Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: bus stop
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 01:12 
User

i was dropping of a mate at about 20 past midnight but i parked on a bus stop(not a bus lane), i was only dropping off a friend so i thought it would be ok late at night... but as i was parked up 2 busses came out of knowhere and i dont know if they were trying to stop at the bus stop, im just wondering what would happen if anything should?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: bus stop
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 14:29 

Bus drivers have no way to enforce the law. They're just bus drivers. And probably angry.
A bus stop requires the lines to be painted correctly (I've never seen one correct so far) and a correctly drawn restriction sign. A lot of places seem to have forgotten about the sign. :lol:

Dropping someone off at a bus stop during quiet times is perfectly fine except legally.

To stay legal you simply don't stop the car.
Your passenger will break the law of "don't get on/off a moving vehicle" but the chances of that being enforced are much, much less then "stopping at a bus stop for 5 seconds while there's nothing else about. £££".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 16:01 
Life Member
Life Member

there are THREE elements to a legaly defined bus stop

1. Thick yellow line
2. Thick words "BUS STOP" Painted on the road
3. Small yellow plate with the hours that it applies or "AT ANY TIME" on a post or the bus shelter

I am not sure if this is an offence that could attract points.
I cirtainly would not do it in an area where CCTV operates

If any of the three elements are missing it is FREE PARKING :D
(possibly not in a parking control zone?)

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 16:19 

Just remembered, I have pre-prepared links:

Bus stops:
Any of these must have a sign:
974 or 975

I'm not convinced that bus stops are allowed in CPZs. The description I remember of a CPZ says it must have single/double yellow lines/no loading blips, or parking bays along every edge of every road in the CPZ. So either the CPZ is invalid, or the bus stops are parking bays? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 17:28 
User

robina_80 wrote:
i was dropping of a mate at about 20 past midnight but i parked on a bus stop(not a bus lane), i was only dropping off a friend so i thought it would be ok late at night... but as i was parked up 2 busses came out of knowhere and i dont know if they were trying to stop at the bus stop, im just wondering what would happen if anything should?

If it is clearly defined as a bus stop OR your action causes and obstruction to the bus then you will find you are commiting an offence. Also busses are often fitted with cameras and their data is often passed to local authority or police, dont be surprised if you get a ticket through the door at a later date. If you are simply dropping someone off just drop them on the yellow lines or line you are less likely to be bothered other than moved on.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 19:55 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Ziltro wrote:
Bus drivers have no way to enforce the law. They're just bus drivers. And probably angry.
A bus stop requires the lines to be painted correctly (I've never seen one correct so far) and a correctly drawn restriction sign. A lot of places seem to have forgotten about the sign. :lol:

I just checked - the bus stop at the bottom of my road has a plate - "No stopping except buses" - implying it is 24/7.

I don't think the old-style bus stops actually had any legal validity, which is why they have now introduced "bus stop clearways" surrounded by a red box.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 20:30 
User

IIRC stopping/parking in a bus stop invalidates your insurance.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 20:46 

Herbie J wrote:
If it is clearly defined as a bus stop...

Clearly and legally. ;)

Herbie J wrote:
If you are simply dropping someone off just drop them on the yellow lines or line you are less likely to be bothered other than moved on.

That is true, you are allowed to stop on double/single yellow lines at any time to pick up/drop off. (but check also for "no-loading blips") Useful thing to remember. Also if the person being picked up/dropped off needs any assistance, children, elderly, etc. then you are allowed to help.

PeterE wrote:
I just checked - the bus stop at the bottom of my road has a plate - "No stopping except buses" - implying it is 24/7.

It doesn't say "at any time"? Probably invalid. :lol:

PeterE wrote:
I don't think the old-style bus stops actually had any legal validity, which is why they have now introduced "bus stop clearways" surrounded by a red box.

I believe that is the case. It should be a yellow box though. A red one is a london red route thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 20:49 
Life Member
Life Member

weepej wrote:

he is trolling again.

Where in the uk statute does it say that???
also most uk bus stops have no legal status due to thier incorrect markings

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 21:04 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

weepej wrote:

Why do you say that? And in what way does it invalidate it?

Unless the policy contains a specific exclusion, committing a traffic offence does not as a general rule invalidate motor insurance.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 21:54 

anton wrote:
weepej wrote:

he is trolling again.

Yeah, I almost replied. :lol:

I suspect it'd be in the insurance policy (contract?) if anywhere. But that's specific to each insurance policy.

There are some exemptions to the bus stop clearway restriction for things like maintenance to the bus stop.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 13:38 
New User
New User

If it's anywhere it'll be in the booklet you usually get that sets out what your policy is valid for (I did have a Direct Line one to hand but don't know where it's gone)

It basically means if you park there and something hits you , as you are parked where you should not be they can reserve the right not to pay out. Like most things it depends on circumstance. If a bus stop does not have a flag (the bit that officially makes it a stop) you can park there perfectly legally. This info came from an ex copper working for us.

First post. Woo hoo!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 19:13 
Site Admin

Unless of course there are clear double yellow lines. If any parking is very temporary to pick someone up or drop them off then they might provide an exception but in some areas of the Country some 'wardens' will ticket you if you you stop at all for any reason!
I'd have to check the very small print of my policy to see if it is there though, cannot say that I can ever recall it. I have waded through some policies every so often ! :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 22:39 
New User
New User

That's possible. Like I said mine was a Direct Line one. Others might say something different, if at all. True about the parking 'wardens', some of them can be a bit over-zealous.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 03:48 
Site Admin

Some interesting points that relate to parking from UK Motorists ... here : http://www.ukmotorists.com/parking%20regulations.asp
If one when parking incorrectly is only 'in contravention of the regulations' then I cannot see on what basis one cannot then still be insured?
Have you got a reference from Direct Line please, and any info on how they might apply such a rule ?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 14:26 
New User
New User

Not sure as I can't find the booklet, however if I do find it I'll post the clause here. House move and all that...