Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 21:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Compulsory Brake Assist?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 08:41 

Quote:
Brake assist systems - which apply full braking power during emergency stops even if the driver doesn't push the pedal hard enough - may become mandatory on all cars sold from 2008 onwards. That's one possible alternative to phase two of the European Commission's rules on pedestrian safety.
Phase one comes in at the beginning of October this year, and isn't part of the argument. Phase two - which involves increasing the crush zone between the front of a car and its engine and radiator, and is described in some quarters as "not technically feasible" - is due to start on a 1 September 2010. The use of brake assist is being put forward as a more reasonable alternative.
"We always said active safety is better than passive," says Alfredo Filippone of the European car manufacturers group ACEA. "It's better to try to avoid the collision in the first place."
There is agreement to this within the Commission. A spokesman has revealed that during a study conducted last year it was established that using brake assist in conjunction with active collision avoidance systems would create the same safety benefits as intended by the current phase two rules.
Radar-based brake assist is already available on cars such as the Audi A6 and A8, and supplier Bosch says that a system which will jolt the brakes to warn the driver that an emergency stop may be required shortly will be on the market late next year. More sophisticated systems - which can detect an object, realise that the driver isn't going to react quickly enough and perform the emergency stop on their own - may be only a few years away, according to Siemens VDO Automotive, though as spokesman Enno Pflug points out, "an object detector needs a lot of computing power to detect a pedestrian."

I wonder if it will help road safety at all. Or is it technology for technologys sake... :x

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 08:50 
User

So you drive along at a legal 50, a pedestrian flirts with the edge of the road, and fools your car into an emergency stop, you then get bludgeoned by the airbags as the older lorry behind you, chose that moment to check his speedo, had no chance to react, and plows into the back of you. Unfortunately your car was rammed onto the pavement killing the original pedestrian and the mother with her pram that was walking along near them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 09:02 
Site Admin

Or I'm attempting to do some finely balanced braking on a bend with a hazard ahead, and all of a sudden the car decides to do a full on emergency stop?

Or I'm scrubbing off speed with strong braking in an emergency, planning to steer to safety once enough speed is gone, but the car decides to carry on braking for too long?

Or the poxy control computer crashes and applies full braking in L3 of a busy motorway for no apparent reason?

And what on earth is it going to do on ice? Detect the onset of wheel lock and decide it must be an emergency? :yikes: I hope not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 09:42 
User

well i think its a pretty poor idea to make it mandatory but feel some of these statements are misrepresenting the current functionality.

EBA usually uses rate of brake apply to decide if its an emergency stop, some also use the rate of lift off on the accelerator and time between lift off & brake apply.

if it detects an emergency stop situation (subjective & tuneable to VM requirements) and applies pressure at the maximum rate. most drivers don't apply as fast and as hard as they could in an emergency situation.

SafeSpeed wrote:
Or I'm attempting to do some finely balanced braking on a bend with a hazard ahead, and all of a sudden the car decides to do a full on emergency stop?

so finely balanced braking shouldn't be a problem, strong braking shouldn't be a problem.

SafeSpeed wrote:
Or I'm scrubbing off speed with strong braking in an emergency, planning to steer to safety once enough speed is gone, but the car decides to carry on braking for too long?

these systems are always aware of the driver input. if you take your foot off the pedal, it should release the pressure.

SafeSpeed wrote:
Or the poxy control computer crashes and applies full braking in L3 of a busy motorway for no apparent reason?

obviously these are safety critical systems with requirement for a high safety integrity level. the hardware is the same as ABS/ESP so its a well tried and tested bit of kit.

SafeSpeed wrote:
And what on earth is it going to do on ice? Detect the onset of wheel lock and decide it must be an emergency? :yikes: I hope not.

this is a non issue. wheel lock isn't used to detect an 'emergency'.
wheel locking will just trigger ABS as per usual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:01 
User

Presumably it would not be too difficult for an experienced driver to disable these systems if he/she didn't like them, in the same way that ABS and air bags can be disabled if required.
With the current very low levels of speed at which we are now allowed to drive, I really can't see the need for any of this new kit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:11 
Site Admin

ed_m wrote:
SafeSpeed wrote:

obviously these are safety critical systems with requirement for a high safety integrity level. the hardware is the same as ABS/ESP so its a well tried and tested bit of kit.

Speaking as an electronic engineer, it is utterly impossible to crash-proof any microprocessor based system.

With ABS, I believe that the control unit only has the power to demand a brief interruption of brake force.

With emergency brake assist the control electronics clearly has the right to mandate a full blown emergency stop. There's no way I would trust that function to a single computer. In such a safety critical system I would demand duplication or triplication as a minimum.

It's possible that this is just what they do. On the other hand I've seen many designs that trusted the digital electroncs to be faultless, despite the fact that such trust is unfounded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:54 
User

SafeSpeed wrote:
Speaking as an electronic engineer, it is utterly impossible to crash-proof any microprocessor based system.

agreed..... but the failure modes are considered through a manner of techniques (FMEA, Fault trees, Hazard analysis), their effects & severity assessed and mitigating design measure put in place.

SafeSpeed wrote:
With ABS, I believe that the control unit only has the power to demand a brief interruption of brake force.

there's no reason why it couldn't fire the isolation valve for a long period of time, or the valve get stuck.
the only difference between an ABS only system and ABS+ESP(etc) is a few extra valves and maybe a bit of extra memory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:55 
User

Cooperman wrote:
Presumably it would not be too difficult for an experienced driver to disable these systems if he/she didn't like them, in the same way that ABS and air bags can be disabled if required.
With the current very low levels of speed at which we are now allowed to drive, I really can't see the need for any of this new kit.

sure... pull the fuse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:15 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Until recently, I have driven a car with brake assist and in 2 years I only had one occasion where it operated (in a genuine emergency stop situation - someone pulled out on me point blank). I drive quite briskly, use the limits of braking reasonably often - ABS operating - and I can assure you that brake assist does not operate in normal conditions.

If you emergency brake it does operate, however. Whether you lot would stop any quicker is questionnable but I bet my granny might.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 13:33 
User

I have to say, I'm with Paul on this one. I'm a complete technophobe when it comes to things like this. OK, I'm not trying to say that ABS is a bad thing (although I've never driven a car with it, and I do find that it tends to bread complacency). I hate 'fly by wire', and hate 'electronic driving aids'. Basically I'm dead against any electronic device that has the potential to fail and in doing so, affect the vehicle's behaviour.

There's no such thing as 'fail safe'. If a system fails, then by definition it is going cause a problem one way or another. Take air brakes for instance. Sure, its a hell of alot safer when air pressure is lost if the brakes to come on, rather than not working at all. But when this happens at 56MPH on the motorway, it is STILL going to pose a hazard, all be it a lesser one. (OK I know that this isn't quite the same thing, but it makes the point.)

Quote:

"It's better to try to avoid the collision in the first place."says Alfredo Filippone of the European car manufacturers group ACEA.

However I don't disagree with this statement :twisted:

The way I see it, its the same as lights or wipers that come on by themselves - it removes the need for the driver to be fully aware of and capable of responding to changes in external conditions. A properly trained driver should be capable of braking in such a manner to avoid a hazard. How would a system such as EBA cope with 'interference braking' for instance?

As for the technology being made mandatory, this is yet another case of the beurocrats in Europe making legislation soley in order to justify their own existence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 13:53 
User

More research is a must before we make this compulsory. You have to be sure people know how to use this technology - and since too many do not know how to use ABS correctly - this is a no-brainer.

Furthermore - I read some time ago that the Belgians were worried about cruise control - as it seems this caused more accidents as some numpties believed this was "auto-drive" already! :roll:

Nope - against it. Better to invest in teaching folks how to drive properly and ensuring only those who actually CAN - pass their tests! :shock: :?

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 13:55 
Site Admin

Sixy_the_red wrote:
How would a system such as EBA cope with 'interference braking' for instance?

You're only the second person in the whole world that I've heard use that term! :) But I'll place my personal bet that you got it from the first.. Paul Ripley. Am I right?

It's on: http://www.safespeed.org.uk/braking.html

I'm guessing the we don't get EBA unless we have ABS and 'avoidance braking' isn't required.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 14:07 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I remember seeing something on tv once where they monitored aircraft pilots to analyse the effect of making the plane more "intelligent" so it automated many of the things the human operator would otherwise do. What they found was that the human operator simply paid less and less attention the more intelligence they gave the plane, as over time they started to trust it to do its job. I don't recall whether they decided that this made the combined human-computer system less safe, or if it merely cancelled out the expected benefits of giving the plane more intelligence. I'm pretty certain it didn't improve things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 14:53 
User

Cooperman wrote:

Some of this techology is quite fascinating but I'm not sure it is all being used wisely. I think the balance between technical progress and the average quality of drivers is deteriorating. The best results IMHO will be obtained by improving the most comprehensive and versatile control mechanism of all - namely a properly competent driver.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 16:02 

TripleS wrote:
Some of this techology is quite fascinating but I'm not sure it is all being used wisely. I think the balance between technical progress and the average quality of drivers is deteriorating. The best results IMHO will be obtained by improving the most comprehensive and versatile control mechanism of all - namely a properly competent driver.

Hmm, agreed. Perhaps a period of post test compulsory motoring in a 1970s Austin Maxi might help improve driver skills and lessen reliance on driver aids and safety devices. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 16:23 

Stopping distance is limited by the adhesion between the tyres and the road surface. There are improvements to be had in systems which stop the car "nose diving" under heavy braking, ensuring maximum traction at all 4 wheels, but this is a different system to the one discussed here.

EBA uses radar to determine if the car is heading towards an object and, if brakes are applied, increases the braking force.

I'm sure the system will safely shut itself if an electronic failure occurs, but how will the driver react to the shutdown if they have become reliant on the system?

There are other safety concerns too:

1) Does it take road adhesion (e.g. wet, icy etc) into account when determining the braking force?

2) There are certain situations where crashing into the back of someone is preferable to losing control and ending up in the path of oncoming traffic. How can a computer make this decision?

3) False alarms due to interference. Is your car going to grind to a halt outside every automatic door? How will it deal with the radar signals from all the other cars with EBA?

4) If the car behind is travelling too close and the system activates you could find yourself getting rear-ended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 17:16 
User

NO!!!!

I was once the victim of the EBA system in my Dad's E-Class. A well-hidden gatso took me by surprise. Even though I wasn't speeding, I instinctively moved my foot to the brake pedal. I only touched it very lightly and I ended up doing an unintentional emergency stop.

The E class has exceptionally good brakes and it stopped very violently indeed. I'm fairly sure that had there been a car behind, it would have rear ended us. It seems fundamentally wrong to me that the car can override the driver's instructions and decide to execute a violent and potentially dangerous manouvre.

Can a computer program really judge the situation better than an intelligent and experienced driver? As a computer techie, I would say no - just as a gatso cannot determine whether you are driving safely. I don't think that a computer should be able to override the driver in any circumstances.

Since the incident I have always been rather scared of the brake pedal in the E class. I have recently discovered that it is possible to temporarily disable the EBA by putting the computer into a secret diagnostic mode but that disables all of the safety features, airbags etc. If it was my car I would find a way to disable the EBA permanently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 19:27 
User

Paul - yes I got the term from your site - I remembered interference bracking rather than avoidance braking for some reason... :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 19:51 

Quote:

"We always said active safety is better than passive," says Alfredo Filippone of the European car manufacturers group ACEA. "It's better to try to avoid the collision in the first place."

Then there is only one part of the vehicle we should be looking to "improve" - the nut behind the wheel.

I'm all for gadgets and driver aids. I wouldn't be without ABS even though I have heard the odd horror story such as one driver left with no brakes at all when the ABS system failed during braking. And I have EBD but have yet to provoke it into action.

But if you are looking to improve road safety then more automation is not the right direction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 20:15 
Gold Member
Gold Member

antera309 wrote:
There are other safety concerns too:

1) Does it take road adhesion (e.g. wet, icy etc) into account when determining the braking force?

2) There are certain situations where crashing into the back of someone is preferable to losing control and ending up in the path of oncoming traffic. How can a computer make this decision?

I'd expect ABS to continue to address both of these concerns.

simba wrote:
I was once the victim of the EBA system in my Dad's E-Class. A well-hidden gatso took me by surprise. Even though I wasn't speeding, I instinctively moved my foot to the brake pedal. I only touched it very lightly and I ended up doing an unintentional emergency stop.

Is that a radar based system? Perhaps the radar in the gatso confused it?