Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 05:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Roundabout hiatus
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 08:28 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I had a near miss on a roundabout last night. I don't know whether it was an A pillar obstruction issue, inexperienced driver or the road markings being indistinct on rainy nights, or possibly all 3. I entered a small roundabout to turn right. The car on the next entrance hadn't seen me, or hadn't seen the roundabout at all and pulled right in front of me just as I was on on the roundabout. For some reason I had taken a slightly different route on the roundabout. Had I taken my normal tighter route around then I don't know whether she would have seen me and not pulled out in the first place or whether we would have hit as she pulled onto the roundabout then promptly stopped where I normally would have ended up using the other route!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 09:33 
Life Member
Life Member

I had a near miss caused by a mini roundabout with two rings of surface one of tarmac on of brick paving. the roundabout os on a strange slant. When I approached all I could see was the signs and inner kerb. The driver approaching could see the full roundabout and although he was turning right approached the roundabout in the left hand lane. From my view his approach was to take thefirst exit not turn right

plan view
his view
It is clear from this view the path cars take when turning right is the long way round the roundabout but from the approach it looks like any one turning right would go close to the 2 meter wide mini roundabout. In fact the photo shows cars going right and streight ahead take exactly the same path.
From my view the red brick circle was non existant. I have had to stop reading road position and rely 100% on peoples indicators.... or lack of indicators. I will try and get a photo to back up this point.

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 09:37 
User

FWIW, a similar thing happened to me a couple of months ago. I was towing my caravan and wanted to take the second exit from a roundabout. The young lady driver in a Pugeot 206 waiting at the entrance between stopped to give way to the car in front of me and then pulled out to turn left as I was alongside her. I couldn't stop behind her and was already commited to the exit, so I pulled out as far to the right as I could. Both of us stopped with her car neatly trapped alongside my rear wheel, unable to go forward because of the nose of my car and unable to go backward because of my trailer. I had to reverse about ten feet before she could move!

I wasn't sure whether we'd collided, so I asked her to pull into the layby a couple of hundred yards up the road. There was no damage to either vehicle, so the I must assume the thunk I felt was the trailer brakes applying more ferociously than ever before or since! She claimed she hadn't seen me (a LWB 4x4 towing 6.5 metres of caravan!) Since I would have been head-on to her when she should have looked right, and since most people look where they're going when they start to move off, I could accept this was down to "killer pillars". Anyway - no harm done and I left her with the URL for www.smidsy.org.uk