Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 22:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 23:43 
Site Admin

I have never driven a bus, driven many other vehicles but not a bus.
All sorts of aspects make controlling another vehicle very different from the usual one that we know.
I'd like it that all sorts of road vehicles were available for everyone to experience if they so chose. :lol:
But it isn't really 'necessary' if people have good safe behaviours on the road, however I do wonder if there are exceptions where some people cannot fully appreciate why others behave how they do and in fact for them feeling that experience will help them see how it feels to control other vehicles first hand.
Might this be, because people are less trusting of others intentions, and assume others are behaving selfishly and irrationally?
If more motorists tried to appreciate, sympathise, compensate for, giving space and time while the other motorists tries their best to deal with whatever it is that they are trying to do. Giving tolerance by patience and courtesy is far better than winding others up, getting in peoples way or even deliberately obstructing or antagonising others.
If people are noticing others selfish behaviours, are they so whiter than white, or might their own behaviours be as bad ?

This bus driver had a massive responsibility to all the other people who were his passengers, he has to have a very good spatial awareness as buses (as do lorries) need wide turning circles and lots of extra space and room to travel safely. It crossed every line of responsible and safe control of a vehicle & even more so of a public transport vehicle, to think of and then execute that manoeuvre.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:35 
User

search & replace "motorists" for "road users" perhaps ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 13:50 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ed_m wrote:
search & replace "motorists" for "road users" perhaps ?

Ah! That's what I meant earlier by the use of titles ed.

Yes, for the purpose of this discussion we need these labels to clearly identify to whom we refer. I was just concerned that what I happen to use 'on the day' doesn't define me as a person. I could quite easily be an idiot in a bus, car, on a bike or just walking to the shops. We should blame the idiot rather than tar a whole group. (Memories of the 70's where we were kicked out of a pub for just being a biker). :x

That's why, although I'm a cyclist too, I'm trying to look at what they did as opposed to favouring or disin' one or the other on their chosen mode of transport. (More memories of my woman friend once shouting at another woman driver through open windows "it's women like you that give women like me a bad name!")

Good on ya Mary :D

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 19:45 
User

I can't help thinking the RSPCA would have something to say about Dusty abusing a cat....! :neko: :whip: :shock:

I always wondered what those smileys were for! :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 21:16 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Ernest Marsh wrote:
I can't help thinking the RSPCA would have something to say about Dusty abusing a cat....! :neko: :whip: :shock:

I always wondered what those smileys were for! :)

Great minds think alike ,or no . I wondered if Dusty meant CAT ( as on car ) ,and why he'd risk damage to an item worth a lot of money ,or an animal, bringing down the wrath of the nation, on someone who thought it would be a good idea to punish someone with this animal . I mean,put one in bin ,you risk jail sentence .And after all ,it it was a tom, they stink worse than a skunk :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 23:45 
Site Admin

Isn't the application of a CAT in the exhaust enough of a punishment!? ;)

Perhaps in time we will see the cyclist face charges ... I do hope that he has a speedy recovery though and is OK.

I also hope that the bus driver is OK. I dare say he will spend many hours, reflecting over what possibly came over him to do such a thing? Loosing your freedom is so very serious.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 00:29 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
I also hope that the bus driver is OK. I dare say he will spend many hours, reflecting over what possibly came over him to do such a thing? Loosing your freedom is so very serious.
He's probably too busy worrying about being locked up with Big Botty Bubba and some left over goose fat from lunch. :D

No, I'm kinda hoping he gets off serving much less after all this dialogue. He's lost his job and will surely struggle to get another at all with the record and stigma.

His sentence won't end when he comes out, probably not for a very long time. So if anyone wants him to suffer long term they will get their wishes...

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 01:45 
Site Admin

If he wants to still drive buses or something like it he might be best to start his own private business.
I agree he will really continue to feel it for the rest of his life. Every job application every money request etc., etc., etc ...
The true tragedy is that if road safety was being taken seriously by those in Authority, then perhaps better messages of encouragement to show courtesy and more 'give and take' would have helped prevent such a situation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6