It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 03:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 20:56 
User

[quote="

Quote:
Quote:
Not easily visible. That's a good one. I can see bikes about two miles away. I know this because I can - just - see moving bikes on a major road, and I measured on Google Maps how far it is from my house 8-)
Now, even at 60mph that's a couple of minutes 'warning' ;) But the real 'danger zone' for someone clobbering a bike is just 3 -4 seconds from impact; longer than that there's plenty of time for the rider to react.

So that leaves two aspects:
1. Who can't see a bike 3 seconds away (if they look)?
2. Is the rider commiting themself to a situation where they are totally reliant upon the other driver seeing them?

I used to do my own little test on people when training them. Following the basic eye test (reading standard No plate at distance 20.5m or 67 feet) I used to ask them to identify things at a known 300feet... You would be alarmed to know how many people couldnt identify a wheelie bin or which way a car was facing . Now imagine those same people with a full car licence (many were) doing 70mph or more down the highways and byways when the indicated overall stopping dist at 70 is 315feet methinks eyesight test inadequate.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 19:42 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
[quote="Herbie J]methinks eyesight test inadequate.[/quote]

More like inappropriate .reading a number plate at xx yards is one thing - recognising something liable to cause problems further than that is something else .At work I have to have an eyesight test yearly ,in which I might have to distinguish between "H" and "N".In my real work world, I need to spot 125mph trains a lot further than that (possibly up to a mile ,thats 30seconds of alarm time ).My safety ,and that of my mates depends on it .
Strange that in practice at work ,the older ones ,whose vision might be regarded as poorest have the best response times.Something to do with lizard brain perhaps .

Profile Send private message