Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 21:37 
Gold Member
Gold Member

This evening I was at a junction where the main road turns 90 degrees left and another road joins at the bend which is aligned more or less straight on from the main road. I wanted to go up the minor road (effectively turning right) and was signalling right, positioned at the white line and waiting for the traffic coming from my left to clear before proceeding. Just as I went to pull across, I saw out of the corner of my eye a cyclist coming along my outside (i.e. along the white line). He then went left around the front of my car to go along the main road. It was amazing that I didn't hit him. He, of course, turned and gave me the finger to show his displeasure (all the while not looking where he was going).

Now, I don't think any driver in this situation would look to see if anyone was overtaking them before turning right. Your attention is focussed on the traffic streams ahead of you and to the left. The responsibility is surely on the person behind to not do this type of foolish action.

What do others think?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 21:53 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
I concur, but we've got that magic bit of paper ,they lack ,a driving licence. We've been taught to look for hazards. Perhaps ,now is the time to suggest that cyclists start to go back to road safety school and get some training. Or perhaps it's time to get some legislation in force to ensure they get properly trained before they are allowed on the road .Not going to make me a favourite with the cycling brigade, but ,they either get their house in order or stand in line to get legislation to ensure that they are competent to be on the roads .And that won't be something that's far from being needed .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 04:15 
Site Admin

I watched the new 'Free Speech' TV show the other night, where they had a lively discussion about cyclists training before venturing out. A new Radio 1 dj was cycling about and she admitted how completely unsure she was of where she ought to be and she instinctively knew she was in danger and felt uncomfortable. She wanted to be trained (and that was discussed), and I think for any who do not hold a suitable motoring licence it is becoming a serious issue that some cyclists seem to not have a clue about their positioning not only from any safety self preservation point of view but from a predictability point of view too.

What that chap thought he was doing is anyone's guess! It was just so staggeringly dangerous !
Just mad ! He endangered your life, his life and potentially other lives too, and had their been an incident it might have been deadly.
If you were in your 'taller car' I wonder if that extra height, might have helped you catch a movement in a mirror perhaps, that made you double check ?
I agree in that situation your main focus is on the forward potential action, and perhaps just a brief glance behind you.

Predictable road behaviour is crucial for road safety.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 09:37 
User

http://www.dft.gov.uk/bikeability/the-t ... or-adults/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:22 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I've seen similar to your situation Malcolm, not me affected but just ahead, from a kid on one of those crazy frog sounding motorbikes.

The finger, well horn, came from the driver instead; quite rightly although not my style. They must be half human half lemming.. :headache:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 14:25 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Passing someone indicating right, on their right, in order to continue onwards, is extremely foolhardy. The actions of the cyclist seem to indicate ignorance, aggressiveness and competitiveness.

IIRC (I don't watch TV), there was a "Think Bike" advert that portrayed a motorcyclist being clipped by a right-turning vehicle; I think it was implying that drivers should be checking on their right even when turning right. While not entirely reasonable, it does help cater for the idiots.

However, there is only so much one can do.

If you were on the left bend such that you couldn’t see much behind (because you were at the angle of the bend), and the cyclist came screaming past you on your right such that you had no warning of their approach, then there is absolutely nothing you can do.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 14:32 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The location is the junction at the centre of here:

http://g.co/maps/b8hjn

I was coming from the bottom right and turning into the road heading to the top of the frame.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 14:47 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Regular occurrence near me ,and also near to one junction on the ring road . And it's always some kid on something with small wheels.
But then again ,it's not always kids on bikes. Had a similar experience the other day ,coming out of Asda. Had moved from inside of roundabout to middle of road ,indicating to take the next exit almost level with the third exit(Bus station exit), when I stopped to let a bus out. The bus stayed put.It was only when I looked in the nearside mirror that I saw an ancient Merc deciding not to wait,and trying to pass me on the inside . Normally I'd have been further over,but a couple of cars had got caught out by the pedestrian lights and were blocking the inside(something that cannot be seen on entry due to the "Britain in bloom" entry in the centre of the island).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 15:22 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Thanks for the location Malcolm. It does suggests your vision behind could well have been limited such that you couldn't have had a warning. Judging by the angle on the junction (as shown in the Google Maps image), the right wing and rear view mirror probably wouldn't have been of much use. I think it is unreasonable for you to have checked your left wing mirror.

It beggars belief that anyone would want to go around you to continue left at that junction. If they were so desperate to pass, why didn't they do so on the inside? If there were other cars to the left of you preventing a pass, then it is outright wrong for anyone to assume the cars to the right were going left too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 19:55 

Quote:
This evening I was at a junction where the main road turns 90 degrees left and another road joins at the bend which is aligned more or less straight on from the main road. I wanted to go up the minor road (effectively turning right) and was signalling right, positioned at the white line and waiting for the traffic coming from my left to clear before proceeding. Just as I went to pull across, I saw out of the corner of my eye a cyclist coming along my outside (i.e. along the white line). He then went left around the front of my car to go along the main road. It was amazing that I didn't hit him. He, of course, turned and gave me the finger to show his displeasure (all the while not looking where he was going).

If he does that on a daily basis, I would say you (or anyone else on this planet) won't see him do that too many times more...;-)

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 22:37 

I actually had a close one here http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=hinstoc ... 02.02,,0,0

one morning when driving a van for parcelforce, it was about 6AM and virtually no traffic about, I was going to turn right at the junction and had already checked my mirror and started indicating ( I always do regardless of any other traffic about, I feel it is good practice despite what certain other bodies recommend) but just as I was about to pull into the right filter lane checked again only to see a BMW just about to whizz past on my right (overtaking me) at about 80MPH. Just as well as I did really but at that time of morning was suprised to see anything coming up out of the blue so fast (or overtake on double white lines)...but it just goes to show!

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 00:20 
Site Admin

I must say I am flabbergasted ! Having looked at the location I just cannot imagine what might have possibly possessed anyone to ever want to pass a vehicle indicating right and to deliberately go around the outside !
Even if he had turned right from the road you were heading into, and to then still travel to your outside would still be highly suspect, it is exceptionally puzzling. The only conclusion I have come to so far is that perhaps he thought the road went 'straight' and got the shock of their life to see that in fact it headed to the left ? Was there anything about his riding that might have led you to think they made a late decision or having to 'hang onto' their bike with a sharp left turn ? (Deciding to go with the road left and hope you wouldn't turn into them, that being the lesser of the two evils, from a potential oncoming car collision?)

As the driver you would need to be very aware behind you, and back up the road, and then keep a very wary eye on all mirrors and so on. I think you did very well indeed to see him. :lol: I hoped he was thanking you in his head, as he cycled off. I take it your saw no hand wave of thanks? Or even thanks and apology?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:48 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
I hoped he was thanking you in his head, as he cycled off. I take it your saw no hand wave of thanks? Or even thanks and apology?

Apparently there was a hand gesture but not a civil one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:41 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Steve wrote:

He was probably making a gesture to indicate "next time I meet you, I'll buy you a cup of coffee" :twisted:

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 23:28 
Site Admin

Steve wrote:
SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
I hoped he was thanking you in his head, as he cycled off. I take it your saw no hand wave of thanks? Or even thanks and apology?

Really - gosh that's awful! What is the matter with people? :?