The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 01:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: ADVICE PLEASE
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 15:57 
New User
New User

Hi all
looking for some help i have been told recently iam going to be made redundent and iam seriously thinking of doing my hgv .i have worked in a factory for 24years and have always wanted to drive for years but always thought my eyesight wasnt up to standard.Heres the problem i recently went for an eye test and with the help of glasses one of my eyes is right on the boarderline of pass or fail.What id like to ask is how many companys would fail me on a medical to drive if i passed my gp medical or do companys not do medicals just accept the gps. any info welcome
cheers

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 16:59 
Life Member
Life Member

Have you had a HGV medical?At £30 is quite cheap and lasts 5 years. I have driven on one effective eye all my life.
I could not pass the first question on the form !

Quote:
What happens at my Medical?
Medicals usually take 20-30 minutes and involve a long questionnaire followed by an eye test, blood pressure measurement, urine test and a full physical examination of heart, lungs, circulation, nervous system, musculoskeletal system and abdomen.

If your glasses are new your eyes may have been under strain and will do better once you have had the benefit of glasses for a few weeks.

I don't know if truck firms do their own medicals. I doubt it.

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 17:51 
New User
New User

cheers anton thats what i was asking dont want to waste time and money possibly passing medical with gp for prov licence and possibly pass and go for jobs and possibly fail company medicals and get turned down for jobs.if most companys dont do medicals then its all down to my gp before i spend my cash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 14:07 
User

Youe GP medical is all you need to get the licence. There may be some larger companies who have their own medicals but the chances of you working for one of those within 2 years of passing are slim to nil anyway.

Best of luck to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 20:05 
New User
New User

cheers thanx for the info

Post subject: HGV Medicals
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 21:40 
User

Firstly mate you won,t have a company medical for a job driving as the only likely time you "Might" have to go for a medical is, if you are off ill for a) any length of time or b) because of persistant sick leave (which ANY co. can make you take) not just haulage companies.

If you are over 45 (like me "A Golden Oldie" :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink: :wink: ) you will need a medical every 5 years and most companies after say 3 years service for example will pay for your medical.

Good Luck mate on the test etc. but prepare to lead a lonely life as you are literally "on your own" for most of the day except when loading / unloading so if you can stand talking to yourself all day and singing with the radio you will be ok! :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

Incidentally there is nowt wrong with talking to yourself all day as the time to worry is when you start arguing with yourself :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink: :x :x :x

"He Who Ain,t Made Mistakes Ain,t Made Anything"

Spannernut

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 09:18 
User

i have only ever had a medical once and that was southampton council. More and more companies will take you out on assessment which is purely driving ability but thats all. They are only interested in making sure the truck is safe. The driver is cheaper to replace. Apologies for being so blunt but that is the reality of it

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585

Post subject: Re: HGV Medicals
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 09:31 
User

Stormin wrote:
Incidentally there is nowt wrong with talking to yourself all day as the time to worry is when you start arguing with yourself :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink: :x :x :x

Shut up, no you shut up, no you shut up! :wink: :D

Post subject: Re: HGV Medicals
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 00:57 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Sixy_the_red wrote:
Stormin wrote:

Shut up, no you shut up, no you shut up! :wink: :D

Always thought it was when you lost the argument. :o

Post subject: Talking to Yourself!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 21:01 
User

Na you never lose the argument when you talk to yourself all day :!: :!: :!: :? :? :? :roll: :roll: :roll:

You only lose the plot and the argument when you choose to argue with (in my case) "Matron" :!: :!: :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll:

One must do as one is told by "The Fairer Sex" or so she tells me, I must never issue a challenge to "The Chief Test Pilot in the Broom Factory" ouch that hurt :!: :!: :!: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spannernut

Post subject: Re: Talking to Yourself!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 00:05 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Stormin wrote:

"The Chief Test Pilot in the Broom Factory"

Beautiful turn of phrase , but out of consideration for health and safety ( mine that is ) don't think i'll use that one . :clap: :clap:

Post subject: Test Pilots
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 18:32 
User

Nothing wrong with using the terminology mate just make sure you are 100 yds away from said person when you do though :!: :!: :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :jester:

Spannernut

Post subject: Re: Test Pilots
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 20:10 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Stormin wrote:
Nothing wrong with using the terminology mate just make sure you are 100 yds away from said person when you do though :!: :!: :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :jester:

Used to do that ,before she had her eye done -now ,more like 300 , else I'm piloting broom from wrong end:o