The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 15:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:58 
New User
New User

:boxedin:

Hi all,

I'm about to book my pratcial test and want to get a 'standard bike' licence (ie, not a 'light bike'). DSA rules say that my test bike should be capable of 100kph (61mph). If I was smaller maybe my bike would do that!! but I'm 6'2" and 14st, and the best I can get on a level road is 56mph. Does anyone know, please, how critical this ruling is, and whether the test centres measure your bike speed or check it from a list of suitable bikes? Thanks for your help, guys and gals. I'll be out there in the thick of it with you soon!

Regards

Big53al

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:19 
User

Hi there!

If you want to do your big bike test you have to be accompanied by an instructor whilst on L plates anyway, so you'd be better off going with a school.

AFAIK you can't legally ride solo (unacompanied) on anything over 125cc on L plates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:39 
User

:welcome:

The bike will be shown on a DVLA approved list for the speed. The fact that the bike is capable has nothing to do with the size of the rider. I know that I'd hate to be riding round on a CG 125 at your size so can fully understand why you want to take your full test.

Sixy, I think you can once you've passed your CBT based on your age. I know I've seen some people riding bigger than 125cc on L plates. It's gotten a lot more complicated since they brought in the Advanced test :x

Yes, more info http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_4022568

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:41 

As you are aware there are 3 types of license

A1 Lightweight (don't bother) test bike is between 75cc and 120cc (e.g. suzuki GN100 - allows you to ride a 125cc bike forever

A restricted (cat 2 restriction for 2 years) test bike is 120 - 125cc - allows you to ride a bike with up to 33bph for 2 years and then no restriction

A (DAS) test bike must produce 47bhp or more (e.g. cb 500)

I assume your bike is over 120cc bike in which case you are fine

if so it the bike that needs to be capable not you.

Six is correct - you MUST be accompanied by a cartington DAS instructor and be in radio contact if you are riding as a learner on anything over 125cc.

If you've seen people riding 500s on l-plates they are either lost, instructors or riding back from a test.

Last thing - when you take your test - tell the examiner, that your bike struggles to do much over 60-65mph because you are heavy.

He should take this into account. They normally don't care as long as you acceleratele briskly and safely when you hit the NSL. Note also that he may be in a 1 litre car or on an old Beemer R80. In which case you'll probably still pull away

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:33 
New User
New User

:)
Thanks for your responses!

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I'm learning on a Virago XV125, and hope to use that for the test. I'll be content to get the restricted licence (Class A cat2, as diy said) - I cant' afford Direct Access and am content to burble around for a couple of years. (During that time I can always borrow my daughter's Aprilia RS125 if I get a sudden urge to scare myself silly!)

Yes, I'll mention it to the examiner and hope that he/she is a reasonable type!

Regards,

Big53al

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:43 
User

Ahh, right - for some reason I'd got it into my head that you were hoping to test for a full (unrestricted) licence... :roll:

Best of luck and don't worry about it. Have fun and enjoy!

(BTW Stick around, you might just enjoy youself!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 15:51 

the virago 535 restricts well to 33bhp as does any of the 650 twins. (eg suzuki Sv650) or honda v-strom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 16:22 
User

diy wrote:
the virago 535 restricts well to 33bhp as does any of the 650 twins. (eg suzuki Sv650) or honda v-strom

It was the virago 535's, probably restricted, that I've seen them on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 16:32 
Gold Member
Gold Member

R1Nut wrote:
diy wrote:

It was the virago 535's, probably restricted, that I've seen them on.

Isn't there a Virago 125? That's more likely to have the 'L' plate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 21:53 
New User
New User

:boxedin:

Thanks again folks for the advice and good wishes.

Yes, there is indeed a Virago 125 - mine is one, complete with L-plates for just a few weeks longer. It looks identical to the 250 (both V-twins). Mine's a German import, 1997 - only 6k miles and still nice 'n' shiny thanks to previous owners. Yes, dammit! I've discovered I'm still a poser at the age of 54 !!

Good to hear that the 535 might be a nice option if I ever get the urge to make a bit more noise. I'll let you all know how the "100kph" rule works out after the test. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 08:05 

big53al wrote:
Perhaps I should have mentioned that I'm learning on a Virago XV125, and hope to use that for the test.

I took my test on an XV125 back in 2000

The only thing I was concerned about was the turning circle. Fur the U-turn my tester said he would use a road that he usualy only tester bigger bikes on.

(BTW I am 6ft and 15st. top speed was not an issue because the routes used for 125 bikes were mainly urban)

I did love that little bike. My longest single journey was Anglesey and back, over 400 miles at 55 miles per hour (or 65 with a following wind).. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 15:47 
User

I had one loaned to me while my GSX600F was taken in for a rattle to be investigated - I had an interview and desperately needed an alternative as only had a bike then. It was awful to ride giving me a numb arse in about 20 minutes. Even worse was the offside wing mirror worked itself loose with the vibration and, despite regular tightening while travelling along the motorway, fell off!

BTW the GSXF rattle was the cam belt. I got the job, doubled my salary and traded in the GSXF for the R1. One day I'll get another when I have the money. It was a hoot to ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 16:10 

I had a gsx600f - did 40k on it - never went wrong.

I would describe it as being reasonably good at everything. Still the most reliable bike I've owned.

and I only lost 600 quid depreciation on it in 3 years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 16:12 

forgot to say that the honda varidaro is also available as a 125, and until you look at the motor and brakes, its hard to spot the difference to the 650

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 15:09 
New User
New User

It's funny you should mention the numb bum......... me too!! :o