The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 09:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 13:04 
Site Admin

received email notification of :
Quote:
I have posted an E-petition on the 10 Downing Street website calling
for ALL marked fixed positioned speed cameras to be scrapped.
You can view the petition in full here:
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/scrapgatsos/

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 18:57 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

So few signatures in so many weeks? Only about 2 sigs every 3 days.

Howcome?

Who is this chap Hill?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 04:29 
Site Admin

No idea I've hoped he might contact us - but there is little publicity for it ...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 14:44 
User

Well, if you don't sign, you don't get. So I signed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 23:18 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
My view is be carefull what you wish for .

OK - scrap fixed Gatso's - GREAT .

BUT -what do we get in their place - more mobile scams ,hidden behind trees/walls etc .
Till we can get rid of every money maker , would be wise to be carefull what we petition for.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 03:16 
Site Admin

I would much rather see a scrap ALL cameras for sure, but I think this may have a chance to show how people feel about cameras.

I understand the feeling toward, the static camera - what we know and the chance of 1000's of moving cameras, where no prior knowledge is known. Frankly the new cameras are small and wireless, but it is the fundamental policies that need to be changed and each step can count. All cameras have no place on UK roads all are distracting, and encourage the wrong driver behaviours.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 21:43 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
I would much rather see a scrap ALL cameras for sure, but I think this may have a chance to show how people feel about cameras.

And given the reported state of Gordo's eyesight - do you think he'll be able to see that we are against them . :( :( .And if he cares, (knowing that his chances of winning the next election are nil ,why should he care --he can always blame road problems on the Tories removal of cameras )

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 00:01 
Site Admin

I would like to think that he is worried, and the ongoing pressure from Safe Speed has to be of concern.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 08:20 
User

They should offer a scrappage scheme - £2000 towards road safety to every council which stops funding one camera! :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:44 
User

MY personal opinion is that no petition will ever remove these cash generators. Our Council receives requests for speed humps from maybe 100/200 folks and they are installed ASAP but when a petition for their removal by 9,000 is received they reject it. This I am led to beleive, is what they call democracy. They will still vote for this corrupt Government but hopefully many others will see common sense. (I have signed the petition) OLLIE

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 20:47 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ollie wrote:
MY personal opinion is that no petition will ever remove these cash generators. Our Council receives requests for speed humps from maybe 100/200 folks and they are installed ASAP but when a petition for their removal by 9,000 is received they reject it. This I am led to beleive, is what they call democracy. OLLIE

Two points -Ollie -though ,sadly I agree with you -
1) Could this be the British version of losing face ,and thinking that one back down will lead to another .
OR
2) The funding for installation coming from the road safety improvement pot ,but the removal funds ( perhaps ) having to be found from the road maintenance program .
Reason for no 2 -locally a few years ago when the country was going chicane crazy ,( and the funds coming from EEC), a chicane was put on an road such that a resident had problems accessing/exiting their property .Eventuallt the case got to our local MP and it was removed with screams from County about the cost .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 21:01 
New User
New User

It does seem to be though that a far more effective method to get rid of speed cameras would be to not speed? But while people still speed there will be almost no chance of getting rid of speed cameras. Because when I look at it almost everyone who I know who complains about speed cameras regularly speeds...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 21:14 
Gold Member
Gold Member

brab wrote:
It does seem to be though that a far more effective method to get rid of speed cameras would be to not speed? But while people still speed there will be almost no chance of getting rid of speed cameras. Because when I look at it almost everyone who I know who complains about speed cameras regularly speeds...

Firstly ,BRAB - :welcome:
and that would seem to be a logical solution , if it were all about road safety ( says me listening out for GS,os he in ihis pitmansboots today?),BUT all that would then happen to perpretrate the myth would be for them to lower the limit . Have a good read ( of the material our founder wrote) ,especially about RTTM ,and like us you'll possibly come to the conclusion that a garden gnome would provide a safer solution .
The real solution is EDUCATION -so that we all( can judge how to ) drive at a speed safe for the conditions instead of considering that anything under the limit is safe ,no matter the conditions .

EDIT -noticed I'd not signed it -done .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 22:13 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

brab wrote:

Hi Brab.

If only it was as simple as that. In an ideal world, what you say would come to pass - limits would have been set to differentiate dangerous drivers from the safe and considerate. Unfortunately there are a few who con$pire to keep it far from ideal.

For example, it is well known that the great majority (>80%) of motorway drivers want to see the motorway limits increased, and that most generally choose to ignore that limit - yes that's right: the majority of motorway drivers admit to 'regularly speeding'..... in relative safety I might add (motorways are the safest road for any given journey, even with their highest limits and least level of compliance of them).
It is obvious many limits such as those aren't set appropriately. The authorities respond by continuing to reducing them and clamping down on the non-compliance of them - this is enforcement for the sake of it.
This leads to negative behaviours, such as:
- fatigue (accounts for about 25% of all fatalities on such roads [more % than exceeding the speed limit]),
- disrespect for law (devalues speed limits in general),
- erosion of the skill of being able to judge a safe speed,
- displacement of traffic to less safe roads (like I said, motorways are the safest).
Right now, a great way to stop 'speeding' is to set limits to end the needless criminalisation of safe and considerate drivers.

Those who stand to benefit from keeping these limits needlessly low (SCPs et al) are happy to misrepresent the effects of speed, with tricks such as the gross exaggeration of the effectiveness of speed cameras (RTTM), while completely dismissing the other factors described. It is a sad fact that limits would still be reduced (even quicker than they already are) even if folks were 100% compliant. Today, everyone is being caught out, even my speed-averse mum.

Cameras are a very poor method of enforcement (click for side effects). All they do is gather evidence of one bad proxy of one behaviour, which is useless if the offender is illegal in other ways (circumventing identification). This campaign calls for a return to intelligent policing, meaning proper traffic police!
Police detect all forms of inconsiderate and dangerous driving, puts an immediate end to them, prevents circumvention of identification, and best of all - takes into account mitigating and aggravating factors. Unlike the SCPs, police need public support to function, they're not nearly so willing to screw us for a quick buck.
Cameras needlessly criminalize the safe and considerate, while allowing the dangerous and inconsiderate to continue unchecked.
It has been stated by the government that the intention of cameras are to replace trafpol. That’s not good is it!

We don't want anarchy, we actually want the same thing as everyone else (including yourself I hope): to remove the dangerous and inconsiderate idiots from our roads, but we’re not getting this – the speed camera policy allows idiotic road users to bloom!

I will end with this: this campaign supports the use of speed limits, as well as the enforcement of them when exceeding them causes danger.
We have good reason to reject the current policies used (to try to, yet have failed) to achieve this.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 00:29 
Gold Member
Gold Member

brab - something to think about .

This winter - we had a lot of side streets covered with snow , and very tricky to navigate . a lot of these were :20: limits . But ,could you drive safely down these streets at :20:-very doughtful - so you chose to drive at a speed for the conditions - i.e ---a safe speed -one where you felt you could stop if a kiddie ran out , or some pillock decided to pull out .If so - congrats - you're on the way to understanding the message .You chose to drive so that you could stop in a safe distance - in other words you drove at a safe speed.Now translate that to normal day driving - where all drivers drive at a set distance where they can stop safely . Add in a bit of observation ,and the distances srart to reduce - because of anticipation .nd if you concentrate - you can see further ahead ,and spot potential problems .
The art of driving is to recogniuse potential problems and react to them so as not to cause a major change in driver reaction .It's something that should be encouraged ,yet successive governments have ignored .I was taught safety as being my duty to prevent any person around faling into a safety trap -I am my safety officer , and those around are secondary safety officers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 21:44 
New User
New User

I gotta agree with Steve; the government should most definately be focusing more on education about speed (which they are doing in schools now), and also that people always "speed" on the motorway (inverted commas were necessary, as almost everyone is sensible enough to travel faster, there are just a few loonies who insist on going at 120). Just a thought, but it may possible be an idea to add suggestions to the petition of what the government could do, as it may mean that the petition would be more likely to be looked at :-).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:37 
User

botach wrote:
so you chose to drive at a speed for the conditions

I can tell you, a lot of the people going down my street when it was covered in ice were doing no such thing.

I was actually wondering if it was criminally negligent to actually move a car at all on such a surface.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 21:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

weepej wrote:
botach wrote:
so you chose to drive at a speed for the conditions

I can tell you, a lot of the people going down my street when it was covered in ice were doing no such thing.

I was actually wondering if it was criminally negligent to actually move a car at all on such a surface.
Then ,weepy -if YOU gave us the courtesy of listening to what we say ,or even reading it - you might begin to understand one of the tenets of road safety - or even life itself - never move faster than you have the capicity to stop,in the distance you percieve clear of hazards .
And IF YOU WANT TO QUOTE ME - THEN DO SO IN FULL - not in fits and starts , .
But that won't happen ,like you answering those queations you chose to ignore -again ,just like our well known Cap Pugwash.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 19:21 
User

NOT a good idea scrapping all static cameras.. I know of a site in Cleveland that was not getting many speeders but was doing its job on a site which was an accident blackspot (crossroads) It was averaging
10 speeders every 3 days..............Some halfwit damaged the cameras...So what did the Police do ?
Yep you guessed it! They covered it with a Mobile Unit which was reeling them in up to 40 speeders an hour. As has been mentioned before be careful what you wish for............ :dighole:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 20:35 
Gold Member
Gold Member

sirspeed wrote:
NOT a good idea scrapping all static cameras.. I know of a site in Cleveland that was not getting many speeders but was doing its job on a site which was an accident blackspot (crossroads) It was averaging
10 speeders every 3 days..............Some halfwit damaged the cameras...So what did the Police do ?
Yep you guessed it! They covered it with a Mobile Unit which was reeling them in up to 40 speeders an hour. As has been mentioned before be careful what you wish for............ :dighole:

One of the things which seems to get sidelined( very conveniently by some of the proponents of PC Gatso ,and those with a pecuniary interest in prolonging the age of unsafe policing) about the aims of SS ,is a RETURN to the days when road safety (from dangerous driving et al to speeding ,both exceeding the limit and exceeding a safe speed) was done not by automation ,but by properly trained :bib: :bib: :bib: :bib: .

So if you transgressed , there was a chance you'd only get a very descriptive description of what you did wrong .You might get a ticket .But what you certainly would get would be a thourough education into your follies ,what you did wrong ,and what could happen if worst came to worst .

Edit - most discourtouse of me - I forgot :welcome: :welcome:

( PS -please forgive spelling ,haven't added FF dictionary yet after recent re install)