The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 18:27 

hampshireian wrote:
SafeSpeed wrote:
hampshireian wrote:
Seriously though I think that the really reason for not seeing someone is down to not looking properly .

There may be phyisologial or eviromental reason for the ocassional mishap but most of the time it is down to laziness.

What makes you think that? Laziness? What's your evidence?

A nice emotive word Laziness isn't it !

People dont see other road users (not only bikes) for 4 reasons

1. Enviromental , sun in their eyes etc. Not much we can do about this but it seems to be an over used excuse.

2. Medial and/or fatigue - then you shouldn't be driving.

3. Distractions mobiles,Radios etc - then you shouldn't be driving.

4. Not giving your full concentration to the task in hand ie 'LAZY' driving aka driving without due care.

Documentary evidence for this is very difficult to produce, this is just my Opinion after 7 year driving RRVs which are designed to be as conspiquous as possible - retroreflective markings,flashing blue lights,flashing headlights , sirens etc and I am still amzed by the number of people who don't see you.

Perhaps people miss seeing what they don't expect to see?

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 19:37 
User

Rigpig wrote:

Sorry but people should expect to see other vehicles on the road !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 19:51 

hampshireian wrote:
Rigpig wrote:

Yes they should, but if people hardly ever see a motorcycle coming down the road when they are at a junction then maybe when one does come along they just overlook it?
Its all to do with human physiology I suppose, and I'm not a physiologist (or whatever one would be called).

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 00:17 
User

BottyBurp wrote:
hampshireian wrote:
It's a risk reducing excercise to wear Hi viz and/or use headlights which are designed to make you more visible in the vast majority of cases.
But, apparently, doing those things make you less visible! (Even though I can spot plod on a bike a mile off, in front or behind, when he's got his lights & hi-viz on)...
What else can we do?

If possible I do the same as when filtering. I weave across my lane so that I am not approaching in one plane. As already mentioned, if an object is travelling straight at you it is extremely hard to judge speed. Hence the accidents with people crossing railway tracks with a train approaching.

BTW the only SMIDSY's I've had are people who didn't even look or I was obscured, in one instance by a hawking great lorry which had let them cross. The ones that have looked have seen me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 08:39 
User

R1Nut wrote:

The ones that have looked have seen me.

EXACTLY MY POINT !!

We shouldn't make excuses for pepoles bad driving.
This is symptamatic of this pink and fluffy/PC world we live in now, where someone/something else is always to blame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:45 
Gold Member
Gold Member

R1Nut wrote:

A couple of months ago, a young girl pulled out on me whist staring straight into my eyes. It was a buttock clenching moment!!

Just goes to show - there's more to this SMIDSY thing than meets the eye.... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 15:54 
User

Grumpy Old Biker wrote:

A couple of months ago, a young girl pulled out on me whist staring straight into my eyes.

Maybe if she wasn't lost in your eyes she wouldn't of pulled out ! :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 17:16 
Gold Member
Gold Member

hampshireian wrote:
Grumpy Old Biker wrote:

A couple of months ago, a young girl pulled out on me whist staring straight into my eyes.

Maybe if she wasn't lost in your eyes she wouldn't of pulled out ! :lol: :lol:

Yeah! The thought had crossed my mind... :wink:

But to be serious for a second, I think it's also something to do with a subconscious perceived threat. Big trucks will hurt - little bikes will bounce off.

edited to add: not that mine's little, of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 21:09 

Don't worry Grumpy, size doesn't matter. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 15:03 

Grumpy Old Biker wrote:
R1Nut wrote:

A couple of months ago, a young girl pulled out on me whist staring straight into my eyes. It was a buttock clenching moment!!

Just goes to show - there's more to this SMIDSY thing than meets the eye.... :)

I remember when doing my CBT/DAS stuff, the instructor said "make sure you get eye contact with drivers waiting at junctions"! Sod that - I make sure I've either got an escape route or sufficient stopping time/distance/safety bubble etc. now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 14:28 

Rigpig wrote:
hampshireian wrote:
Rigpig wrote:

Yes they should, but if people hardly ever see a motorcycle coming down the road when they are at a junction then maybe when one does come along they just overlook it?
Its all to do with human physiology I suppose, and I'm not a physiologist (or whatever one would be called).

Hmmm, I hardly ever see a tank or Exocet missile come down my road, but I'd like to think if one did, I wouldn't just 'overlook' it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 15:17 
User

BottyBurp wrote:
Rigpig wrote:
hampshireian wrote:
Rigpig wrote:

Hmmm, I hardly ever see a tank or Exocet missile come down my road, but I'd like to think if one did, I wouldn't just 'overlook' it...

That maybe your answer Botty. Convert your fairing into the front-end view of a Challenger tank. Might not be too good for the aerodynamics though :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 19:18 

BottyBurp wrote:
Rigpig wrote:
hampshireian wrote:
Rigpig wrote:

I'd like to think I always take time to conduct proper observation at a junction too BB. But I'm trying to suggests reaosns why people don't see an oncoming motorcycle.
Yes a driver should expect to see other vehicles cloming along the road, and if one is there then they should see that vehicle when he/she looks for clearance to pull out of a junction.
So what if they don't see it and they pull out on a motorcyle resulting in a crash?
Has our knowledge of what they should do actually helped in any way? Although we can have the book of litigation thrown at the errant driver we really want to know why that individual failed to see the bike don't we? Because the threat of legal action doesn't stop people from having observation failures, although the real threat of punitive punishment may make an few take a bit more care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 14:13 

Rigpig wrote:
BottyBurp wrote:
Rigpig wrote:
hampshireian wrote:
Rigpig wrote:

I'd like to think I always take time to conduct proper observation at a junction too BB. But I'm trying to suggests reaosns why people don't see an oncoming motorcycle.
Yes a driver should expect to see other vehicles cloming along the road, and if one is there then they should see that vehicle when he/she looks for clearance to pull out of a junction.
So what if they don't see it and they pull out on a motorcyle resulting in a crash?
Has our knowledge of what they should do actually helped in any way? Although we can have the book of litigation thrown at the errant driver we really want to know why that individual failed to see the bike don't we? Because the threat of legal action doesn't stop people from having observation failures, although the real threat of punitive punishment may make an few take a bit more care.
The only reason I can truthfully think of, is they pure & simple can't be arsed to look properly. Perhaps it's the same reason why they don't indicate? Surely that's nothing to do with motion camouflage or perceived threat is it?