The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 02:43 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I agree wholeheartedly Bill!

I believe that any biker who does not openly thank a good deed by a fellow motorist is doing the entire biking fraternity a disservice. Everyone loves the warm, fuzzy feeling that comes when their altruistic act is acknowledged, and so by giving that gesture to another driver, the biker can increase the liklihood that they will repeat it, and also that those around who have noted it will follow suit.

One of the greatest boons garnered from having my motorcycle was navigating the motorways around Glasgow on my journey south from Leuchars. Work on a new junction caused gridlock for many months, and I was able to bypass it through filtering.

On one occasion a Rover 75 driver (poor-man's Jag :roll: ) noticed my progress, and moved from the outside lane to obstruct me. Fortunately the white van man (I know, of all people!) abeam him had also seen me coming, and also moved left to ease my passage. In one fluid motion I was able to give a missive of thanks to the van driver, and a less complimentary gesture to the car driver, and was gratified to see the van occupants pissing themselves, as were the passengers of the car ahead of the Rover! :hehe:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:42 

SafeSpeed wrote:
Of course one even neater solution that we haven't much touched on is for Dusty to keep slow and left to let any bikers in his mirrors nip past before it's time for his right turn.

I think this is probably taking courtesy to the extreme, as it really isn't that inconvenient to filter up the outside, see a car indicating to turn right, and then tuck round the inside. Its far more important to know when they will turn.

The problem of keeping left, is that it doesn't help the rider work out when you are turning right. Plus its confusing for everyone else and may even result in the driver not being able to perform proper obs before turning.

Personally If I saw a driver indicating right and then move left. I'd slam on the anchors assuming they were going to pull a u-turn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:22 
Site Admin

diy wrote:
SafeSpeed wrote:
Of course one even neater solution that we haven't much touched on is for Dusty to keep slow and left to let any bikers in his mirrors nip past before it's time for his right turn.

I think this is probably taking courtesy to the extreme, as it really isn't that inconvenient to filter up the outside, see a car indicating to turn right, and then tuck round the inside. Its far more important to know when they will turn.

The problem of keeping left, is that it doesn't help the rider work out when you are turning right. Plus its confusing for everyone else and may even result in the driver not being able to perform proper obs before turning.

Personally If I saw a driver indicating right and then move left. I'd slam on the anchors assuming they were going to pull a u-turn.

Yeah, of course. But none of that is what I was suggesting.

The sequence would be:

- On leaving the roundabout Dusty notices a couple of bikers close behind in his mirrors.
- He keeps slow and left giving them a very easy overtake.
- They pass
- Dusty checks mirrors, and when safe indicates right
- Dusty moves to the right in preparation for his turn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 18:58 
New User
New User

Sorry to drag up an "old" thread, but the subject of hand signals made me register just to raise a point that has been neglected

I ride and drive, and in practise i suspect there is a good chance a hand signal could be misconstrued as an indication or wave saying "i know you're there, please come on by before i turn"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 20:05 
User

the_lone_wolf wrote:
Sorry to drag up an "old" thread, but the subject of hand signals made me register just to raise a point that has been neglected

I ride and drive, and in practise i suspect there is a good chance a hand signal could be misconstrued as an indication or wave saying "i know you're there, please come on by before i turn"

Hallo Liebchen

I think it a bit like the "do I signal when going back to lane on empty motorway apart from car I just overtook or would this be superfluous action as obvious thing to do when so far ahead"

It matter of using indication intelligently when other road user benefit .. It a sign of thinking about how your drive or ride affect the other person.

I tend to use a hand signal to emphasise the indicators/brake lights if I not sure the driver has seen them properly... if I think he too close for comfort behind me for example or approaching a crossing ,,or if intending to turn right after passing line of parked cars und the driver behind may not be aware of this.

But back to Lieben Dusty.. He need perhaps to make sure he keep his road position steady und indicate as early as reasonable his intentions to turn right.

By the way :welcome:

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 13:57 
User

I understand that you shouldnt really have too, but to avoid an accident, if a bike is behind you maybe you could indicate left, pull over, then indicate right and do your right turn when clear.

Bit of a faff, but it could help avoid an accident. I also am a biker, so as a car driver I try to do all I can for other bikers. True they shouldnt be overtaking you, but unfotunately misunderstandings do happen.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 00:44 
User

Dusty wrote:
Why oh why do motorcyclists (or a high percentage thereof ) seem to consider my action of slowing down and indicating right, preparitory to turning into my driveway, as an invitation to overtake?? Typically just as I am making my turn.

the occasional twit, one would expect, but this must be nearer 1 in 3! Whilst I can see that there may be some abiguity over the road layout I still find myself wondering why so many chose "I'm not sure what this guy intends to do, so I will blat past with full throttle" as the prefererd course of action over that of "I'm not sure what this guy intends to do so I will just hold back a moment and wait and see" :?

I do not wish to give the impression that I am in any way "Anti-bike". On the contrary I am more than willing to position myself on the road to allow bikers to pass both when they are behind me and when I see them appraoching slower traffic on the other side of the road coming towards me.

It is just that I find this particular situation perplexing :? :?

Quote:

So let me get this right.......1 in 3 bikers you recon??? so its not gonna be the same local one or two lads who use your street then????????
Mirror/Signal/Mirror/slow down to correct speed for turn( if ness stop!)/Check for oncomming traffic/Mirror(wing mirror)/IF SAFE TURN.............Ive ridden with bikers for about 34 yrs on and off and if someone ahead does it right Ive rarely seen a biker do it wrong. So I would wager that the 1 in 3 are local nutters who probably dont have a licence at all or you yourself are doing something wrong ( are your indicators working correctly for eg) 1 in 3 would mean THOUSANDS doing this up and down the country. AND WILL YOU PLEASE STOP TRYING TO HELP BIKERS.........its not your responsibility, your action of moving over can be as perplexing to many bikers as your dilemma is. I hate it when people move over and throw all the gutter crap up at me trying to be helpful,let me come to your house and blast you with a sand blaster for 5 mins. Please just drive normally in the correct position thats all I ask.When I see someone move over I dont think 'Oh how nice of that driver to make room for me.' No I think WTF is he doing, is he drunk, is on drugs, is he old and losing it? amongst other thoughts, and almost always the simple breeze past you becomes a delay because you have decided to drive differently and I have to watch you more closely! Please stop doing it!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:03 
Life Member
Life Member

Herbie J wrote:
AND WILL YOU PLEASE STOP TRYING TO HELP BIKERS.........its not your responsibility, your action of moving over can be as perplexing to many bikers as your dilemma is. I hate it when people move over and throw all the gutter crap up at me trying to be helpful,let me come to your house and blast you with a sand blaster for 5 mins. Please just drive normally in the correct position thats all I ask.When I see someone move over I dont think 'Oh how nice of that driver to make room for me.' No I think WTF is he doing, is he drunk, is on drugs, is he old and losing it? amongst other thoughts, and almost always the simple breeze past you becomes a delay because you have decided to drive differently and I have to watch you more closely! Please stop doing it!

Most of the bikers in my area appreciate it when a driver gives them a bit more space to get past a queue of cars, not that means diving into the gutter just sitting the car towards it than the crown. Next time I am crawling towards a pedestrian reservation would you prefer I stay where I am and make the biker wait until I can move past it or give him that extra couple of feet so he can comfortably get through?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 13:16 
Life Member
Life Member

If bikers hate me pulling over, why do so many of them thank me?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 17:37 
User

toltec wrote:
Herbie J wrote:
AND WILL YOU PLEASE STOP TRYING TO HELP BIKERS.........its not your responsibility, your action of moving over can be as perplexing to many bikers as your dilemma is. I hate it when people move over and throw all the gutter crap up at me trying to be helpful,let me come to your house and blast you with a sand blaster for 5 mins. Please just drive normally in the correct position thats all I ask.When I see someone move over I dont think 'Oh how nice of that driver to make room for me.' No I think WTF is he doing, is he drunk, is on drugs, is he old and losing it? amongst other thoughts, and almost always the simple breeze past you becomes a delay because you have decided to drive differently and I have to watch you more closely! Please stop doing it!

Most of the bikers in my area appreciate it when a driver gives them a bit more space to get past a queue of cars, not that means diving into the gutter just sitting the car towards it than the crown. Next time I am crawling towards a pedestrian reservation would you prefer I stay where I am and make the biker wait until I can move past it or give him that extra couple of feet so he can comfortably get through?

Why not make the biker wait, will the biker die if he has to queue in traffic for a bit? Bikers in towns and cities have enough advantages as it is without impromtu help.How many of those bikers actually needed you to move over? How many of those bikers have come across someone taking the same change of position only to then adopt another position without warning like a drunk perhaps? I have a friend who passed a car not only pulling over but indicating left at the same time on a single carriageway with no turn to the left................as he passed ,the driver turned right into a layby on oposite side of road. He was on life support for 2 weeks and very nearly died , would you like any better reasoning? The biker was at fault to some degree, probably got used to passing cars that pull to the side to help him :roll: If you know of any instructors who teach this I'd like to meet them. What you are doing is nothing more than taking matters into your own hands as many drivers do unfortunately. The only time I would thank car drivers for moving over is in a jam situation and bikes could then filter, but not romping down the road at 40,50 or 60. Any biker who accepts this action without extreme caution needs their riding skills looking at.

Last edited by Herbie J on Tue Jul 29, 2008 18:24, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 18:24 
User

Hi Herbie J what you are doing wrong (as a Born again Biker) is simple, you are as you say moving over to let the biker through the gap at a crossing / refuge for instance, nice thought and courteous :bighand: :bighand: but let the biker decide when to go through as they know the limits of their capabilities and their machine so just let them decide the right course of action to take.

As a BaB and an (IAM) advanced rider I personally like to make the decision to overtake or not as it is me who comes off worst if things go pear shaped on me at the LAST MINUTE! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Without being condescending to you it is your responsibilty to ensure your safety as much as it is the bikers responsibilty for their safety so please don,t try and think for both of us.

I have a simple rule on this one (from my exminer on my IAM test) when making an overtake for example I say to myself "can I / can,t I, yes / no" and if I have to say it twice or three times the answer is a categoric NO!

As you have been undecided what to do time has beaten you to it!!!!!!!!

"He Who Ain,t Made Mistakes Ain,t Made Anything"

Spannernut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 18:08 
User

Stormin wrote:
Hi Herbie J what you are doing wrong (as a Born again Biker) is simple, you are as you say moving over to let the biker through the gap at a crossing / refuge for instance, nice thought and courteous :bighand: :bighand: but let the biker decide when to go through as they know the limits of their capabilities and their machine so just let them decide the right course of action to take.

As a BaB and an (IAM) advanced rider I personally like to make the decision to overtake or not as it is me who comes off worst if things go pear shaped on me at the LAST MINUTE! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Without being condescending to you it is your responsibilty to ensure your safety as much as it is the bikers responsibilty for their safety so please don,t try and think for both of us.

I have a simple rule on this one (from my exminer on my IAM test) when making an overtake for example I say to myself "can I / can,t I, yes / no" and if I have to say it twice or three times the answer is a categoric NO!

As you have been undecided what to do time has beaten you to it!!!!!!!!

Its a good job I read things more than once :lol: at first glance I thought it was addressed at me :roll: :D Hello 'stormin' good way to put it.