a cry of "dead kittens/ children /cattle" - and we ask ,why would children/ kittens/ cows ( except the old ones in Brake) be present on a UK motorway.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 22:09 
Gold Member
Gold Member

botach wrote:
...and we ask ,why would children/ kittens/ cows ( except the old ones in Brake) be present on a UK motorway.
They wanted to get a Costa at the service station? :D

:coat:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 22:41 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Big Tone wrote:
botach wrote:
...and we ask ,why would children/ kittens/ cows ( except the old ones in Brake) be present on a UK motorway.
They wanted to get a Costa at the service station? :D

:coat:

What, do you think any self respecting card paying member of Broke would be seen Paying FOR A HAMBUGGLER at a service station ???? :?: :?:

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 22:47 
User

whatcar wrote:
Increasing the motorway limit could hit you in the pocket, according to our research

Not if you don't go any faster than you do at the moment if won't.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 23:35 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Zippo wrote:
whatcar wrote:

Where I was looking at would make make motoring cheaper. At the moment, my little oil burner is great up to 60mph, but it's got limited power. Reprogram the map to get the power concentrated at a different rev band, and add an extra gear, and the engine takes care of the torque, hence better economy. At present , most folks drive at around 80 on the motorway. anyway. So it would only be legalising the present day limit.And it might get makers to concentrate on looking at 80 as a motorway speed for economy, ,rather than 70 ,as at present

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 00:31 

It doesn't work like that' I'm afraid. Your little oil burner is likely to do even better to the gallon at a constant 30 (and probably better still at a constant 20), I'm afraid!

Basically, the faster you go, the more energy you use. No amount of fiddling with engine output or gearing will change that. Some years ago, when petrol engines were more common, it was true to say that they were generally most economical at a particular speed - 50-ish, because of the dreadful inefficiency of a petrol engine at part throttle. That's not the case with diesels (and is less the case with current petrol engines than it used to be). Diesels are now so efficient that they're remarkably linear. Beyond about 20 or so, the faster you go, the more fuel you use - end of!

However, that doesn't mean I'm against raising the speed limit. As Zippo says, (and, indeed, the speed enforcement fanatics too!) it's a limit not a target - you don't have to drive at it all the time! So what could make everyone happy? Raise the limit! Those who want economy can drive slower, those who don't can drive faster. We get a nice spread of speeds to aid overtaking and avoid bunching. We get far fewer people driving "at" the limit all the time (allegedly JUST what the scammerati have been wanting all this time! :wink: ) - everyone's a winner!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 08:02 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Zippo wrote:
whatcar wrote:

This is really the point. Virtually nobody will do anything different to what they do now. It's just that it wont' be illegal.

It's all about aligning the reasonable behaviour of the majority with the law.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:43 
User

Mole wrote:
It doesn't work like that' I'm afraid. Your little oil burner is likely to do even better to the gallon at a constant 30 (and probably better still at a constant 20), I'm afraid!

Basically, the faster you go, the more energy you use. No amount of fiddling with engine output or gearing will change that. Some years ago, when petrol engines were more common, it was true to say that they were generally most economical at a particular speed - 50-ish, because of the dreadful inefficiency of a petrol engine at part throttle. That's not the case with diesels (and is less the case with current petrol engines than it used to be). Diesels are now so efficient that they're remarkably linear. Beyond about 20 or so, the faster you go, the more fuel you use - end of!

Indeed..... I seem to recall most current engines are well oversized for motorway cruising as they are sized to acheive the acceleration demands.
Hence why you frequently see even the smallest engined cars twatting along in L3 at 75+, just might have taken a few seconds longer to get there than the jag in front :D

Actually, in theory, a good argument for parallel hybrids, size the engine for cruising where it is most efficient and use the electric motor to boost power for more transient acceleration demands.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:41 
User

Quote:
I seem to recall most current engines are well oversized for motorway cruising as they are sized to acheive the acceleration demands.

It isnt about acceleration, it is about hill climbing ability. Acceleration is just a useful byproduct!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 20:23 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mole wrote:

At 20 - doubt it, as 30 in 5th is difficult to maintain unless a totally flat road . That was my point about increase of power and an extra gear. Increase the power, but use only enough to take advantage of the extra gear. I.E INCREASE EFFICIENCY .
Something that a trip up north seemed to make sense. Last trip I hired an Insignia, 2.0L, 130BHP, six speed From memory, I possibly got a bit more on the wrong side of 70 than usual, but I stopped to refuel in Glasgow at usual place ,and got a pleasant surprise at the pumps. A lot less fuel used .
On some runs home at night ( not something I do regularly ,but done to keep mind occupied and me awake) was to see what conditions/speeds got me best instantaneous MPG. On the flat, lowest throttle setting did that( at times > 199) but hit a hill and it went right down . Even anticipating a hill dropped the figures. I found that a certain speed ( for mine circa 60) ,on a long trip gave me best results.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 23:38 

Instantaneous MPG isn't a good way of doing it because the tiniest change in circumstances (e.g. gust of wind, slight incline, aircon pump cutting it, truck passing...) can make quite a big difference at the instant you look at the readout. I find a better way is to put it on AVERAGE and drive for a mile or so at speed "x". The drive the next mile at speed "y" and see whether the average goes up or down. Obviously, it's not so good if the first mile was uphill and the second downhill, but you can knock it down to half a mile - anything just to damp out the wild fluctuations of the instantaneous reading.

I've been talking to these guys recently about some stuff for work. They use good kit - lab grade, and their methodology is robust - same car, same test track, several runs until statistically meaningful lack of variation can be demonstrated:

http://emissionsanalytics.com/the-impac ... emissions/

The graph is for CO2, but that's almost perfectly directly related to MPG.

As for being in the highest gear, forget it! You can use less fuel in 3rd than 6th. The amount of fuel used is almost linearly (see graphs) related to the amount of work required of the engine. At 20 it's not having to shove much air out of the way to push the car along. Seriously, try it, do even 1/4 mile at 20 on average consumption and then do the same 1/4mile at any speed you like (above 20!) and see what the result is. I was pretty amazed!

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 15:08 
User

malcolmw wrote:
Zippo wrote:
whatcar wrote:

This is really the point. Virtually nobody will do anything different to what they do now. It's just that it wont' be illegal.

It's all about aligning the reasonable behaviour of the majority with the law.

This article would seem to suggest differently. It suggests the increases in speed limits without automated enforcement would result in an increase in deaths and serious injuries. Why would the report it cites come to that conclusion if it though behaviour wouldn't change.

http://www.christianwolmar.co.uk/2011/1 ... mph-limit/

More crashes = more time roads are closed, an increase to 80mph could well mean slower roads, I'd say be careful what you wish for...

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 21:36 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't think the views of someone published in the Guardian and the Independent (and a railway historian - so no conflicts, then) are worth taking seriously.

My views are not based on the opinions of others, just my own.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 21:47 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mole wrote:
Instantaneous MPG isn't a good way of doing it because the tiniest change in circumstances (e.g. gust of wind, slight incline, aircon pump cutting it, truck passing...) can make quite a big difference at the instant you look at the readout. I find a better way is to put it on AVERAGE and drive for a mile or so at speed "x". The drive the next mile at speed "y" and see whether the average goes up or down. Obviously, it's not so good if the first mile was uphill and the second downhill, but you can knock it down to half a mile - anything just to damp out the wild fluctuations of the instantaneous reading.

I've been talking to these guys recently about some stuff for work. They use good kit - lab grade, and their methodology is robust - same car, same test track, several runs until statistically meaningful lack of variation can be demonstrated:

http://emissionsanalytics.com/the-impac ... emissions/

The graph is for CO2, but that's almost perfectly directly related to MPG.

As for being in the highest gear, forget it! You can use less fuel in 3rd than 6th. The amount of fuel used is almost linearly (see graphs) related to the amount of work required of the engine. At 20 it's not having to shove much air out of the way to push the car along. Seriously, try it, do even 1/4 mile at 20 on average consumption and then do the same 1/4mile at any speed you like (above 20!) and see what the result is. I was pretty amazed!

Possibly .But I get ,on most trips circa 50-55 MPG.My average over the last few thousand miles is about 54 , so I'm not looking at getting much more from mine. The reference to upping the power & gearing ,was to up the torque, and lower the revs, hence increasing MPG. But , not on mine - it sits at 70 bhp( or it could have been shoved up yo 100 ,prior to my purchase) , but it's lively.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 23:12 
User

malcolmw wrote:
I don't think the views of someone published in the Guardian and the Independent (and a railway historian - so no conflicts, then) are worth taking seriously.

My views are not based on the opinions of others, just my own.

Wolmar's article is based on a TRL report, the same TRL report Phillip Hammond used to justify his stance on an 80mph limit....

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:18 
User

Why is it that when these reports come out you get blanket statements that are totally misleading?

It is no more correct to say 80mph is unsafe than it is to say that 70mph, or any other speed for that matter, is safe. Speed is a relative thing. What to a novice may be a dangerous speed is not necessarily so to a more experienced driver. The choice of speed must be related to the drivers ability, the type and limitations of the vehicle and the prevailing road and traffic conditions at the time, bearing in mind that the safe speed for any given section of road may vary from minute to minute as circumstances alter.

To drive at higher speeds needs total concentration and an ability to see situations developing before they occur. In my experience this is the thing that is missing on our motorways, many drivers do not seem see anything, or certainly not react until it has happened and this is often too late and what causes panic braking and sudden changes in direction.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 13:24 
Gold Member
Gold Member

There is a letter in the Times today from the usual suspects (Brake etc.) crying about the 80mph limit proposal. Apart from the mass slaughter which that think will result, they quote a classic Ministry of Guesswork £1.5Bn cost for this change which, as noted above, will actually make almost no difference.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 16:23 
User

malcolmw wrote:
There is a letter in the Times today from the usual suspects (Brake etc.) crying about the 80mph limit proposal. Apart from the mass slaughter which that think will result, they quote a classic Ministry of Guesswork £1.5Bn cost for this change which, as noted above, will actually make almost no difference.

Did you read the article based on TRL report, probable slower movement at rush hours, more fatalities and serious accidents and the whole thing is controlled with speed monitoring which needs to be in place to mitigate even worse crash statistics.

I tell you, be careful what you wish for!

Just like the M4 bus lane removal, which actually has had a negative effect on the journey time for cars, and now the whole road carries less people down it per hour than it did before, because the bus lane actually helped smooth traffic flow.