Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 08:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Size of bunks in cabs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:59 
New User
New User

hi there can any one tell me if there are any ruling on how long you can stay out in your cab if the bunk is a certain size , as I have heard that with the smaller bunks you can only stay out for 2 nights as the bed is just over 2 feet wide but a Scania guy said that these bunks are only rest beds for short rest breaks not for long periods of overnight work as the average driver is about 2 feet wide . (Scania G380)

so can someone put me right on this as me personally I`m having problems sleeping in such a small area

Cheers

Angus

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 23:21 
User

the law states that you must have access to a bunk or couch during a rest period but i am not aware of any specific sizes stated within the regulations. for a normal worker there may well be some kind of guidance but as with many things (apart from the smoking ban :roll: ), they would probably exclude trucks anyway. they tend to do that when it suits them, not us :x
on a similiar note, there is a member of trucknetuk.com who is pushing the idea of longer cabs to give the drivers more room and as someone who is currently moving into politics, i have advised him to specify that while proposing a longer vehicle length, he should include a maximum trailer length to prevent the bosses from stealing the drivers space. extending the overall length while retaining the current trailer lengths would allow the truck manufacturers to stretch the cab to give us more living space

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585

Profile Send private message