Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Stupid overtaking
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:00 
User

Yesterday morning on the way to work, travelling north on the A77 in the area covered by the specs cameras, backed off to about 50 going round a slight left hand bend because there is no visibility due to trees on the inside and came face to face with someone overtaking a HGV on the short straight after the bend, an emergency stop gave him just enought room to slip back onto his side of the road, I think the HGV braked as well when it was clear he wasn't going to back off and drop in behind.

HGV was probably doing 40 and the idiot might just have got up to the 60 limit as he was passing it. It definately counts as a near miss as I thought "shit he's going to hit me" as I came to a halt. It left me wondering just how slow I would have to go round the bend to be able to stop easliy without getting hit, the bend is slight enough that you hardly notice going round it at 60 but I have met several drivers trying stupid overtaking moves (in both directions) on that short straight over the years.

Duncan Macarthur

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Stupid overtaking
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 13:47 

duncanmac wrote:
I have met several drivers trying stupid overtaking moves (in both directions) on that short straight over the years.

Then it's likely there is something in the layout of the road which misleads drivers.

Or some other external influence, is this within the SPECS zone or just outside?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 20:08 
User

Homer wrote:
duncanmac wrote:
I have met several drivers trying stupid overtaking moves (in both directions) on that short straight over the years.

Then it's likely there is something in the layout of the road which misleads drivers.

Since I've been driving the road for 13 years and know it well its difficult to say, maybe the bends at each end of the straight look like they won't hide other traffic. The incident on Thursday morning was in the dark but although the HGV driver would be able to see my lights around the bend the driver behind probably wouldn't have.

Homer wrote:
Or some other external influence, is this within the SPECS zone or just outside?

It is in the specs zone about 3 miles south of Maybole, the car going south could have been rushing for a ferry at Stranraer.

I actually saw more stupid driving this morning in Maybole itself, while still in the 30 limit and built up area a HGV overtook a car that was itself doing more than 30mph (it was pulling away from me). the car had to brake sharply to let the HGV in as a car appeared in the opposite direction. The HGV was then stuck in a line of traffic doing an average of about 45mph all the way to Ayr so this desperate overtake was effecively for nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 21:08 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
HMM - question - is there much of a time between ferries - and another - is there any chance of the ferry being full up - reason i ask - not so similar parallel - we used to see this before the balaslush bridge was built - panic overtaking, especialy in the summertime by locals ( well invernesshire /argyll regs) of tourists on the way to the ferry - presumably so as not to have to wait too long etc - impatience --shortens life.And Specs to come - once in it ,little chance to get past a slowie or one who might make you miss next ferry.

Possibility???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 22:06 
User

botach wrote:
HMM - question - is there much of a time between ferries - and another - is there any chance of the ferry being full up - reason i ask - not so similar parallel - we used to see this before the balaslush bridge was built - panic overtaking, especialy in the summertime by locals ( well invernesshire /argyll regs) of tourists on the way to the ferry - presumably so as not to have to wait too long etc - impatience --shortens life.And Specs to come - once in it ,little chance to get past a slowie or one who might make you miss next ferry.

Possibility???

I've never used the ferries myself so I don't know the frequency of sailings but we rarely see a ferry in port when we go down that way so they can't be very frequent. We often get huge convoys of traffic travelling north after a ferry arrives, we are over 30 miles from Stranraer and the convoy still hasn't dispersed.

Average speed on the single carriageway section controlled by the specs cameras has certainly reduced since they were introduced, even with the new motorway from Fenwick it now takes me 20 minutes longer to get to Glasgow and if people have not realised this they could suddenly realise that they are going to be late for their ferry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 22:38 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
duncanmac - looking at the bits - only idea i could think of - like human nature - get in front of fred - he might get the last lace n the ferry - long shot - but u never know.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 08:45 

duncanmac wrote:
Homer wrote:

It is in the specs zone about 3 miles south of Maybole, the car going south could have been rushing for a ferry at Stranraer.

Then it's possible the driver was attempting to overtake at a lower speed than he would have in the absence of SPECS and misjudged the extra distance he would need?

We all know how much road we need to pass a HGV given a free reign to pass the speed limit briefly. But if you are also trying to keep your average speed below the limit then all your experience counts for nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 09:57 
User

Homer wrote:
duncanmac wrote:
Homer wrote:

Then it's possible the driver was attempting to overtake at a lower speed than he would have in the absence of SPECS and misjudged the extra distance he would need?

We all know how much road we need to pass a HGV given a free reign to pass the speed limit briefly. But if you are also trying to keep your average speed below the limit then all your experience counts for nothing.

That's something I hadn't thought of, usually when you have been stuck behind a HGV for a while in the specs zone you have a bit of leeway to exceed the limit and still keep your average down, but if he was in a hurry and had been pushing the limit and then just come up behind the HGV he might have tried to cruise past without breaking the limit.