Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Perceptions
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 16:53 
User

Is it true the the average car driver will see a bike rider and notice every little thing. Like the leg stretching/the one hand on the bars now and then/ the wiggling about for comfort/the odd scratch now and then/the occasional standing up on the foot pegs etc etc?

Is it also true that the same car driver while noticing all of this may be having a conversation with passengers/scratching now and then/leg stretching/one hand on wheel/wiggling about/changing a CD/ using mobile phone but being less noticed even by themselves?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Perceptions
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 09:24 
Gold Member
Gold Member

That is probably the case for most drivers opinions of other drivers. You never hear or see people congratulating a skillfull piece of driving, they only see the negative in other people and the positive in themselves.

Post subject: Re: Perceptions
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 22:32 
User

adam.L wrote:
That is probably the case for most drivers opinions of other drivers. You never hear or see people congratulating a skillfull piece of driving, they only see the negative in other people and the positive in themselves.

I mostly agree with that but I do feel that many a 'misdemeanour' shall we say, goes unseen in the cocoon with a wheel on each corner whereas its always seen on a bike. eg you cant always tell if someone driving a car has crossed their legs as they need a pee stop, nor can you see what they are doing with one hand on their lap,some tell tale signs may appear after a while but still no clarity.Rider behavior can be seen clearly and immediate.And I always congratulate skillful driving or riding, I must be different :|