Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 03:55 
Site Admin

I have been asked this question can anyone help so that I can pass the answer back ?

------
do you possibly have any info on articulated stopping distances with 20 ton on board ( unit - mercedes actros, trailer - trailer, 5 ton, container, 5 ton and a load of 20 ton, please help if you can.

--------
This is all that I have .... :-) thanks ....

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 09:35 
User

Out of interest, why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 19:04 
User

The Actros is fitted with EBS, if it is pulling a matching trailer, even with a 20ton load, then I would not suggest you tailgate.
It has the capability of stopping shorter than a car travelling at the same speed. This was demonstrated on a video I watched some time back, sorry, can't remember where.
This is also a reason modern trucks do not have front under spoilers very close to the ground when stationary or moving, as under harsh braking it would simply get broken off.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 13:01 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
I have been asked this question can anyone help so that I can pass the answer back ?

------
do you possibly have any info on articulated stopping distances with 20 ton on board ( unit - mercedes actros, trailer - trailer, 5 ton, container, 5 ton and a load of 20 ton, please help if you can.

--------
This is all that I have .... :-) thanks ....

If you search long and hard you will find technical data testing brakes of trucks and with varied results. If you find someone with recent CPC (certificate of professional competence) they will have hand-outs on the formula's for working it out.(I dont have mine as it was so long ago or I would post it.) Unlike cars that have a simple braking system, Goods veh's with abs/eps air systems are designed so that brake effect increases relative to the load on it. Simply put, if you put more weight on, load sensors increase the ammount of brake effect.