All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A74 speed camera blitz
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:51 
User

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/south_of_scotland/8142692.stm

Quote:
Cameras clock cross-border speeds
The campaign is targeting the entire length of the A74(M) motorway

A speeding crackdown is under way targeting the motorway that links Scotland and England.

It is hoped the clampdown will help to reduce the speed of vehicles along the entire length of the A74(M).

Safety camera partnerships in Cumbria, Dumfries and Galloway and Strathclyde have joined forces for the day of action on the route.

Two years ago a stretch of the motorway near Gretna was identified as having the fastest average speed in the UK.

The 24-hour campaign is being led by Dumfries and Galloway Safety Camera Partnership (DGSCP).
It will see an increased number of its speed checking devices along the road.

Sgt Lee Black of DGSCP said: "We are co-ordinating this day of action to make motorists aware of their speed on the A74(M).

"I am confident that with such a visual presence we will have a positive and long lasting effect."

I am confident that Sgt Blacks confidence is misplaced, and all that will happen is that motorists will resent the activities, because they feel they are driving safely.
The report makes no mention of any educational aspect to this campaign.
It is all stick and no carrot.

Jan Sjorup of CSCP recently confessed that the effectiveness of the fixed cameras at Ings lasts just 200 to 300 metres. I reckon the entire length of the A74(M) will therefore require several hundred cameras to make that lasting impression!

I also find it strange that there has been a two year gap between the discovery that Gretna has the highest average speed in the UK, and measures being taken to combat it!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 14:35 

Highest average speeds, maybe .....but how do the A/mvkms stack up....that WOULD be telling wouldn't it?

Notice accident figures aren't mentioned....I wonder why?

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 14:57 

The motorway is the LEAST appropiate place to have speed cameras :x

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 20:39 
User

Ach .. my husband not see this. Pardon!

This stretch not have incident. It will attract speed. It was once scene of 130 mph German driver who "forget all linguistic skill" I interpret for him on that occasion back in mid 90s. He claim he "forget he in England" :banghead: He got ban from driving here for 6 month but could drive normal in Europe continent.

Was his driving dangerous? Well .. NO. Not really.

Does this stretch encourage "tonners"?

Welll yes it does. It feels safe.. looks safe.. has little history of carnage. Shap has such tragic lore/legend.

for the LOCALS!

But we know a money spin when we see it. This fits Steviebabes und you be honest now. :drink: Note .. I give you hand of friendship. :bighand: :bighand: Please accept we are not the anti-christ here.

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!