Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Car or Bike
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 17:06 
User

Ever felt restricted by the lack of space on the bike if you have to take the family out?

I found this helpful item while at the American Cemetery at Omaha Beach in Normandy, France.
The rider had obviously traveled a lot of miles and missed having to leave his favourite pooch at home. The answer was unusual and eyecatching.

I'm not sure if it would catch on, although if the police are facing cutbacks, they could always merge the Dog Unit with the Motorcycle Patrols! :lol:

On a more sobering thought though, the cemeteries around the invasion beaches are something else.
If you ever wondered at the futility of war, or the high price paid, then I recommend a visit.
I chatted to a German couple at one site away from the main ones, and I felt embarrassed that the memorials to the allied soldiers are all bedecked in French, British, American and Canadian flags, but no German ones.

Many of their soldiers were just doing a job they were told to do by their politicians - just like our soldiers.
The war could have been stopped before it began if the political strength had been there at the right time, and appeasement had not had it's day. :oops:
When we honour our dead, then why not have them honour theirs too?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Car or Bike
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 19:11 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ernest Marsh wrote:
...the memorials to the allied soldiers are all bedecked in French, British, American and Canadian flags, but no German ones...

I'm being a pedant, but....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 17:51 
User

Hmm. The AMERICAN cemetery at Omaha beach has the full set of allied flags - and it's most noticeable at the numerous little museums which are everywhere. One museum features a German big gun Battery - and still had no German flag!

The memorial at which I met the German couple has only just been placed there - and it's a shame it did not acknowledge the sacrifices of ordinary men on both sides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 17:54 

Ernest Marsh wrote:
The memorial at which I met the German couple has only just been placed there - and it's a shame it did not acknowledge the sacrifices of ordinary men on both sides.

Maybe if we had suffered 4 years of brutal occupation and genocide we may struggle to recogines the axis losses as well. It was a machine gunner on Omaha beach who had the dubious honour of having the highest kill count of allied forces of anyone in the German army during WWII.