Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 09:17 
User

Tonight's real story (BBC1 7:30PM) is supposedly going to be highlighting the problem of foreign lorries on our roads that are in a poor state of repair, dangerously overloaded and with drivers who are breaking the rules.

It WAS going to be about the difficulties faced by our boys and girls every day because of other motorists, poorly designed MSAs and industrial estates and rediculous legislation. Barrie from Truckersworld kindly agreed to allow the team to spend a day out with him to see what goes on, but after 8 hours of filming they have apparently included no footage of him at all.

Lets wait and see if this is just going to be another nail in the coffin of the UK haulage industry. :(

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 08:36 
User

Well what a waste of time. Basically focusing on 2 very tragic accidents where people lost their lives. They DID make the point that it was foreign drivers that were involved but it really didn't go very far in improving the image of drivers in the UK :x :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 09:32 
Life Member
Life Member

I think you might be too close to the issue. From cases and friends I know the grief of truck drivers and operators queueing at the docks waiting to be loaded, trying to get an "o" liscence,, being tacho and sat tracked 24/7 hours a day. To the point that a driver was not allowed to leave his truck as the sat tracking system reported to the company if he locked up the cab! And he had to stay with the load for 3 days!

The program did generally send the message that it was the forign drivers that you have to worry about. (There for the british ones must be fairly ok?)

It is not a job that I would do! Far too much grief and as for living in a 2m cube.... I struggle to fit my possesions in to 100m sq house!

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 23:22 
User

This sounded to me like sour grapes, after the last programme they did on HGV Drivers and OSA, which was a completely one sided hatchet job, that got IMHO totally rebuffed by Lucy*, I think this is simply an attempt at a hatchet job on Foriegn drivers who are less likely to see the programme and be able to defend themselves.

Out of 206 vehicles pulled, 129 were OK, doesn't that sound better, but there again, it doesn't keep their ratings up does it, nor does it sell newspapers.

Perhaps if they were to look at the state of overnight parking for us Drivers, and the way we get treated at certain RDCs, but would that keep their ratings up or sell any papers.

I agree that there are some bent drivers and scrap wagons on the road, but that includes UK based drivers and vehicles too.

Grossly unfair reporting IMO.

*Lucy is a Director of the TrucknetUK website, and managed to get a slot on the answer back programme just a few days after the OSA(Obstructive sleep apnoea) programme, the one that said all truckers drive whilst asleep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 23:54 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Can relate to the bit about poor off road facilities - not so long ago was working south of Northampton - near a so called truck rest area - needed diesel and a crap.Couldn't get either on a sunday afternoon - place (including so called cafe ) SHUT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:19 
User

anton wrote:
The program did generally send the message that it was the forign drivers that you have to worry about. (There for the british ones must be fairly ok?)

i agree that the foreigners are the majority of bad truck drivers in the uk however, how will joe public know the difference when the mentality is generally...DUH...truck! they will have no idea of either the nationality of the truck or its driver. with the flood of immigrants over here, WE barely know who is british and who isnt and that is driving british registered trucks :o

i have witnessed or been involved in far too many close calls to simply sit back and allow them to be here. the worst was a few months ago when one almost took me out as i was overtaking a petrol tanker. polish truck, outside lane, half way past he cuts in forcing me to slow down and pull into L1 behind the tanker who ended up on the hard shoulder because the polish truck continued to come over into L1. he is lucky i didnt catch him! to hell with teh consequences, you do not play with tankers or their drivers. 30 odd thousand litres of petrol going up will not be pleasant and anyone who does risk a tanker drivers life deserves some unofficial 'education' :x

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585