Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 20:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Snow chaos rant!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:55 

I once had to drive down this hill in a mark 1 XR2 when it was covered in hard pack snow.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Ironbri ... 4,,0,30.78

The only way I managed it succesfully (try to stop staionary on it was impossible) was to try and let it roll forward very slowly using the footbrake whilst leaving it in reverse with the clutch dipped and when it started getting too fast going downhill (if the wheels lost traction) was to gently let the clutch out in reverse, to try and compensate for the forward motion by going backwards. It worked but was a scary few minutes. (it's a long, narrow hill which doesn't change in gradient, usually has a few cars parked on it and runs onto a busy road at the bottom...not something to go careering out of control down.)

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 17:06 

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Driving home from Staveley to Windermere last night was an arduous task of around an hour and fifteen minutes! It should take about 6 to 10 minutes!! :shock:

I had no problem with my 6 to 10 min drive.

I simply pulled on my hiking boots and walked it. :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 20:04 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Dusty wrote:
Quote:
One thing I would point out, is that if the wheel arch is full of snow, it pays to rake it out first!

One car I had ( ancient Vauxhall Victor FD ) and it was RWD ,loved to have whhel arches brim full- extra weight got the power well down on the rear wheels - with 2000 cc in the front ,and a lot of chug ,it was more like a tractor in the snow . Especially if you treated the power with respect . Mind you ,I had extra wide wheels on the rear ,and a lot of experienxe of unsalted /untreated roads .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 20:15 

Last year I was driving a very well laden RWD Vauxhall Omega Estate. I sailed up every hill and never got close to getting stuck once and it gripped the road on hard pack excellently despite having wideish tyres on. I don't think I will be saying the same this year in a FWD Passat Estate, which suffers wheel spin on any incline in the damp.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 20:34 
User

Homer wrote:
Ernest Marsh wrote:
Driving home from Staveley to Windermere last night was an arduous task of around an hour and fifteen minutes! It should take about 6 to 10 minutes!! :shock:

I had no problem with my 6 to 10 min drive.

I simply pulled on my hiking boots and walked it. :D

I have no problem walking - although I have been cycling it since April 1st 2010! It just so happened that I had tools to carry to work that day - and it started snowing mid afternoon!
If it is light, you can enjoy the scenery.... I work in the distance - it's a steady climb to the top of Bannerigg...

...then down into the dip to do it again

Home sweet home....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 22:21 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Looking at that last pic- if that's a yearly event,ever considered a horse Earnest . Gret for the garden ,good fro the lawn ,and never show up on ANPR . :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 22:40 
Life Member
Life Member

Bought a couple of sets of snow socks for Jackie's BMW last year and though I did not need them in the recent snow thought I would try them out.

Could not get the things on, the gap between the wheel and arch was too small to get my hands in to hook them over the back of the tyre.

Poo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 19:07 
User

I had no problem driving in the snow, we had none on the West Cumbria coast. :clap:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 20:49 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
One thing I would point out, is that if the wheel arch is full of snow, it pays to rake it out first!

The last RWD car I had was a Vauxhall FD. 2L of sheer power,with oversized tyres . I watched as snow built up under the rear arches and when we went out, it sat on the road, and held the road, bit heavy ,but no obvious problems . No problems cornering, or getting up hills . I even towed a couple of folks out of problems .Possibly that today's problems in snow, not understanding the problems. More a lack of education .Seems that we're seeing a lot more problems from lack of education than any thing else . Is ,perhaps the driver training program failing drivers in training? ,or is it the rush to get trainees past the test . I see more and more drivers ,in snow ,thinking that more power means more grip .Another thing I see is when a snowflake falls there is a tendency to go even slower . No one has seen fit to tell them that there's an optimum speed for the conditions( perhaps a SAFESPEED) ,that will let them progress safely. I've even had my daughter ( a feisty young lass ,with a lot of driving ability), ask me to take her places in snow. She's a product of the driving school age. I was never taught to drive on snow, or even on a skid pan, but my uncle drummed the theory into me ,and first time I had a skid ( 180 ,both ways) I kept my cool and drew on my training. Perhaps ,my uncle Jack was up above guiding me . But even in my dotage,I feel comfortable driving in winter. It's all about control and precision ,and the confidence to correct any problems . Something that perhaps COAST teaches us. Possibly something never taught to learners is that the two pedals on the extreme outside ( brake & throttle) should be treated with respect in bad weather .