Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 22:26 
User

:gatso2: FRom the BBC Northern Ireland News.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15723367
(edited by Admin to quote the article.)
BBC News NI wrote:
14 November 2011
Edwin Poots launches car smoking ban consultation
Research shows that 15% of adults smoke in their cars when children are present Health Minister Edwin Poots has said he will consider banning smoking in all cars and not just those with children as passengers.

Mr Poots was speaking on an assembly motion proposing a ban on smoking in cars carrying those under 16.
He said children are particularly vulnerable to the effects of smoking.
Mr Poots said his department will launch a public consultation and he urged everyone with an interest on the issue to respond to the consultation.
He said he was prepared to ban smoking in all private cars although he was aware some people would see this as a "step too far".
The minister said he had asked officials in early September to work on an action plan for implementing legislation.

Mr Poots said: "Smoking is the single greatest cause of preventable illness and premature death in Northern Ireland. Each year approximately 2,300 people die from smoking-related illnesses.
"Passive smoking is a health issue which I take very seriously, particularly when those affected by it are children, who are more vulnerable to second-hand smoke as they breathe more rapidly and inhale more pollutants per pound of body weight than adults."

Mr Poots told MLAs that research had shown that 15% of adults smoke in their cars when children are present.
"It also indicates that smoking in a car exposes children to levels of smoke which compare to levels found in bars before smoke-free legislation was introduced," he said.

Hospital visits
During the debate on the motion, the Sinn Fein's Michaela Boyle said the Department of Health in Northern Ireland spends over £119m each year treating patients with smoke-related illnesses.

The DUP's Jim Wells also said statistics from the Ulster Cancer Foundation showed 300,000 children throughout the UK are being referred to a GP every year as a result of tobacco smoke inhalation.
He said 9,500 of these cases led to hospital visits.
Mr Wells also added that second-hand smoke in cars can be as high as ten times the concentration considered unhealthy by the American Environmental Protection Agency.

Kieran McCarthy of the Alliance Party said figures from Action Cancer revealed that 13,500 children in Northern Ireland are at risk from passive smoke.
Health committee chairperson Michelle Gildernew said a renewed public campaign on the dangers of passive smoking was needed although she felt there would be a difficulty in policing any legislation on the issue.

Enclosed spaces
Earlier, Gerry McElwee of the Ulster Cancer Foundation called for young people to be protected from second-hand smoke.
"Enclosed spaces within a car mean the smoke is much more concentrated," he said.
"There are 400 chemicals in tobacco smoke, up to 60 are carcinogenic and the measurements you find in a car are up to 10 times the level you would describe as unhealthy."

Dr James Cant, head of the British Lung Foundation, Scotland and Northern Ireland said: "We find this development highly encouraging.
"Stormont would be ahead of the curve on this issue if it were to take action to protect children from passive smoke when they are in the car."

Simon Clark, director of the smokers' lobby group Forest, said: "We don't condone people smoking in cars with children present. It's inconsiderate, certainly, but the evidence doesn't support the argument that smoking in cars is a serious health risk to children.
"Legislation is a gross over-reaction. What next, a ban on smoking in the home?"

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 23:18 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Potty said
Quote:
"Passive smoking is a health issue which I take very seriously, particularly when those affected by it are children, who are more vulnerable to second-hand smoke as they breathe more rapidly and inhale more pollutants per pound of body weight than adults."

So - what's being done to make all the old busses quit ,then :roll:
Fenian said
Quote:
During the debate on the motion, the Sinn Fein's Michaela Boyle said the Department of Health in Northern Ireland spends over £119m each year treating patients with smoke-related illnesses.

How the converted ( from killing to curing) love to stop folks enjoying themselves .My ancestors would be turning in their grave to see this lot involved in the Gov't of this country .
An then a DUP(ED) spokesperson said
Quote:
statistics from the Ulster Cancer Foundation showed 300,000 children throughout the UK are being referred to a GP every year as a result of tobacco smoke inhalation.

And how many from bus smoke problems :?:

And again Mcwee said
Quote:
There are 400 chemicals in tobacco smoke, up to 60 are carcinogenic

Again how many on bus fumes :?:
Smokers group says
Quote:
"Legislation is a gross over-reaction. What next, a ban on smoking in the home?"

Why not an IQ test for politicians .Pity Forrest didn't invoke the HR act .I don't seem to matter if they're in the minority -it seems to help ( unless it's something authority wants to be seen to be acting on )( in our interest ,of course :wink: :roll: )

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 01:37 
User

botach wrote:
And how many from bus smoke problems :?:

None at all, buses don't smoke :D ..... everybody knows how green & healthy public transport is ... don't they??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7BMVyVXZj0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP9ppRbcoQo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=CAsARY9HKvo&feature=fvwp

And so are trains green n clean ......they don't smoke either ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOj6gPwkiXg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=qvOzcP_BTt0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9MLEw_Qw80&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeLmpMCcleU&feature=related

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 02:09 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Zippo wrote:

Ever stood on the sidelines when one of Mr Branstons finest Diesel Pendilonas takes off, giving out more smoke than an old country bus . :?: :?:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:51 
User

botach wrote:
Zippo wrote:

Ever stood on the sidelines when one of Mr Branstons finest Diesel Pendilonas takes off, giving out more smoke than an old country bus . :?: :?:

They should make them run on electricity... no smoke without fire as they say!

However, just follow the cabling back to the generating station, and see how much smoke is produced there!
Of course you might have difficulty following the cabling if pikeys have nicked the bit in the middle!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 16:44 
User

BBC Northern Ireland wrote:
Mr Poots said his department will launch a public consultation and he urged everyone with an interest on the issue to respond to the consultation.

The minister said he had asked officials in early September to work on an action plan for implementing legislation.

There is no consultation, even if there is, no notice will be taken if the outcome if it is not the "required" one. Mr Poots has already decided to implement the legislation, either that or he is wasting public money getting officials do do work without knowing if it will ever be required.

Another .... we don't care what you think, we'll tell you what to think, just do as your told, shut up, keep paying the taxes, there's a good drone.

BTW .. it's official .. traffic fumes are good for you ..... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2059839/Car-fumes-mild-narcotic-help-cope-city-stress-claims-scientist.html :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 17:20 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ernest Marsh wrote:
However, just follow the cabling back to the generating station, and see how much smoke is produced there!
Of course you might have difficulty following the cabling if pikeys have nicked the bit in the middle!

O/T ,but there was smoke and fire in the cabling a while back -sacked employee hit the system where it hurt -in the relay rooms .
And in my neck of woods there was pikey smoke -they tried to nick a length of the 650v AC signalling supply cable and on the menu was toasted pikelet . :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 18:33 
Supporter
Supporter

Of course if smoking is banned the lost revenue will have to me made up somehow. Perhaps by a tax on road vehicle fuel?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 20:11 
User

Quote:
on the menu was toasted pikelet .

I like toasted pikelets!

(The ones you eat with butter and quince jelly that is! Not the ones you eat with apple sauce! :D )

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:40 
User

I see Doctors have got their oar in now .... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2061999/Doctors-smoking-cars-outlawed.html

I wonder if those are the same kind of doctors that willingly prescribe drugs which end up killing more people than RTA's ?? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2038826/Drugs-killing-people-cars-More-deaths-tied-prescription-drug-overdoses-auto-crashes.html

I'm led to believe that nice doctor prescribed prescription drugs now rival illegal drugs bought from a shady guy on a street corner with gawd knows what ingredients, in number of deaths caused :shock: Nice going Docs .... keep up the good work ... don't hear ya all callin for a ban on prescription drugs there?

If this goes through, basically the govt now owns your car as it will be able to stop you from carrying out a perfectly legal activity in it ... oh ... and I daresay it will also be yet another nice lil earner, with full support from the hordes of mindless drones.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 15:22 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Also on teletext ,so might find some link on BBC .Now IMHO -it might have worked with bumbling brown and his shower of control freaks ,but suspect the medical profession has been shut in it's ivory tower and hasn't heard of a change of Government .Anyway ,if you've got laws to stop this & that you need the means & inclination to enforce them .Looking at the number of vans /company cars with smokers ,I'd say except in Loony Labour land it doesn't exist .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 17:10 
User

Quote:
As the British Medical Association called for a ban on smoking in cars, experts said the windows on cars like the 1998 Ford Focus or some grubby little Astra went right the way down into the door.

Dr Bill McKay, a GP from Peterborough, said: "Are you absolutely sure? Well, I'm afraid that if poor people's cars can do the same things as our cars then we are going to need more money.

"I'd like a car where the windows dissolve into thin air whenever you don't want them and then magically reconstitute themselves as soon as you say the word 'windows'. Can Jaguar do that?"

He added: "In the meantime we do need to ban poor people from opening their car windows so that they understand how important it is not to smoke in cars."

Helen Archer, a mother of three from Stevenage, backed the BMA, adding: "If I smoked then my kids would be in the most terrible danger for the three minutes it takes us to drive to school or McDonalds.

"And it's bad enough watching a fat kid heave himself out the back of an Audi without him then coughing his lungs over everybody's bacon double-cheeseburgers."

Smoker, Tom Logan, said: "I don't have kids and in the interests of my health I don't allow kids in my car.

"And if an adult is sitting in the passenger seat when I light up they can either open the window - because my car is one of the ones that does that - or they can get the fucking bus.

"Because it's my car. D'you see?"

Mash

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 07:40 
User

I think it should just be banned on safety grounds, for drivers.

I watched a person once reach across into the passenger footwell, fiddle around in a bag for a pack of fags one hand propping the wheel correcting the course with sharp jerks, lean elbows on wheel to unwrap packet and light cigarette, and then change gear with left hand whilst holding fag in right, no hand on wheel or just resting on wheel, all at 70mph on a busy motorway. I don't think it would've taken much of an adverse situation to case major issues, they clearly weren't in proper control of the vehicle (despite being perfectly OK driver without the distraction of the fag).

Frankly, it's a pretty sure bet driver with a lit fag in a car has done something stupid to light it and that's before you start on their ability to control the car with a burning stick in their hand.

Happily see it banned tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 08:19 
User

Research shows that 100% of accidents involving vehicles are caused by one, or more, moving.
Following from this ground-breaking research, the government has decided to legislate to prevent vehicles moving.
Drivers, and passengers, and potential accident victims, will still be free to sit in their vehicles, or buses, or planes/boats/trains, but the vehicles will not be permitted to move.
Due to the need to continue to obtain fuel tax revenue the engines will still need to be running, so full-face active respiratory protection would be needed.

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:23 
User

Of course, this is how "Safety legislation" takes over the world.

First the "Bansturbators" pick on something that seems obviously dangerous and ban it (In the interests of public safety)

I dont know when this point was achieved in the history of Motoring, probabally with the introduction of the breathalyser laws.

(The point being that with the breathalyser it was no longer nececarry to "Prove" that the driver was infact incapable due to drink, it allowd the authorities to simply assume that if he was over the "Limit" he was)

Later we have more "Obvious "dangerous behaviour, using mobile phones, eating apples, drinking coke.....and so on all being "Banned" by rules that no longer required the authorities to "prove" that the driver was driving carelessly or dangerously, the mere fact that you were "Caught in the act" is taken as proof on its own without any further effort on the part of the police required.

It was inevitable that smoking was going to be the next target I am surprised it wasnt one one of the earlier ones! After all, not only is there a "Driver distraction" issue, there is also ignition hazard (especially in the aftermath of any accident) and the icing on the cake is surely the "Think of the Children" aspect!

I wonder what they will try to ban next In the interests of public safety of course, (If it saves only one life and all that crap)

Talking to pasangers (distration) Heaters limited to 18c (any warmer and people might fall asleap) car radios/audio systems (significant driver distraction!, they arent like the old fashioned push button radiomobile any more)

I reaally dont know what "Threat to civilisation" they will target next, the only thing I know for certain is that if this ban goes through they will soon have some other issue in their sights since this is there entire purpose in life and they will not give it up easily!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:50 
User

I am all for personal freedom and the ability to determine what is safe for oneself. Obviously there are notable exceptions - but if you are not hurting anyone else, then what is the problem? Banning people from exercising free will and smoking in their own cars is ridiculous. I do not smoke, but at the same time, I would not mind in pubs and clubs if there was a smoking section. Banning it from cars is a step too far. What next, houses? Patrols knocking down the doors to check that no one is lighting up in their own homes?

There is an underground shisha den in London that is more like a crackden. You knock on a big iron door and a viewing panel slides back like something out of Hollywood. Two eyes appear and after considering you very carefully for a second or two, the door is opened. All to smoke perfectly legal shisha. Why it is illegal to smoke shisha inside when everyone in there has gone there for, primarily, one reason and one reason alone, to smoke shisha, I do not know. Sad state of affairs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 13:39 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dusty said

Quote:
First the "Bansturbators" pick on something that seems obviously dangerous and ban it (In the interests of public safety)

And by looking for someone doing that act combine with something more foolhardy ,they get the evience to get support .( as in a post or two above Dusty's :shock: )( I would ask the posterwhat relationship there is between the two ,but I doubt I'd get a sensible asnwer ,asin the past)

Strange that we don't see a clamour on HSE grounds for the banning of mobiles/ipods whilst riding a bicycle or by pedestrians walking along the pavement .OH-NO, it ONLY becomes a safety hazard when four wheels and an engine are involved .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 17:13 
Gold Member
Gold Member

botach wrote:
Zippo wrote:

Ernest Marsh wrote:
..just follow the cabling back to the generating station, and see how much smoke is produced there!

:bighand:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 20:40 
Supporter
Supporter

botach wrote:
Strange that we don't see a clamour on HSE grounds for the banning of mobiles/ipods whilst riding a bicycle or by pedestrians walking along the pavement .OH-NO, it ONLY becomes a safety hazard when four wheels and an engine are involved .

Or, as weepje might phrase it, when two tons of metal moving at 60mph are involved.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 20:47 
Gold Member
Gold Member

dcbwhaley wrote:
botach wrote:

Or, as weepje might phrase it, when two tons of metal moving at 60mph are involved.

Or when a twelve stone bloke carves up an ol lady at 20mph .Work out the colision force on that .The ol lady has no protection from these idiots.At least motorists will conddemn irresponsible motoring .How come every time someone mentions motoring accidents it's ALWAYS at high speed .How very emotive -or is that the desired effect -like "think of the children".