Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Babies and motorcycles
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 09:36 
User

I was just wondering if it is legally acceptable to strap a baby to the back of a motorbike? It is certainly something I cannot recall ever seeing.

If it isnt, why is it acceptable to strap one on the back of a pedel cycle??

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:49 
User

No that is illegal. To carry a pillion passanger they must be able to reach the rear pegs and also hold on, or something similar I believe. Get caught with a baby bungeed to the back of your bike and I think the old bill will make an example of you, you will end up on those cop camera shows as a dangerous idiot and children's groups will view you as some sort of child abuser.

Why? Because motorcycles are dangerous and they go a lot faster than pushbikes. I am not entirely sure it is even legal to carry a kid on a pushbike. Someone got done for that the other day but it may have been due to not having the proper seat.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 13:35 
User

The answer is of course to get a side car or cycle trailer.

They are hardly any safer - depending on the sort of accident you get involved in - but perfectly legal. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 17:16 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Who cares about safety as long as you are complying with the law. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 19:43 
User

malcolmw wrote:
Who cares about safety as long as you are complying with the law. :)

Ambulance chasing lawyers? :whome:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 17:57 
User

Ooooh!

I have a collection of photo's from the Philippines that would make the safety nazis throw fits!

Most of the population use some variation of a Honda C90 or CG125 as family transport. Mum holding the twin babies, sat in between Dad and eldest kiddie, with Granny perched on the handlebars.

The strangest thing is that they introduced a helmet law in 2010 that only applies to the driver of the vehicle! I choose to pay a "reduced" fine on the spot rather than the full amount, which is actually more than it is for the same "offence" in the UK.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 20:42 
Gold Member
Gold Member

What about someone less than nine months on pillion? I took my wife to Cornwall in a such a pregnant state 28 years ago.

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 21:16 
Supporter
Supporter

Big Tone wrote:
What about someone less than nine months on pillion? I took my wife to Cornwall in a such a pregnant state 28 years ago.

Yes my mum used to take me out on her push bike before I was born :D

Seriously. It is only legal to carry a infant on a pedal cycle in a properly constructed child seat. Presumably it is the same for motor cicles. Surely someone makes child seats for them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 22:21 
User

I am pretty sure they don't.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 22:32 
User

Quote:
Presumably it is the same for motor cycles. Surely someone makes child seats for them.

I cannot ever recall seeing one. I am presuming that their apparant absence is down to the fact that they may not be legally premitted. assuming that they are not, I am puzzled that they are permitted for pedel cycles? I am sure that the risks (Per vehicle mile, say) for an infant passanger are comparrable between the two.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 08:22 
Supporter
Supporter

Dusty wrote:
I am sure that the risks (Per vehicle mile, say) for an infant passanger are comparrable between the two.

The rate for pedal cycles is very low which presumably is why they are permitted.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 13:16 
User

There is also the fact that being strapped to a motorcycle is the last place you want to be in the advent of an accident. If things go pear shaped and you end up shiny side down, I was always taught to push away from the bike and never to hold on. 170kgs+ of bike toppling, flipping and cartwheeling with a child strapped in a seat on the back of would potentially make for a lot of emergency service personnel with PTSD I would have thought. So I am glad that is illegal, though I am surprised the government allows children on the back of bikes at all, even when they can reach the pegs/hang on. I imagine Brake would love to stop this. They criticised parents for buying bikes for their kids recently, including Jordan I believe. I remember both going on the back of bikes and owning them as a child and it began a life-long love affair with two wheelers. Provided a child can hang on and reach the foot pegs then it's all good imho.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 17:23 
User

Maaarrghk! wrote:
Ooooh!

I have a collection of photo's from the Philippines that would make the safety nazis throw fits!

Me too, from India, entire families on motorbikes, that's boy or girl on the handlebars, father in the saddle, mother with child behind him and another child on the back.

I also visited a friend who came off his bike and took quite a lot of skin off his leg, they had a whole wing devoted to motorcycle injuries (mostly bad grazes or missing skin as nobody goes that fast), there were all sorts there with various injuries, from babies to 70 year old blokes.

Last edited by weepej on Sun Sep 18, 2011 18:18, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 17:39 
Gold Member
Gold Member

You should have seen Top Gear today, the one where they are in Vietnam :shock: Kinda looked nice and free though; free to join the Darwin Award list :lol:

They are dressed like they just got out of bed and decided to jump on the motorbike to carry back some furniture. At one point there was an official standing on the front of a train, on the bumper bit, hanging on with one hand. :o

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 18:17 
User

Big Tone wrote:
At one point there was an official standing on the front of a train, on the bumper bit, hanging on with one hand. :o

Gah, if we didn't have those health and safety Nazis we could do that over here!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 20:29 
Gold Member
Gold Member

weepej wrote:
Big Tone wrote:
At one point there was an official standing on the front of a train, on the bumper bit, hanging on with one hand. :o

Gah, if we didn't have those health and safety Nazis we could do that over here!

One has to put these things into their true perspective.

I personally believe there is such thing as too much and too little State intervention. If you asked 100 different questions to 100 people on 100 issues you will probably not get two from it whom agree on everything. That’s just life and human nature.

But the majority needs to agree with most things, a democracy if you will, and in the absence of a better system we'd best just run with it for now I guess...

It's not bad and it's why I have disagreed with you, you have disagreed with me/us on a certain topic, and we can all forcefully air our views here on SS without the censorship or intolerance other places have, or the vulgar ones where there are no boundaries. (Horrible).

I always assumed that's why you like it here weepej and come back for more and why I personally like you here. You have your opinion, I have mine – and never the twain shall meet. But I want to hear it from you nonetheless. We don't always all have to agree. I would be suspicious of any forum where everyone always did TBH...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 14:28 
New User
New User

weepej wrote:
Big Tone wrote:

The policy makers do go too far sometimes that's for sure!! It's all in the name of mortality where motorbikes and the like are concerned but it is very much like they're pooping the party a lot of the time!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 20:05 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Big Tone wrote:

One program I saw showed folks in ( South Africa ,I think,) sitting onthe roof of trains.
Only problem is that like here tey have electrification in place .( safety recomendation is 9ft clearance ).But then you wouldn't see burn marks on them :twisted: